Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength training essentials

• 03-10-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭

It's fantastic to finally see a dedicated strength related forum within boards for the sport, I think the forum is lacking some sort of introductory sticky thread, or the basics of Strength training or Stregth training 101! If ya get where i'm coming from!

Such threads in different forums have been an un-measurable help to a beginner or outsider looking for information, see "Nutrition 101" in the Nutrition forum for example.

Basically what I'm looking for is some tips and guidelines for somebody who be looking to develop an interest in the sport, just for personal lifestyle goals, but as you know theres a ridiculous amount of information out there available to an amateur, I know you could spend weeks buried in all the programs and studies and be in a worse position than when you started due to mixed opinions and different programs, splits over full-bodies etc.

So with lack of a "go to guide - type thread"! I'm here looking for a bit of advice,
    If you were like me and just developing an interest in the field and looking to begin a routine/program/session whatever you want to call it, where would you start? ( I know the common answer would be just get in the gym and get going, dont worry I am already giving it a go but I dont want to not maximize my time or potential either)

All suggestions/feedback welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

It's fantastic to finally see a dedicated strength related forum within boards for the sport, I think the forum is lacking some sort of introductory sticky thread, or the basics of Strength training or Stregth training 101! If ya get where i'm coming from!

Such threads in different forums have been an un-measurable help to a beginner or outsider looking for information, see "Nutrition 101" in the Nutrition forum for example.

Basically what I'm looking for is some tips and guidelines for somebody who be looking to develop an interest in the sport, just for personal lifestyle goals, but as you know theres a ridiculous amount of information out there available to an amateur, I know you could spend weeks buried in all the programs and studies and be in a worse position than when you started due to mixed opinions and different programs, splits over full-bodies etc.

So with lack of a "go to guide - type thread"! I'm here looking for a bit of advice,
    If you were like me and just developing an interest in the field and looking to begin a routine/program/session whatever you want to call it, where would you start? ( I know the common answer would be just get in the gym and get going, dont worry I am already giving it a go but I dont want to not maximize my time or potential either)

All suggestions/feedback welcome.

jim wendlers 531 program is very "no frills" good.
    no need to buy the ebook as the info is all online.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I second the motion! Even if its just a list of links to programmes, possibley listed under Headings such as Beginner-Intermediate etc.
    When the nutrition stuff has stickys in the fitness forum ths makes sense here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

1) stop being a f*cking pussy - strength training is hard, you have to push yourself and your "I'll just leave some in the tank"/"I'll back off/deload this week" mentality is probably why you still can't bench your bodyweight

2) stop being a f*cking pussy - just because something "feels" heavy doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you need to dig deep and get it done

3) stop being a f*cking pussy - no one cares how much noise you make in the gym and how "hardcore" you appear. Know what's hardcore? Training on your own, or with one other dude, smashing out the hard sets and reps away from prying eyes

Hanley wrote: »
    1) stop being a f*cking pussy - strength training is hard, you have to push yourself and your "I'll just leave some in the tank"/"I'll back off/deload this week" mentality is probably why you still can't bench your bodyweight

2) stop being a f*cking pussy - just because something "feels" heavy doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means you need to dig deep and get it done

3) stop being a f*cking pussy - no one cares how much noise you make in the gym and how "hardcore" you appear. Know what's hardcore? Training on your own, or with one other dude, smashing out the hard sets and reps away from prying eyes

Bad day at the office?

Bad day at the office?

Not by any means.

Hard work trumps some fancy program tho.

You can get VERY strong via brute force, pig ignorance and hard work.

....but that's not easy, sexy, cool, or has an awesome name.

• Advertisement

Not by any means.

Hard work trumps some fancy program tho.

You can get VERY strong via brute force, pig ignorance and hard work.

....but that's not easy, sexy, cool, or has an awesome name.

Agreed to a point but if someones really just going around in circles doing a 10 sets of wrist curls and calf raises 4 days a week then they do need a pointer in the right direction.
    The way you posted I thought you had some whingy whiney clients being a pain in the hole expecting the weights to lift themselves.

And I also beg to differ......brute force and pig ignorance are seriously sexy! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah i'm not really coming on looking for the next great program, or any other excuse not to give it my all,

As said i'm just a bit lost as to there being so much information out there, I'll try get some specific questions down for the morning, but off the top of my head:

Compound lifts - I want to build up my "foundation" for a few months I think this may be the right way to go as they engage so many muscles at once, but specifically what compound exercises would I be looking at to cover the majority of my body?

Should I seek a PT to practice these lifts and learn correct form? or could somebody develop good practice by studying the moves?

If you had a hour in the gym and wanted to maximize your time there what exercises would you be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Bad day at the office?

stop being a f*cking pussy!

Yeah think a sticky with a few of the decent threads, videos and links for the different programmes would be handy

Thud wrote: »
    stop being a f*cking pussy!

I wouldnt mind but in real life normally its me saying that!

Yeah i'm not really coming on looking for the next great program, or any other excuse not to give it my all,

As said i'm just a bit lost as to there being so much information out there, I'll try get some specific questions down for the morning, but off the top of my head:

Compound lifts - I want to build up my "foundation" for a few months I think this may be the right way to go as they engage so many muscles at once, but specifically what compound exercises would I be looking at to cover the majority of my body?

Should I seek a PT to practice these lifts and learn correct form? or could somebody develop good practice by studying the moves?

If you had a hour in the gym and wanted to maximize your time there what exercises would you be doing?

You sound like youve read a decent bit as youre asking good questions. Id say read up plenty on starting strength and then tear into it and the fridge like a mad thing. If I had the chance to start over its what Idve done. Id do it now if my legs and back would allow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Hanley has a point.

If you Deadlift, Bench, press and Squat and work hard using a low rep range a beginner will get bigger and stronger. Simple as that.

I see five page threads sometimes debating wheter a beginner should use a pronated or supinated grip on an assisstance exercise...fvcking hell, just pull and push large weights.

Its only natural a biginner would want some structure though and for that I dont see the point in considering anything outside of Starting strength, 5/3/1 or Stronglifts...their just really simple programmes built around the big 4 with no messing.

I'm sure there are other decent programmes but I looked at some of the other programmes like buolt like a bad ass or westside for skinny bastards and it just seemed very complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi lads, hope its ok to ask this here. I am going to buy new whey and creatine this week. I was gonna buy gold standard 100% and my protein creatine mono. Are there any better cheaper, better alternatives I should consider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Id do it now if my legs and back would allow

Stop being a f*cking a pussy.

Squat, deadlift, pull up, bench, OH press, row. Base your training mostly around those and you won't go far wrong. Reps, sets, etc. is fairly irrelevant if you need to ask on an online forum.

I'm not a massive fan of starting strength, stronglifts or 531 myself.

Good idea on the thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dr.Tom

no one cares how much noise you make in the gym and how "hardcore" you appear. Know what's hardcore? Training on your own, or with one other dude, smashing out the hard sets and reps away from prying eyes

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dka e80

and record it.... then stick it on the inernet for all to see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I always train on my own. Hardcore.

"Squat, deadlift, pull up, bench, OH press, row. Base your training mostly around those and you won't go far wrong."

this is advice that should be post number 1 in the stickies. Its the answer to so many new threads created.

Dka e80 wrote: »
    and record it.... then stick it on the inernet for all to see :D

Touché!

My log is first and foremost for me tho. If it gets birds flicking their bean too, all the better.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Stop being a f*cking a pussy.

Seriously? Some of us have jobs that can be pretty physical, used to squat every mon deadlift every fri and haul properly heavy crap 3-5 days a week regardless of how in bits I was, progress stopped dead until I spaced everything out more and since then Ive put another 40kg on my deadlift.
    I think ill keep being a ****ing pussy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Seriously?

I don't think so, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi lads, hope its ok to ask this here. I am going to buy new whey and creatine this week. I was gonna buy gold standard 100% and my protein creatine mono. Are there any better cheaper, better alternatives I should consider?

Check out myprotein.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Seriously?

Nope.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Nope.

my bad-I think I did get the creatinze rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Touché!

My log is first and foremost for me tho. If it gets birds flicking their bean too, all the better.

Posts like this would actually stop girls from reading Strength and Strength Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Deadlifts!

Did my 1st few lifts yesterday, had an experienced lifter point me into correct form, but just doing some more research on them today and came accross this video on stronglifts :

For the 1st set he has an over hand grip but then as the weight increases he seems to have one overhand and the other underhand?

This has left me a bit confused, surely this would not help balance or technique?

edit, just came across a post that suggests it prevents the bar rolling and seems to be common enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Deadlifts!

Did my 1st few lifts yesterday, had an experienced lifter point me into correct form, but just doing some more research on them today and came accross this video on stronglifts :

For the 1st set he has an over hand grip but then as the weight increases he seems to have one overhand and the other underhand?

This has left me a bit confused, surely this would not help balance or technique?

edit, just came across a post that suggests it prevents the bar rolling and seems to be common enough.

Yes and it gives you a better grip on the bar as well

Just alternate the way you flip your hands each set if you're worried.

Advertisement