Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebay type sites for japan?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭

Hi folks...

I want to buy a present for someone living in Japan and ideally would love to order from a site over that side of the world. Less shipping costs and less chance of it being broken lost if set from here.

However all sites I can find are in Japanese. Has anyone got any help or advice on a website in English over that side of the world ?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Depends on what you want to get.
    I am going to Japan in November and have spent enough time over the last few months on the net looking up stuff to know that when it comes to finding English on Japanese sites, forget it. A rarity.

One area you will find English is music/film though.
    I have used yesasia a couple of times with no problems.
    They are based in Hong Kong.
    cdjapan is another website. I have not used them though so cannot comment on how good they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Rakuten - they seem to be sort of like a cross between amazon and eBay and they have an English website too. You can find everything and anything here so hopefully it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Hi folks...

I want to buy a present for someone living in Japan and ideally would love to order from a site over that side of the world. Less shipping costs and less chance of it being broken lost if set from here.

However all sites I can find are in Japanese. Has anyone got any help or advice on a website in English over that side of the world ?

It's not just the language barrier. Most sites are just not set up to deal with someone outside Japan. When you set up an account you have to enter a Japanese address, use a Japanese-issued credit card, and so on. For example, I don't think it is possible for someone resident outside Japan to buy something on amazon.co.jp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

hibby wrote: »
    It's not just the language barrier. Most sites are just not set up to deal with someone outside Japan. When you set up an account you have to enter a Japanese address, use a Japanese-issued credit card, and so on. For example, I don't think it is possible for someone resident outside Japan to buy something on amazon.co.jp.

It is possible. Or at least it was 2 years ago anyway - I bought a ton of manga from them and had it shipped to Ireland. No problems signing up or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And amazon.co.jp have an english-language facility too, though it's not extensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement