Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin

Options
  • 03-10-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Will pumpkins ripen indoors if put in a sunny place?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Will pumpkins ripen indoors if put in a sunny place?

Place a bananna or 2 beside the pumpkin,and you will be fine.;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

paddy147 wrote: »
    Place a bananna or 2 beside the pumpkin,and you will be fine.;):)

I had heard that you could use a very ripe bananna to ripen green tomatoes which I intend to try shortly. Does it work? Have you tried to do it with a pumpkin?

Oldtree wrote: »
    I had heard that you could use a very ripe bananna to ripen green tomatoes which I intend to try shortly. Does it work? Have you tried to do it with a pumpkin?

Works and has worked for us in the past,with some large pumpkins..

paddy147 wrote: »
    Works and has worked for us in the past,with some large pumpkins..

I am about to try it today as we had a frost last night and the outside ripening days are more or less over for tomatoes in the pollytunnel.

When you say beside do you mean touching or adjacent to the pumpkin, beside or over or under? Did you leave the pumkin on a south facing window, did you cover the pumpkin with celophane or a paper bag?

I have an over ripe bananna that I'm sure is giving off lots of ethylene, so ready to go.

Thanks, enquiring minds want to know :D

I am about to try it today as we had a frost last night and the outside ripening days are more or less over for tomatoes in the pollytunnel.

When you say beside do you mean touching or adjacent to the pumpkin, beside or over or under? Did you leave the pumkin on a south facing window, did you cover the pumpkin with celophane or a paper bag?

I have an over ripe bananna that I'm sure is giving off lots of ethylene, so ready to go.

Thanks, enquiring minds want to know :D

You are seeking advice from me??

ROFL at that indeed.:D...and you know why too.

You can.....

Put your tomatoes in a paper bag or cardboard box.

Place ripe banana in with the tomatoes.

Place paper bag or box in a warm dry place.

Keep an eye on them that theres no mould etc,as can happen when you use plastic.

Sit back and marvel at the wonders of nature.

• Advertisement

I am seeking to learn from your vast experience in this particular issue, as i have not done this particular thing before ;), learning is never ending as you know :D

Bugger! thought it would be a good idea to put them in a spare plastic propergator to retain the gas from the bananna and on a south facing window sill, but noticed droplets on the inside of the clear plastic this am, gotta put it in a paper bag now.

See, you can now go around and tell all your friends that you learned oldtree something :D

I am seeking to learn from your vast experience in this particular issue, as i have not done this particular thing before ;), learning is never ending as you know :D

Bugger! thought it would be a good idea to put them in a spare plastic propergator to retain the gas from the bananna and on a south facing window sill, but noticed droplets on the inside of the clear plastic this am, gotta put it in a paper bag now.

See, you can now go around and tell all your friends that you learned oldtree something :D

Thanks.:)

Advertisement