Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obesity is one the worst choices a person can make" - Obese News Anchor rages @ email

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

While I have my own opinions on weight (heck, i'm carrying a fair few spare llbs myself right now), what kind of sad pathetic freak takes the time to write her a letter telling her off for being big? Seriously?

I would never write to someone to tell them I didn't like the colour of their hair, or the top they wore 2 weeks ago. It's the same difference. She's immaculately turned out, wears professional and appropriate clothing. That's where our concern for her appearance should end.

Well said.

She comes across as clear, professional, well presented, possession in clarity of thoughts and frankly a sound person who probably also would be fun to accompany on any one to one or large social gathering.

Rather one of her please than ten short-sighted insulting idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

mitosis wrote: »
    She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized
    Or some other self-justifying crap.

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

Why did you post this twice? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

She talks a lot about setting an example for children. Fat parents are more likely to have fat children, great example shes setting for her own. But sure who cares if they're fat as long as no one 'bullies' them by pointing it out.

The email was unnecessary, the response even more so. Fair play to her for managing to get payed to talk such ****e, I'd love that job myself.

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats a fair enough opinion.

I personally don't think she was looking for any.
    She came across as a person that has a nice character which is well able to stand up for itself.

She did thank those that contacted her (or her husband) which was nice.
    Regular viewers to her show I'm guessing appreciated that.

In the clip available I never seen her looking for sympathy or making out in any way that she was looking for any.

You say "personality goes a long way" - and I agree.
    Her personality seems to have taken her to where she is today - regardless of how she looks.
    Its good to see then that some people have good insight to not just judge a book by its cover.

I did say I was on the wind up.
    My weight isn't perfect myself, so I can laugh anything off.
    And I wouldn't judge anyone by their weight at all, just can't take anything too serious in the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't get how being fat is setting a bad example. That's like saying that having cancer is setting a bad example. Both can be consequences of an underlying problem like addiction for example, and that in itself is a disease.
    we're going from one extreme to the other here now.

Being fat is rarely like having cancer, it's rarely a case of your body having a problem, for the most part you have to actively put too many calories into your body to make it fat. Cancer can just happen even though lifestyles can increase your chance of cancer you can still get it even if you do all the right things.

Being fat can be a symptom of mental problems and depression I'd agree with that but at the same time people with perfect mental health can end up overweight.

It's increasingly easy to end up overweight in todays society, we have highly efficient bodies that are designed to survive famine and starvation periods. Our food is full of calories and we have bellies that are designed to crave high calorie food.

We also don't have to do anything to get our food so we don't work it off. We don't have to walk, we don't have to run, we don't have to spend hours preparing our food anymore.

It's easy to say people should exercise but even that goes against your inner animal that wants you to do as little as possible for the highest rewards. Exercise is horribly boring for the most part, you get little reward for it in the short term so your not as inclined to do it. It takes a special kind of freak to actually enjoy running on the spot for any length of time.

The modern society we live in breeds fat people, nothing will change until the way we live changes. Luckily I think we'll be forced to change through overpopulation, peak oil and the folly of infinite growth economies. So not to worry, the next generation won't have the opportunity to be fat, we'll go down in history as one of the last of the decadent societies. Enjoy it while you can.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    She talks a lot about setting an example for children...

I think if you listen to the video again you might learn she was talking about examples for not letting bully (intimidation) deeply effect a person and that they shouldn't be accepted.

She said NOTHING about setting examples as regards weight.
    Maybe your watching a different video clip.

I did say I was on the wind up.
    My weight isn't perfect myself, so I can laugh anything off.
    And I wouldn't judge anyone by their weight at all, just can't take anything too serious in the Internet.

No argument there whatsoever.
    I guessed you were on the wind-up - others here didn't though, they thought you were serious.
    It was to them that I directed by comments about people being NOT stupid possibly but just uneducated further in such matters such as these.

As for the man that sent the nice lady the email, I personally don't know what his real problem was/is but I bet its hard to pronounce!
    I wonder would he have liked people to retort and insult him if he was suffering from something!

Peace and best wishes. :)

No argument there whatsoever.
    I guessed you were on the wind-up - others here didn't though, they thought you were serious.
    It was to them that I directed by comments about people being NOT stupid possibly but just uneducated further in such matters such as these.

As for the man that sent the nice lady the email, I personally don't know what his real problem was/is but I bet its hard to pronounce!
    I wonder would he have liked people to retort and insult him if he was suffering from something!

Peace and best wishes. :)

My issues with the news lady is she did exactly what the emailer wanted.
    The best thing you can do to someone slagging you over your weight, is be more confident in yourself and ignore, it's probably a hard thing to do when you are in the limelight (again my issue is she wants to broadcast it to everyone), it would have to have stronger words than it did to be branded as bullying IMO, sure it wasn't nice, but the Internet isn't a nice place.
    But yep, peace and best wishes.;)

No, she shrewdly promoted herself and got a load of publicity for herself and the station she works for. I can guarantee you a publicity board meeting took place before all of her comments. It wouldn't even surprise me if the emailer didn't even exist. Maybe it's just a coincidence the email came in on national anti bullying month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

As other people have already said, f*ck all this "role model" crap. Take some responsibility for yourself and stop worrying about what other people are doing and unnecessarily involving yourself in other people's lives. It's not the over-weight news anchor's job to make sure you don't pile on the pounds, and if you're so worried about your children following suit, then cop on and start parenting them yourself instead of expecting "role models" to do it for you.

• Advertisement

The best thing you can do to someone slagging you over your weight, is be more confident in yourself and ignore, it's probably a hard thing to do when you are in the limelight (again my issue is she wants to broadcast it to everyone), it would have to have stronger words than it did to be branded as bullying IMO, sure it wasn't nice, but the Internet isn't a nice place.
    But yep, peace and best wishes.;)

I guessing but from what I can gather, it was her husband that originally addressed the insulting of his wife through a website he uses to communicate with the tv viewing public.
    (What partner would not arise at times to defend their loved ones?)

The response then accumulated in forms of further support for the woman.

It is best to often ignore such idiots but I believe that also too, once in a while a stand has to be made.
    The woman did this and used the situation to good use which it seem by coincidence was an upcoming month in her own country that was dedicated towards anti-bullying.
    To me she turned a bad thing into a good useful thing. Fair play to her and she did so without 'raging' or equally insulting the original emailer back (that takes a modicum of skill alone).

mitosis wrote: »
    She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized
    Or some other self-justifying crap.

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

no. she's just got a bubbly personality.

I guessing but from what I can gather, it was her husband that originally addressed the insulting of his wife through a website he uses to communicate with the tv viewing public.
    (What partner would not arise at times to defend their loved ones?)

The response then accumulated in forms of further support for the woman.

It is best to often ignore such idiots but I believe that also too, once in a while a stand has to be made.
    The woman did this and used the situation to good use which it seem by coincidence was an upcoming month in her own country that was dedicated towards anti-bullying.
    To me she turned a bad thing into a good useful thing. Fair play to her and she did so without 'raging' or equally insulting the original emailer back (that takes a modicum of skill alone).
    The point is though Biggins, no one would of heard of this little emailer had they not done this, whilst I would stand up to anyone face to face, by what her hubby did, he gave him the fame he soooo craved.;)

The point is though Biggins, no one would of heard of this little emailer had they not done this, whilst I would stand up to anyone face to face, by what her hubby did, he gave him the fame he soooo craved.;)

It seems the insulter posted it to the TV networks site (open to be wrong) where comments could be further openly read by others.
    (Something like the set-up of Journal.ie)

Again, I will stand rightly corrected if this is not the case.
    If it is the case, it will explain why she suddenly (from all over it might seem) got replies offering her solidarity.

It seems the insulter posted it to the TV networks site (open to be wrong) where comments could be further openly read by others.
    (Something like the set-up of Journal.ie)

Again, I will stand rightly corrected if this is not the case.
    If it is the case, it will explain why she suddenly (from all over it might seem) got replies offering her solidarity.

Oh right, even so, look at twitter for eg.
    When. Celeb responds to a tweet, people feel great.
    Some celebrities don't respond to any tweets, so then you get the attention whores sending them abusive and insulting tweets to get noticed.
    Whoever emailed this lady worded it in such a way to not draw attention from the authorities but definitely get a response from her or her hubby.
    Perhaps they knew them or as was said, an inside job.
    Reminds me of Leo Traynor:D

...Reminds me of Leo Traynor :D

For those that are wondering about who Leo Traynor is, see: http://www.traynorseye.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Why is it that it is generally the stick insects of society that get upset by large people? How come the large ones aren't upset by the skinny ones?
    Longevity is mostly genetic ...... as is health.

In the graph underneath, not too many of the uber-lightweights make it past 70. Just sayin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

She states quite clearly at the start of the video it was an email, which her husband later put up on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Iceboy wrote: »
    cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin.
    I do agree with you that it's ridiculous when overweight people play the race comparison card and when there is complacency and delusion in relation to excessive weight. I don't agree with someone being singled out re their weight (too fat or too thin) by someone who is not a relative/friend though.
    Obesity is 100% a personal choice
    Not 100% - children who are fed the wrong foods/portions don't have a say in the matter. It is something the individual can do something about all right though, but each case is different. It is not straightforward for everyone.
    Humans are becoming more pathetic by the day, you can't even tell someone the truth (even sugar coat it to hell) without them getting rattled to pieces.
    But you're an exception of course...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Her weight is her own business.

A realistic cross-section of body shapes on TV sends a far better message than exclusively having thin people. [The latter is actually the case in Romania]

There are occasionally medical reasons why a person is overweight.

News anchors aren't role models for most people in any case.

All in all, really stupid to get onto her about her weight. She does have a case for complaining about bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

ScumLord wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be fatty food, fatty food in itself isn't unhealthy you need to have fat in your diet. Eating to many calories makes you fat, those calories can come from the healthiest foods and you can still get fat.

Yeah, but healthy foods aren't usually quite as calorie dense. You'd need to eat a metric ton of broccoli and chicken breasts to get fat.

Originally Posted by Iceboy
    ...cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin.
    Don't believe it - because it wasn't true!

Your certainly seeing what you want to see though!

The rest of us might see (and be right) that she included that as one reason as why children who are bullied as such.

She was certainly NOT she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the colour of their skin.
    It was just one reason (funny how you didn't pick out any of the other reasons she listed!) amid many she mentioned that relate to bullying/intimidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm going to go eat an entire trough of fried chicken.

Please help me.

I have a disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Don't believe it - because it wasn't true!

Your certainly seeing what you want to see though!

The rest of us might see (and be right) that she included that as one reason as why children who are bullied as such.

She was certainly NOT she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the colour of their skin.
    It was just one reason (funny how you didn't pick out any of the other reasons she listed!) amid many she mentioned that relate to bullying/intimidation.
    It's understandable that her feelings were hurt but she really is obese. It's none of the guys business but this is not bullying.

The guy sent one polite private email regarding her weight and not repeatedly posted derogatory comments about her on the internet or something like that which I'd regard as bullying. She is comparing herself to people being actually bullied and promoting a politically correct attitude of you can't say mean things cause you can hurt someone's feelings. It's a smart way to sidestep the issue of being fat I guess.

"Don't say things that hurt people" is a pretty good message I'd have thought... :confused:
    Political correctness has nothing to do with it btw.

And the guy was an ass to send it - no two ways about it.

Plus, NOBODY will decide to get fat simply because of her. Nobody.

• Advertisement

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    It's understandable that her feelings were hurt but she really is obese. It's none of the guys business but this is not bullying.

The guy sent one polite private email regarding her weight and not repeatedly posted derogatory comments about her on the internet or something like that which I'd regard as bullying. She is comparing herself to people being actually bullied and promoting a politically correct attitude of you can't say mean things cause you can hurt someone's feelings. It's a smart way to sidestep the issue of being fat I guess.

* She is fat - she knows it - hell, a blind person would be the only person not to be able to tell without being hands-on!
    * You see polite - others (including I) see downright insults above what can be constructed in a sentence expressing concern about her general well-being.
    * You see her comparing to others - I hear her listing a few examples of reasons why bullying occurs.
    * She is "promoting a politically correct attitude of you can't say mean things cause you can hurt someone's feelings" - ok, and whats wrong with that? When did it maybe become a crime to do? (No, I'm not saying you said that.)
    CodeMonkey wrote: »
    ...It's a smart way to sidestep the issue of being fat I guess.
    Who is sidestepping anything?
    Her? She addressed the matter straight on.
    Us? We are still debating it!
    Who is sidestepping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

I think we can file this under 'First World Problems'.

She could have easily deleted this one single email and got on with her life.

I ducking hate all this first world problems sh1te. If you want third world problems move to ducking somalia and let the rest of us get on with our first world lives and our insignificant problems.

On topic, each to their own and people should perhaps consider the feelings of others more.

snausages wrote: »
    You'd need to eat a metric ton of broccoli and chicken breasts to get fat.
    Challenge accepted!
    I'm going to go eat an entire trough of fried chicken.

Please help me.

I have a disease.
    And with all the antibiotics they pump into chicken you may well be incurable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Why did you post this twice? :confused:

Where did I? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

1) who decides show content? not her. the editor must have approved her talk
    2) why did she bother to read it out? boost the show ratings obv
    storm in a tescup. she is trying to become the joan of arc of overweight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If it was so incredibly easy, no one would be overweight.

Its objectively easy, on the basis that if you do and don't do certain things you are very likely to be overweight, if you do and don't do certain other things you won't be.

Its subjectively difficult, in the sense that some people seem to find it impossible or difficult to accomplish the certain other things.

'I find it difficult impossible' does not mean it is in fact difficult, with the degree of difficulty measured by the extent to which a given proportion of the population can achieve what the person making this statement finds difficult or impossible.

If a person is happy with their weight, that's a matter for themselves and more power to their elbows etc. etc.

If they are unhappy with it and would be prefer to be lighter, but claim that it is too difficult for them to lose weight, then except that they suffer from certain medical conditions, they are simply making excuses for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

* She is fat - she knows it - hell, a blind person would be the only person not to be able to tell without being hands-on!

* You see polite - others (including I) see downright insults above what can be constructed in a sentence expressing concern about her general well-being.
    A super skinny celeb or tv personality can be criticized for being unhealthily underweight then so can someone be criticized for being obese. She IS unhealthy.
    * You see her comparing to others - I hear her listing a few examples of reasons why bullying occurs.

* She is "promoting a politically correct attitude of you can't say mean things cause you can hurt someone's feelings" - ok, and whats wrong with that? When did it maybe become a crime to do? (No, I'm not saying you said that.)
    There's nothing inherently wrong with being polite. When did it become a crime to criticize someone for being fat without being labelled a bully?
    Who is sidestepping anything?
    Her? She addressed the matter straight on.
    Us? We are still debating it!
    Who is sidestepping?
    So is it healthy to be obese and stay obese? Did she address anything about weight issues and people's body image? It's not about bullying at all, she's shifting attention towards a different issue. And she probably only did that piece cause her husband put it on facebook and so it was out in the open. Yeah, she's sidestepping things she didn't want to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bobmac27

the fat is becoming the new normal. I don't hate fat people. Instead, I believe they should accept the responsibility instead of playing victim.

A super skinny celeb or tv personality can be criticized for being unhealthily underweight then so can someone be criticized for being obese. She IS unhealthy.

Criticism is one thing - insulting is another.
    The email person clearly can't differentiate!
    ...When did it become a crime to criticize someone for being fat without being labelled a bully?
    A bullying issue becomes such an issue when they overstep the mark of expressing concern for a person to the level of being... well... a bully in derogative tone and language!
    Did she address anything about weight issues and people's body image?
    Does she have to?
    Does she have to answer every insulter's bile?
    Why should she?
    ...it's not about bullying at all, she's shifting attention towards a different issue.
    Seriously?
    ...And she probably only did that piece cause her husband put it on facebook and so it was out in the open. Yeah, she's sidestepping things she didn't want to address.

Someone please tell the rest of us why she further give into an insulter and give the troll (as good as if not just that) further satisfaction in thinking he's succeeded in getting his moronic way?

She quite eloquently turned the issue around to expose the absolute intimidating gobschite that the emailer was!

She did it without "Raging" as the OP daftly put it. She did it with thought, steady pace and broke the matter down into what can only be described as a good issue.

The insulter brought the issue up - if he didn't want a reply, he should have kept his hands off a keyboard!
    He was/is an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The world is turning into the comment box on YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

-Claims to be a victim of a bully and compares herself to others who have issues such as acne or disabilities.

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin.

When you say colour of their skin are you referring to people who have acne or a disability or are you, as I strongly suspect, talking ****e?
    I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

Why should she listen to you exactly?
    As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy.

Yes I can't see any health problems with losing and gaining 60lbs continuosly. You should be a health adviser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

This reply... Wow.

http://i.imgur.com/zGHhR.png

"I'm not fat by choice. I'm fat because I get fat when I eat sugar. To loose weight I'd have to cut all the sugar I'm eating, and I can't do that."

Guess what, fatty... That's how EVERYBODY does it.

Strong female logic.

Pic of the fatty (surprisingly, she's eating cake with her fat kid)

http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/avatars/tinkerbell7623_1337116532_600.jpg

Her kid isn't fat. Yeh she's talking shyte though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I feel like screaming at so many of you right now, for pure ignorance. I'm overweight. Honestly, I'm probably morbidly obese. But if you look in my press right now, there's tins of tomatoes, pasta, veg, rice and some chicken fillets in the freezer.

It's not always a choice. Heck, if it was a choice, I'd come off the tablets that put me from a size 12 to a 20-22. But, unfortunately, if I do that I'd probably kill myself. Do you think it's fun being overweight? Like it's a good thing to be? It's bloody well not. I've been laughed out of interviews because of my weight. I know people judge me on nights out because I'm not like other teenage girls. But at least I try.

Yes, some people may decide to say feck it and not bother about trying to stay healthy. I won't deny it. But PLEASE don't tar everyone with the same brush. Because, honestly, that's almost more offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jesus if that guys kids are going to be inspired to obesity by the news woman then he's probably the worst parent since Karen Matthews.

• Advertisement

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I feel like screaming at so many of you right now, for pure ignorance. I'm overweight. Honestly, I'm probably morbidly obese. But if you look in my press right now, there's tins of tomatoes, pasta, veg, rice and some chicken fillets in the freezer.

It's not always a choice. Heck, if it was a choice, I'd come off the tablets that put me from a size 12 to a 20-22. But, unfortunately, if I do that I'd probably kill myself. Do you think it's fun being overweight? Like it's a good thing to be? It's bloody well not. I've been laughed out of interviews because of my weight. I know people judge me on nights out because I'm not like other teenage girls. But at least I try.

Yes, some people may decide to say feck it and not bother about trying to stay healthy. I won't deny it. But PLEASE don't tar everyone with the same brush. Because, honestly, that's almost more offensive.
    I would never insult someone like you, it's the ones that ask for sympathy and use excuses for their weight and eating habits that leave themselves open for ridicule.
    I don't feel sorry for you either, you may have experienced many assholes who would be disrespectful to you, not all of us would.

Pity then that you can't understand why some people are fat - often against their will and their biological system which don't work the way it does for most people.
    I would politely suggest you research the matter.

Its too lazy of some to just say "Your fat" in a derogatory manner.
    It shows an insulting behaviour, it exposes a possible bullying nature and it shows up an un-educated person.

This is such bull****. There are some people who put on weight due to other factors like tablets, etc but for the vast, vast majority, like me and a few of my buddies, you put on weight because you eat too many chicken marylands, drink too much cider and spend more time on the internet than in the gym. Still no reason to be bullied, but don't come back and look for sympathy for a problem you've created yourself, just fix it. Let's not start down the old abdicating responsibility road again.

token101 wrote: »
    This is such bull****. There are some people who put on weight due to other factors like tablets, etc but for the vast, vast majority, like me and a few of my buddies, you put on weight because you eat too many chicken marylands, drink too much cider and spend more time on the internet than in the gym. Still no reason to be bullied, but don't come back and look for sympathy for a problem you've created yourself, just fix it. Let's not start down the old abdicating responsibility road again.

Have I said many do not gain weight because of eating?
    You will note I said "SOME" maybe the next time you re-read what I posted.

I stand by what I say: Its too lazy of some to just say "Your fat" in a derogatory manner.
    It shows an insulting behaviour, it exposes a possible bullying nature and it shows up an un-educated person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I watched the video and was with her until she used the word bullying.

OED definition of Cyberbullying- noun: the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature

I saw nothing in the email that guy wrote that was of an intimidating or threatening nature. Insulting on a personal level and hurtful I'm sure, but bullying? no. And drawing comparisons between her being called fat and the kind of prejudice and ill treatment that people of colour, disabled people and other minority groups live with is quite frankly insulting to those groups in society.

If she wanted to raise the issue of body image and obesity in American society on the back of the email fair enough, but she should have left out the "poor me, I'm a victim of bullying" remarks.

That's not to say that many people with weight problems don't encounter bullying-cyber or IRL, but bullies target those they perceive to be easy targets and it is usually a sustained campaign.

There is no indication that this relatively innocuous-albeit undoubtedly hurtful- email is part of a sustained campaign by the sender to intimidate or bully her.

I don't think there was any need to send that email to her though, it seemed like just an excuse to insult her by calling her fat under the guise of concern that she would be a bad role model for viewers (the idea that a newsreader should be any kind of role model or that people would follow her "bad" example by piling on the pounds by watching her is ludicrous WTFery anyway).

And as she said it's hardly as if she needs it pointed out that she'd obese! so the email served no purpose other than to try to belittle and insult I think.

It doesn't expose a bullying nature, it's stating a fact. If your waist size is 40 plus inches, unless you are exceptionally tall, you are fat. Derogatory or not, it's a fact. Simple as that. As for this less educated stuff, perhaps the reason people are loath to believe some of the reasons out there regarding obesity is because there is so much nonsense. For every legitimate reason there's ten that are complete horse****, just a cop out. You need only look at the people who feel suing McDonalds is a legitimate course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It doesn't expose a bullying nature, it's stating a fact. If your waist size is 40 plus inches, unless you are exceptionally tall, you are fat. Derogatory or not, it's a fact. Simple as that. As for this less educated stuff, perhaps the reason people are loath to believe some of the reasons out there regarding obesity is because there is so much nonsense. For every legitimate reason there's ten that are complete horse****, just a cop out. You need only look at the people who feel suing McDonalds is a legitimate course of action.

I think you are missing Biggins point. Sure it's a fact but what business is it of anyones to say it to the person. How is it any different from walking up to a guy and telling him he is scrawny or telling some random girl on the street they look like a tramp or telling some stranger they are ugly. You can indeed insult someone with facts and you can't defend bullying by simply claiming it's the truth.

My point was that SOME have missed, is that one can express concerns and have a valid point - but the emailer it appeared to overstep the boundaries of the line between expressing concern and wandering into a personal derogatory manner towards another.
    It weakens ones argument right away.
    It shows an uneducated way of being able to expressing their point.
    The method he had chosen was not to politely inquire as to health and well-being while asking if her size was a worry for her - no, he went for the jugular in an insulting manner, verbalising his abhorrence at seeing her on his screen (he could have turned off).

He blankly states "Obesity is one the worst choices a person can make" - who said she made that choice?
    Seriously!
    Talk about tarring her with a brush before even bothering his arse at hearing her side of what caused her to be so large!
    No - just insult her for a start by espousing that she made a choice to be large!
    - What... UTTER... stupidity!

Frankly, I consider it the behaviour of an asshole.
    Your free to disagree.

Greentopia wrote: »
    ...I don't think there was any need to send that email to her though, it seemed like just an excuse to insult her by calling her fat under the guise of concern that she would be a bad role model for viewers (the idea that a newsreader should be any kind of role model or that people would follow her "bad" example by piling on the pounds by watching her is ludicrous WTFery anyway).

And as she said it's hardly as if she needs it pointed out that she'd obese! so the email served no purpose other than to try to belittle and insult I think.

No argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I agree, and I appreciate your honesty as someone who has weight issues as you say yourself. Also with your remark that there is still no excuse to be bullied though.

While I genuinely sympathise with how hard it must be to lose weight if you're biologically prone to putting it on or because of a genetic or medical condition, I think many obese or fat people-and let's call a spade a spade here, the word is fat or obese, not cuddly, not fluffy, not curvy or any other cutesy euphemism fat and obese people use to describe themselves to avoid dealing with the reality that they have a weight problem that has serious health implications and having to then do something to tackle it-do wrongly and conveniently ascribe their condition to reasons such as a 'slow metabolism' or that old chestnut "it's my glands".

I don't understand that kind of denial tbh. Why not face the problem square on and deal with the facts of the matter as they are? Easier said than done perhaps for any kind of addiction I guess, but surely that first step is necessary if you're ever going to deal with a weight problem.

And speaking of the "slow metabolism" reason/excuse some people here use to explain why they're overweight-you're probably incorrect unless you've been diagnosed as having such by your GP and you're on depression medication for example..
    A slow metabolism is rare:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/slow-metabolism/AN00618

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/AN01772

From the second link the Mayo clinic nutritionist states:

"Trying to boost your metabolism probably won't lead to weight loss, at least not to the degree that changing your diet and lifestyle habits will. How much you weigh really depends on the number of calories you eat and how much physical activity you get.
    Only rarely is excessive weight gain caused by a medical problem that slows metabolism, such as Cushing's syndrome or an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)."

So there you have it, the uncomfortable truth for most overweight people why they're overweight. Which we knew all along anyway but many seem to want to deny rather than face up to the truth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

There is something wrong in the world when weight is such a big part of our conversation. Seriously, I wish everyone would stop talking about weight -- it only contributes to the problem on both sides. Someone too skinny? Get over it. Someone too fat? Mind your own fucking business.

If we all stopped commenting on the size of a person's waistline and instead focused on the depth of their character, the world would be a much better place for everyone.

Advertisement