Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obesity is one the worst choices a person can make" - Obese News Anchor rages @ email

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

coconut5 wrote: »

I don't hate you.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'm referring to one person abusing another where others don't see it. It's most common in domestic abuse.

What's domestic abuse got to do with this situation? You're not making any sense here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It was hardly bullying was it...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

What gives you the right to criticise someone to their face?
    That's my point. People have as much right to criticise as you have to tell someone they can't.
    Charlie Sheen was paid to be roasted, the news lady was paid to read the news.
    SSo there was a period between his drug addiction and the comedy central roast that it's ok to tell charlie sheen off? Is that what you are saying? It's ok now that he was paid?
    No, it's just abusive.
    My point exactly. It's not a bullying issue. Glad we agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

The new South Park episode

If South Park has started up again this week you have made my day! (sitting at work reading this thread eating Cheddar Cheese Pretzel Pieces funnily enough... man I miss Cartman heheh )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"The cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many..."

That didn't really work out for the Jews :pac:

Charlie Sheen was paid to be roasted.

So all the other abuse that Charlie Sheen got everywhere else is okay because he agree to be roasted on that one programme?

The letter sent wasn't part of some campaign so I think it's a stretch to call it bullying. It was lacking in social niceties for sure and was needless on the part of the writer but I wouldn't call it abusive. It was her husband posting it on his facebook that created the real problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It's really none of my business. I am just saying what gives you the right to tell someone that they can't criticize others?

We all criticize people from time to time, that's human nature. However, I think the point being made here is why would you deliberately point out someone's flaws to them personally? What would you get out of doing it? It's hurtful and unnecessary.

• Advertisement

We all criticize people from time to time, that's human nature. However, I think the point being made here is why would you deliberately point out someone's flaws to them personally? What would you get out of doing it? It's hurtful and unnecessary.

But the email, probably from an obnoxious fitness nazi, could easily have just been deleted and forgotten about. Instead yer one and her husband chose to publicly make her victim of bullying. Complete nonsense if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Iceboy wrote: »
    Pretty much this, im sick of people making excuses for temselves, yes I used to be overweight and out of shape, I blame no one but myself. It didn't come from a disease, it came from me sitting on my ass as my metabolism slowed down instead of keeping up my fitness.

Yech, former fatties pontificating about overweight people - one of the worst types of hypocrites. Surely they have an insight into how much of a struggle it can be for other overweight people. Arrogant as hell to forget all that.

No fat tax please - why should those who have an occasional junkfood treat pay extra for it? Despite all this talk of how overweight people should take responsibility for themselves, fat tax is actually just another form of deflecting responsibility from them.

Nothing wrong with noticing a fat person's appearance btw - that isn't the issue here; it's a person commenting on the weight of a person to whom he is not related/with whom he is not friends. Totally uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 selenawolf

Apparently, they found the guy who sent the message. He is some outdoor lad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

homeless in america must be doing pretty well if this guy has a laptop and wireless internet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Madam_X wrote: »
    No fat tax please - why should those who have an occasional junkfood treat pay extra for it? Despite all this talk of how overweight people should take responsibility for themselves, fat tax is actually just another form of deflecting responsibility from them.

If the fat tax was ring fenced to a Dept. of Health programme to tackle obesity with a widespread healthy eating and fitness awareness campaign-including in schools- to tackle obesity, or better yet to subsidise the cost of fresh fruit and veg I wouldn't have a problem with that as it would be something that would benefit us all in the long term.

A lot of people in this country are living in food poverty where the only food they can afford to feed their families is high fat, sugar and salt content junk food that is nutritionally very poor. Compare the cost of feeding a family of four a meal of fish fingers or chicken nuggets and chips for example, as opposed to how much it would cost even for a basic meal of two fresh veg. potatoes and fresh fish or roast chicken (never mind the cost of good quality fillet steak!) No wonder the incidence of obesity is much higher in people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.

If basic fresh ingredients were lower in price and a comprehensive nutrition awareness and health promotion campaign were launched by Govt. I think it'd go some way to lowering incidents of obesity and obesity related illnesses and deaths which cost the economy and the health service a shocking €3 billion a year.
    What's a small amount added to the cost of junk food that would likely benefit everyone's health and the economy compared to that?

In fairness I don't eat much junk food myself as I don't really like most of it or how it makes me feel and I like to stay trim and healthy,-an occasional bag of chips or a burger I make at home, but I think the stick approach of a fat tax along with the carrot(:pac:) of lower cost fresh healthy food would go a long way to encourage healthier eating habits.

It can be done if the political will and resources were put into it. Read how the Finns-who had the highest rate of cardiovascular disease in the world successfully managed to reduce their incidence of heart disease by 75% since the early 1970s with a public education campaign and encouraging healthier dietary habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Greentopia wrote: »
    A lot of people in this country are living in food poverty where the only food they can afford to feed their families is high fat, sugar and salt content junk food that is nutritionally very poor. Compare the cost of feeding a family of four a meal of fish fingers or chicken nuggets and chips for example, as opposed to how much it would cost even for a basic meal of two fresh veg. potatoes and fresh fish or roast chicken (never mind the cost of good quality fillet steak!) No wonder the incidence of obesity is much higher in people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
    That's a total myth. Average cost of a MacDonalds meal is like 6-7 euro. You telling me you can't buy the ingredients for a healthy meal with 25 euro for a family of 4? People from lower social-economic backgrounds on average are fatter because they are uneducated about food and probably don't know how to cook a decent meal. Junk food just makes you unhealthy but it doesn't make you fat unless you over eat. It's almost always about the excessive calories intake.

I suppose cheaper ingredients can encourage some to eat healthier but you can already eat healthier for less if you want to. I have seen mothers from the lower social-economic backgrounds buying MacDonald's meals for their young kids. They were only capable of eating less than half the burger so I don't see any money concern there. Why should they care about wasting money unnecessarily? I don't see many poor families really struggling to buy food. Food education is way more useful than lowering cost but that will only work if they care about eating healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Iceboy wrote: »

Gawd, I hate that smug twit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Greentopia wrote: »
    As pointed out this is nonsense, if you live alone and are cooking for one you have a bit of a point but I have a friend with 7 kids, he enjoys cooking and says their dinner meal cost around €7 to feed the lot of them, it's all home cooked and good quality food. Thats around the same price as one pre-prepared meal.

Processed food is not cheaper, it always sickens me seeing fat people on TV saying they can't afford to eat healthily so they buy packaged food. It's a lie, they're just too lazy to cook their own food. I'm as guilty of doing this as anybody but I'm fully aware I'm being lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

ScumLord wrote: »
    As pointed out this is nonsense, if you live alone and are cooking for one you have a bit of a point but I have a friend with 7 kids, he enjoys cooking and says their dinner meal cost around €7 to feed the lot of them, it's all home cooked and good quality food. Thats around the same price as one pre-prepared meal.

Might I ask what good quality food to feed 8 he's picking up for €7? I'm assuming there's at least two teenagers in there, but perhaps they're all very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zab wrote: »
    Might I ask what good quality food to feed 8 he's picking up for €7? I'm assuming there's at least two teenagers in there, but perhaps they're all very young.
    Two teenagers and technically it's 7 kids and two parents so he's feeding 9 on that money, because he can buy in bulk you can get a weeks worth of veg for next to nothing, he'll get the most from the food too, making soups and other leftover based foods. He'd even make his own bread. He's not buying the meal for €7 but when you break down what his spent on a weeks shopping to one meal it's working out at about €7 to make the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Every week aldi have a range of fruit/veg for 59cent

broccoli, carrots, kiwis, potatoes........................

• Advertisement
Advertisement