Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest Irish Surfer?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

My name is Oisin and I am a documentary filmmaker looking to make a new documentary centered around surfing culture in Ireland. This is going to be a short documentary which preferably would follow one person active in the field of surfing in Ireland.

It'd be fantastic if the documentary could centre around someone who stands out in their passion for surfing, be it someone who has surfed their whole life, whose routine very much centers around the sea, or someone who is significant in being the only female surfer in their local beach, the oldest surfer in Ireland or even the youngest.

I'm primarily quite interested in searching for the oldest surfer based in Ireland, so if anyone would be aware of who is the oldest surfer in Ireland, or would have any information on where to look for such a person, it would be hugely appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions for someone they believe to be significant in the realms of Irish surfing that would also be very beneficial.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Em, have you done any research into this as yet?

A quick google search on Irish surfing would give you the name of the oldest Irish surfer.

Or even have a look at some Irish surf documentaries that have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Uh Sheen

I've looked into it, and searched a lot of Irish surfing websites. There are quite a few websites that mention past legends of Irish surfing, though don't necessarily mention the oldest Irish surfer. I believe the T-Bay Surf Club in Tramore is the longest running surf club so it is a possibility that I may use a surfer who is involved with them.

The only reason I'm posting on boards is that it may be possible that someone may be aware of an elderly man in their community who surfs every day without fail, or something along those lines. An unsung hero or such.

I've seen many Irish documentaries on surfing in Ireland, some that deal with the origins of the sport in Ireland, current surfing, big wave surfing, I've seen artistic and experimental documentaries on the subject but would be more interested in finding a single man or woman who has a story to tell when it comes to the subject. Preferable a veteran of the sport as I, personally, think it would be a nice angle to take on surfing. Routine, old age, man vs nature, the old forms of surfing vs the new, etc etc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is this guy: http://pancake.io/13ad5b/index.html

There's already a documentary there as you can see but it's pretty short.

Kevin Cavey.

He brought surfing to Ireland.

He still surfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

OP, who would you choose in these instances?

1. 50 year old surfer surfing 30 years.

2. 70 year old surfer surfing 5 years.

3. 85 year old surfer surfing 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭keryl

Well good luck with it.

There's that Silver Surfari dvd you could check out, has all the old skool there. I see a guy surfing in Mayo whose the oldest I've seen, probably late 50s+, only new to it from what I gather.

I have to say of all the documentaries that come out, I would love to see one capturing people who go out regularly and no so much to get ready for competitions. Young and old and the stories they have and especially those surfing before it got very popular. Also to talk to the folk that take off by car to France, Spain, Morocco. Amazing stories I'm sure. There's an opening for it I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 craig butler

Hey man

I'd be interested in this.
    I'm from Tramore and have 6 Irish titles
    And i'm currently the only person in Irish surfing history to ever with both senior and junior title in same year.
    If you're interested, Get back to me.

Cheers
    Craig

Thanks a million for that link. Kevin Cavey is very much the guy I was looking for. I'd love to expand on his story, and to improve on the aesthetics that I think that documentary missed out on.

@flashD; I would actually be very interested in the latter person, the 85 year surfing for 5months. Surfing at his age alone is a story in itself. Do you personally know someone that fits that description?

@keryl; I'm very much in agreement with you. I'm not interested so much in documenting someone who surfs as career or talking about the technical details of surfing or competitions etc, I'm interested in capturing the story of a person who surfs, finding out what it means to them, how it helps them in their everyday life. I'm more interested in the person themselves, there life and how surfing fits into that. I mean, the aim is for it to be a film about people, or one person, with surfing as the backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

do you surf, what programs have you made before,who is funding it, who will show it

I do surf, indeed. I'm currently a student in IADT but have created promotional videos for venues, clubs and charities as well as worked on short films, two of which were shortlisted in the recent Galway Film Fleadh. IADT will be funding this project and the aim is to approach festivals with the finished piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Kevin Cavey without a doubt. You can contact him via the East Coast Surf Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Uh Sheen wrote: »
    @flashD; I would actually be very interested in the latter person, the 85 year surfing for 5months. Surfing at his age alone is a story in itself. Do you personally know someone that fits that description?

Sorry man, never seen anyone that age out surfing or even getting a lesson.

Sounds like an interesting project, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

A couple of weeks ago in Tramore I saw a guy who looked to be in his 60s get into the water. It did'nt seem to be his first day in the water either!

I've seen a 70+ year old take his first lesson.

Even gave him a loan of a wetsuit of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Think kevin would love to do one if you managed to arrange it for him to tow some irish waves, wouldn't have to be monster waves

As mention here

http://www.londonsurffilmfestival.com/the-dimming-tide

He has already done some tow surfing down under and its his dream to do it in Ireland, would make a great documentry

http://www.rte.ie/tv/onethingtodobeforeyoudie/ep5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Hey OP

I don't know if any one else has had the pleasure of meeting Rod Bennett, he is a true character. He was living at Dougmore, Co. Clare a couple of years back for a Summer. He pretty much lived at the beach for a Summer (and most of the winter too now that I think of it). He has some great stories and is just a really interesting character.

I would definitely try to hook up with him if you can find him, I'm afraid that I'm no help there but maybe someone on here might know if he is still knocking about Ireland.

http://www.seafever.ie/us/biographies.shtml

Advertisement