Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland

Options
  • 03-10-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

We're moving to Ireland (Cork) in January 2013. We currently live in Northern Ireland and have accounts with HSBC / First Direct who only have corporate banking in ROI.

I have asked about setting up an account with BoI in Northern Ireland and then transferring this once we get an address in Cork, but have been told it is not possible.

Ideally we would like to set up our RoI BoI accounts before we arrive in Cork so that we have a working bank account to pay rental, utilities, get pay paid into etc. My partner already has a good job lined up and I will be looking for work.

What is possible and what do you advise? I also notice that you have to present utility bills etc before opening an account, how can one do this on arrival and what are the alternatives?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi maxbiaggi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

What you have previously been told is correct, it would not be possible to change the jurisdiction an account is held in.

We would suggest contacting a branch close to where you are planning on moving to, and requesting they send you account opening forms. You could then hand the completed forms along with your photo ID and proof of address into your local Northern Ireland branch, who will be happy to forward them to the branch in Cork on your behalf.

In relation to proof of address, you could request that the account is set up initially with your Northern Ireland address and then updated when you have a permanent address here.

The following are some examples of acceptable documents that you can use for proof of address:
    - a provisional or full driving license if you haven't used that as proof of ID
    - a current original financial institution statement dated within the last 3 months (including Credit Union)
    - a letter from an employer dated within the last 6 months
    - a current original Social Insurance document

Contact details for all branches can be found here.

If you need help with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxbiaggi

Hi Tara,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My wife's job will be at UCC in Cork so Bank of Ireland, College Road, Cork looks to be the most convenient.

I have phoned them and left a message with the person in charge of new accounts.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxbiaggi

Lorraine has been in touch today and is sorting everything out.

Thanks for your help and advice, Tara.

Advertisement