Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 beeps and no POST on new build

Options
  • 03-10-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Today I tried to bench my new build and I'm getting 4 beeps and it won't enter POST.

I've tried inserting the two ram modules individually into each slot and the same error occurs. On the manufacturer site it indicates that 4 beeps indicates a System Timing Failure.

The site also tells me that my CPU is supported since BIOS rev 1.30. I presume the mobo shipped with the default BIOS. Would this be the cause?

I have no way of flashing the BIOS myself, if this is the case as I can't even enter POST. Any idea what I should do in this scenario?

I bought all my components from hardwareversand.de

They are:

i5 3470
    AsRock H77 Pro4/MVP
    8GB kit G.Skill Ram PC3-10667U CL9

I've tried two separate PSUs
    be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-430W
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Also,

I checked the supported memory modules and it seems that the ram I have isn't on the list. I suppose this is likely to be the cause?

Ok, I can now enter the BIOS.

What's happening is that only one stick of ram can be in the mobo. I currently have it in slot B1.

Slots are A1 A2 B1 B2. Dual channel runs when sticks of ram are in either slot A1 & B1, or A2 & B2. But It'll only POST if the stick is in slot B1. Then when I add another stick it'll just beep 4 times.

Any idea what the craic is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Do you have ALL the motherboard standoffs installed? always a good place to start with problems with a new build. can you use either of your ram sticks in B1 and get it to start?

Thanks. I currently don't have the motherboard in the case, it's sitting on the box while I bench it.

Either module will work in slot B1. But now I have another weird problem. I can put both modules in, but only run them in single channel mode. As in, I can insert them in slots B1 & B2, which is single channel mode. But not in A1 & B1, or A2 & B2.

What about A1 and A2 together?

Are you absolutely sure that dual channel is an A and B lane and not two As or two Bs?

• Advertisement

Yeah, actually it's only B1 and B2. A1 and A2 together give the 4 beeps so it looks like those ram slots are dodgy.

For dual channel its definitely A1 & B1, or A2 & B2. Says so in the manual anyway, and also only runs in single channel mode with no option to alter that in the BIOS when I put the ram in B1 & B2.

Bit of a bummer. I'm gonna have to RMA, unless I'm completely missing something...

Thanks for the input.

Check that the processor is seated correctly and that none of the pins in the motherboard are bent. The RAM controller is in the processor so this can affect the slots.

Ok, I'll have a look.

I'm pretty sure I seated the CPU correctly but I could be wrong....

Okay, yeah one of the pins is bent right over. What can I do about it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Bent-Pins-on-a-CPU first google option but seems like what I would do. Just be SO careful.

• Advertisement

I reset the pin in the socket and it all looks normal now. However, the same problem is occurring with the ram...

Advertisement