Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obesity is one the worst choices a person can make" - Obese News Anchor rages @ email

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Every euro spent on obestiy-related disease is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What's a bit odd is you policing an AH thread telling people to mind the wording they use to describe fat people, ahem sorry Obese.
    If you think you are going to turn AH into a sensitive and nice place to read posts, i feel sorry for you.:pac:

I'm not telling you to mind your wording - where have I done this?
    I have stated how some peoples wording might come across.
    I hope your able to see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

mitosis wrote: »

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

I'm pretty sure obese people know there's a prooblem. They're overweight, not blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Iceboy wrote: »
    To be honest with you, It wasn't the fact that she is overweight that angers me.
    The problem and the reason I am irritated is that she did this publicly and looked like a complete idiot to anyone who actually listened to her little rant/speech.

1) She didn't have to give it in the first place and could have just ignored it.
    2) She tied in obesity with race, gender, etc.... stereotypes to make the situation much larger then it already was
    3) She contradicted herself numerous times in the span of the 4 minute speech which makes her sound delusional and idiotic.
    4) She admits she is overweight but doesn't address the negative sides of being overweight from a health related stand point.
    5) The original letter send to her never needed to be sent, however it was as respectfully written as possible given the topic.
    6) This is the reason why "bullying" is getting so out of hand. Bullying used to be picking on other people. Now anything is considered bullying.

Also yes. I would gladly say this to her face.

I am obese due to a few things.
    I snapped an achilles tendon meaning that I could not exercise correctly for over a year.
    I broke my neck last year

AND

I suffer from depression.

merge those three things, over the past 5 years and I think that I can understand why I gained weight.
    Of course the snapped Achilles and broken neck came from my attempts at controlling my weight.

I exercise hard 5 times a week for over an hour at a time and only now am I starting to again get control of my weight. I eat less than most of my mates but I have always tended to have a very slow resting metabolism,, once I get fit it takes off but takes a while to get therer.

TLDR: You (and the mail writer) do not know her personal circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JACK BE NIMBLE

http://video.news8000.com/watch.php?id=36335

In short

-Overweight news anchor lady reads email on TV that someone sent her telling her to lose weight because she's setting a bad example for the community
    -She posts it on her FB and gets showered with support and compliments from what looks like more obese people
    -Starts spouting typical fat person denial stuff, "I'm more than a number on a scale", "you dont know me!"
    -Claims to be a victim of a bully and compares herself to others who have issues such as acne or disabilities.

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin. Obesity is 100% a personal choice she should not be comparing herself to others who have issues they can't control. The email wasn't even hateful but If I were the email writer, I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

I am truly disgusted with her. its not that she is fat, its her blind justification for it.

Is not owning up to your faults a generational thing or are we seriously so deluded in this generation we compare obesity to gender inequality and racial disrimination?

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy. Humans are becoming more pathetic by the day, you can't even tell someone the truth (even sugar coat it to hell) without them getting rattled to pieces.

Thinly Veiled ...................... Oh Wait
    (Sorry coudn't resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rodin wrote: »
    Every euro spent on obestiy-related disease is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Some cancers are obesity related.

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm not telling you to mind your wording - where have I done this?
    I have stated how some peoples wording might come across.
    I hope your able to see the difference.

It's AH, you are probably the only one who worries about how wording "comes across".
    Then again, you have dated fat burds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Fat birds need love too

glasso wrote: »
    desperation is the mother of consideration

That can be cured - maybe belittler's attitudes towards others can't!

• Advertisement

It's AH, you are probably the only one who worries about how wording "comes across".

Indeed I have and I'm the better educated for it.
    I consider myself lucky to have gained their company and further insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Rodin wrote: »

Every euro spent on sports related injuries is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on pre and ante natal care is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on car accident injuries is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on sexually transmitted diseases is a euro not spent on cancers of varying type

By the way, fat people pay taxes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fat birds need love too

She's gone past the fat stage, she's now obese. Think of a widescreen TV with 2 punctured footballs attached.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

She lost the point when she went on about bulimia awareness and how emails such as that can drive people to it. Even though the email she read mentioned advising on healthy living.

In other news, her coat reminded me of a canvas I saw thrown over a pickup truck once.

Indeed I have and I'm the better educated for it.
    I consider myself lucky to have gained their company and further insight.

Fat is an education now is it?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Feeona wrote: »
    Not that many it appears, just had a look at her and she isn't massive by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT : I don't know, people who sit at home and pontificate on what other people should or shouldn't be like have a lot of growing up to do. The guy who wrote the email admitted he hadn't seen the show in a while, yet he felt the uncontrollable urge to tell the anchor to shape up? Why does he think that she wanted his 'advice'? Anyone with half a brain knows that even well meaning advice delivered by friends and family can be a harsh blow, so what made this guy think that the anchor would be delighted with his? The simple answer is he knew that she wouldn't be happy to hear his 'advice', because he knows in his heart and soul that he sent that email to belittle her, not help her.

It was a joke :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, it's AH, not a fooking playground.

Fat is an education now is it?
    :pac:

Better any reason to help gain an education than remain inexperienced and more stupid!

Einhard wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, it's AH, not a fooking playground.

Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

It was a joke :rolleyes:

My original post was a joke too :rolleyes:

Better any reason to help gain an education than remain inexperienced and more stupid!

More stupid? :pac:

• Advertisement

How old are you, seriously??

More stupid? :pac:

I imagine it's a danger for people reading your posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Every euro spent on sports related injuries is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on pre and ante natal care is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on car accident injuries is a euro not spent on cancers of varying types

Every euro spent on sexually transmitted diseases is a euro not spent on cancers of varying type

The ones that work who haven't had a heart attack, or are visually impaired from diabetic retinopathy.
    It is an obscenity that people in this world die from malnutrition and others because they are greedy and have poor selfcontrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How old are you, seriously??

His username say's it all really:rolleyes:

Ah i'm sorry i hurt your feelings fatties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

....I don't want to live on this planet anymore

sports related injuries,car accidents....

are you foking serious

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized
    Or some other self-justifying crap.

She most probably is obese. The classification of obesity is a BMI of >= 30 (calculated by weight and height). At a conservative guess, she's 5,4 around 180+ pounds.
    Thats 31/32 BMI.

I can see both sides of this, over weight people are going to shout genetics, skinny people will shout over eating/lack of exercise and people who were overweight and lost it will say its a mix of both.

In fairness to the person that wrote the letter, if she's been the same weight for several years then she could do herself a favor and get the weight down. The benefits are endless.

As for those shouting about genetics, its an excuse. Build a bridge.

Whats the bad news?

Ah i'm sorry i hurt your feelings fatties.

Your one of those Irishmen with a very small willie aren't you?:)

Madam wrote: »

You must be fat.:D

• Advertisement

In fairness to the person that wrote the letter, if she's been the same weight for several years then she could do herself a favor and get the weight down. The benefits are endless.

Look, as another poster pointed out, the guy who sent the email didn't do it because he was so concerned about her, and wanted a positive intervention. He did it either beacuse he was an overbearing, patronising busybody, or because he wanted to belittle her. Either way, he's a fuppin douchebag.

Does she need to lose weight? yes. Does she need some moron whom she doesn't even know to tell her so? No.

You must be fat.:D

They don't call me two ton tess for nothing:)

are you foking serious

All self inflicted conditions, yes. I'm serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

are you foking serious

Which bit of money spent on injuries caused by personal choices means that that money is not spent on cancers of varying types don't you get?

Also, why do you keep putting on 5 stone or so when it is, as you say, easy to keep off?

Shhhhhhh.....

Jesus Christ, we're trying to cover that up!!

Stop bringing it up...

Nothing to see here people, dum dee dum...

:cool:

They don't call me two ton tess for nothing:)

You see, i like that, personality goes a long way.
    I'm only on the wind up, but i don't like people looking for sympathy.

'Ooh look at me, people don't understand me'

P*ss off mate, nobody cares :p

Feeona wrote: »
    'Ooh look at me, people don't understand me'

P*ss off mate, nobody cares :p

Ask me bollix ye transvestite.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

"I want to take a moment to address a situation that centres around me. ME. me me me me. I love cake. Me. Delicious cake. Think I'll go home and eat three entire packets of biscuits after this. Me me me me me."

That basically sums up what she said, more or less.

• Advertisement

Ask me bollix ye transvestite.:P

I already asked them, nuts the pair of them!

Thats a fair enough opinion.

I personally don't think she was looking for any.
    She came across as a person that has a nice character which is well able to stand up for itself.

She did thank those that contacted her (or her husband) which was nice.
    Regular viewers to her show I'm guessing appreciated that.

In the clip available I never seen her looking for sympathy or making out in any way that she was looking for any.

You say "personality goes a long way" - and I agree.
    Her personality seems to have taken her to where she is today - regardless of how she looks.
    Its good to see then that some people have good insight to not just judge a book by its cover.

"I want to take a moment to address a situation that centres around me. ME. me me me me. I love cake. Me. Delicious cake. Think I'll go home and eat three entire packets of biscuits after this. Me me me me me."

'Nobody cares what I say or takes me seriously. I've been passed over for promotion so many times, it's frustrating. Women don't seem to like me either, they think I"m over bearing and sleazy. So to make myself feel better, I'll spend my time belittling others via email to make myself feel like the big guy.'

And this basically sums up the email the guy sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't get how being fat is setting a bad example. That's like saying that having cancer is setting a bad example. Both can be consequences of an underlying problem like addiction for example, and that in itself is a disease.

Now if she was telling people to live just like her, then that would be setting a bad example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Dammit, looks like cancer treatment is eating up the health budget!

A "Fat Tax" on food served in restaurants and takeaways must be the way forward so.

Option 1: Continue to get abuse in silence. Letting the insulter's continue.
    Option 2: Reply with reason/wisdom without retorting to equal low-level personal attacks.

So if she says nothing - the email idiot gets away with continuing possible insulting! Fat people today - some other person tomorrow for another reason!

..And if she speaks up and puts across her own position - she wrong?

Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't with some people here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

While I have my own opinions on weight (heck, i'm carrying a fair few spare llbs myself right now), what kind of sad pathetic freak takes the time to write her a letter telling her off for being big? Seriously?

I would never write to someone to tell them I didn't like the colour of their hair, or the top they wore 2 weeks ago. It's the same difference. She's immaculately turned out, wears professional and appropriate clothing. That's where our concern for her appearance should end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Iceboy, by your refusal to answer any questions put to you, I guess we are to assume that you are in fact both fat and full of self loathing and so project this loathing onto other people whom you deem to suffer from the same condition as yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized

I'm not keen on these terms either, but this newsreader never tries to explain away her appearance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement