Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSFA free electricity units

Options
  • 03-10-2012 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi I was on to electric ireland today looking for information about my free electricity units, i have 1500 unused units and I will never be able to use them up. Why can i not get a cash refund for these units. If i was recieving my electricty elsewhere i would be getting it as cash in post office anyway. I did get a cash refund before from electric ireland for unused units. Is this just another ploy to rip off pensioners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Pkav1,

We are looking into this for you at the moment and will get back to you asap.

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pkav1

Hi Pkav1,

We are looking into this for you at the moment and will get back to you asap.

Regards,
    Una

Thats great Una thanks very much, otherwise i will just change to a different supplier and get the units as cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Now I've heard everything! The taxpayer through social welfare contributes towards your electricity and you want CASH for what you don't use. Any wonder we're broke!:mad::mad:

Do you remember writing this some time back?

"Thats the probelm with people now adays, have a baby and then think how much you can get outta the state"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Now I've heard everything! The taxpayer through social welfare contributes towards your electricity and you want CASH for what you don't use. Any wonder we're broke!:mad::mad:

"Thats the probelm with people now adays, have a baby and then think how much you can get outta the state"

You have misunderstood the point, the point is I am intitled to the free allowance, I have a choice as to whether or not I get the units from electric ireland or as cash at the post office. So if I dont use the units is it not the same as not spending the cash. Either way i dont really mind who has the money as long as its not boosting up the coffers for electric ireland. Btw I have made my contributions to the revenue all my life and this is why I am entitled to the allowance. I have never recieved anything for nothing off the state.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »

And this is relevant to my question, why?

That would be the quote as you wrote it - in case it might be misunderstood

Anyway i'd imagine the whole idea behind unused units being allowed to accumulate would have made a bit more sense back in the day when there was just the ESB as a supplier : when the winter arrived it allowed OAPs (especially) to use portable heaters/electric blankets etc on cold days without running out of the "free units" to which they were entitled to.

Of course then you have sheer genius like this :

"The council told the mother-of-two that it was impossible to restore her heating due to the vacant apartments surrounding hers and the ongoing regeneration work in the area."

So..... “a young woman with no other system disorder" died of hypothermia because "they" had enough to perform "ongoing regeneration work in the area" but couldn't get someone there to put in temporary heating.

That would be the quote as you wrote it - in case it might be misunderstood

Anyway i'd imagine the whole idea behind unused units being allowed to accumulate would have made a bit more sense back in the day when there was just the ESB as a supplier : when the winter arrived it allowed OAPs (especially) to use portable heaters/electric blankets etc on cold days without running out of the "free units" to which they were entitled to.

Of course then you have sheer genius like this :

"The council told the mother-of-two that it was impossible to restore her heating due to the vacant apartments surrounding hers and the ongoing regeneration work in the area."

Yet again why have you quoted a post about something completely different from 2 years ago, it doesnt make sence. I just want to know why i cannot be refunded unused units, i use oil central heating and have a gas cooker so i dont have a huge electric need, it would be nice to use the unused allowance towards my oil bill instead. I know if I change to Airticity I would be given €40approx per month in the post office to pay whatever i wish with it. Try sticking to the topic.

pkav1 wrote: »
    I know if I change to Airticity I would be given €40approx per month in the post office to pay whatever i wish with it.
    i use oil central heating and have a gas cooker so i dont have a huge electric need

Handy comparsion tool for prices from suppliers :

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/electricity/

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

Thank you for understanding my point, i'm not looking for anything extra, just what I would recieve if i was with a different supplier.

Thank you very much for the links, this is very usefull, as for that quote it was out of line and i regretted posting it, i was bored one night and was looking for a reaction or a argument, it was a bad time for me.

• Advertisement

as for that quote it was out of line and i regretted posting it, i was bored one night and was looking for a reaction or a argument, it was a bad time for me.

Nothing to me really, i don't run the place

http://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/republic.aspx

SEAI do insulation jobs :

"The service is provided at no cost to the household and the measures currently available under this scheme are:

Attic insulation.
    Draught proofing.
    Lagging jackets.
    Low energy light bulbs.
    Cavity wall insulation.
    Energy advice."

This scheme is available to homes which meet the following criteria:

Owner occupied non-Local Authority homes
    Constructed before 2002
    The owner is in receipt of one of the following:

o Fuel Allowance as part of the National Fuel Scheme
    o Job Seekers Allowance for over six months and with children under 7 years of age
    o Family Income support

Landlords can avail of grants from the Better Energy Homes scheme if they have tenants in, or at risk of, energy poverty. "

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Warmer_Homes_Scheme/About_the_BEWH.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Nice work! :D
    Totally relevant too as it highlights hypocrisy and a decidedly uncharitable attitude.
    How is it "ripping off pensioners" btw? Free units and no cash for those unused = rip-off? O... k... :confused:

Madam_X wrote: »
    Free units and no cash for those unused = rip-off? O... k... :confused:

Tis more of an "energy" allowance:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/HouseholdBenefits/Pages/hb.aspx

I'd imagine when there was just the ESB there , they came to some arrangement about all the "unused" units countrywide.

Tis more of an "energy" allowance:

I'd imagine when there was just the ESB there , they came to some arrangement about all the "unused" units countrywide.

Ah energy allowance, so I can spend it on oil gas whatever, i cant spend 1500 units of electricty on my oil bill. :D You see mt point?

Madam_X wrote: »
    Nice work! :D
    Totally relevant too as it highlights hypocrisy and a decidedly uncharitable attitude.
    How is it "ripping off pensioners" btw? Free units and no cash for those unused = rip-off? O... k... :confused:

"Totally relevant too as it highlights hypocrisy and a decidedly uncharitable attitude."

What has this got to do with electricity units??? Absolutly nothing. Stick to topic please.

How is any of that relevent to the opening post????

I'll explain, if i use Airtricity I get €40 cash approx a month allowance for electricity, if i use electric ireland I recieve units of free electricity allocated to my bill.

So if I dont use the free units its the same as not spending the cash, cash which i otherwise would recieve anyway.

Dont think Ican explain this anymore thoroughly

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Hi I was on to electric ireland today looking for information about my free electricity units, i have 1500 unused units and I will never be able to use them up. Why can i not get a cash refund for these units. If i was recieving my electricty elsewhere i would be getting it as cash in post office anyway. I did get a cash refund before from electric ireland for unused units. Is this just another ploy to rip off pensioners.
    At the end of the billing period you get, in addition to standing charges, an allowance of 300 units. You also get the benefit of being able to carry forward a maximum of 1200]/b] units between billing periods. If you're unhappy why not move to another provider so that you can spend your electricity allowance on whatever takes your fancy.

While you're spending and ripping off the tax payers, some of whom are struggling to make ends meet, then I hope you're at ease with your conscience.

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    .........so that you can spend your electricity allowance on whatever takes your fancy.

On absolutely maaaad stuff like heating oil and gas for cooking ?

The Household Benefits Package is made up of:
    • The Electricity Allowance (1800 units p/a) OR
    • The Electricity (Group Account) Allowance OR
    • The Natural Gas Allowance OR
    • The Bottled Gas Allowance (37.60/month)
      AND
    • The Telephone Allowance (22.58 as a credit OR 22.60 CASH)
    • AND
    • The Free Television Licence
    from .......

While you're spending and ripping off the tax payers, some of whom are struggling to make ends meet, then I hope you're at ease with your conscience.

Not a happy bunny ? Tell the people in here :

http://www.finfacts.ie/artman/uploads/4/Ireland-Government-buildings-Feb132012.jpg

ElectricIreland & ESBnetworks were great on the few times i've called them, even if it was awkward o'clock at the time.

On absolutely maaaad stuff like heating oil and gas for cooking ?

Why get an electricity allowance to pay for gas. I would have thought that a gas allowance would be more appropriate; but...

Not a happy bunny ? Tell the people in here :

http://www.finfacts.ie/artman/uploads/4/Ireland-Government-buildings-Feb132012.jpg

ElectricIreland & ESBnetworks were great on the few times i've called them, even if it was awkward o'clock at the time.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again PKav1,

This query is a matter for the Department of Social Protection as that is where the funding comes from.
    Contact number is 1890 500 000 or there is the option to call to your local social welfare office.

Regards,
    Una

At the end of the billing period you get, in addition to standing charges, an allowance of 300 units. You also get the benefit of being able to carry forward a maximum of 1200]/b] units between billing periods. If you're unhappy why not move to another provider so that you can spend your electricity allowance on whatever takes your fancy.

Why am i ripping off tax payers???? i paid my dues to society and my taxes all my life. Everyone in the state gets this allowance when they are on a pension so how am i any different to anyone else??? I'm baffelled to why you would say such a thing. Will you not recieve this allowace when your are on a pension??

• Advertisement

Why am i ripping off tax payers???? i paid my dues to society and my taxes all my life. Everyone in the state gets this allowance when they are on a pension so how am i any different to anyone else???

The way I see it is that if you receive cash to offset the price of a particular commodity and use it for something else then the tax payers' contributions are being misappropriated.
    I'm baffelled baffled to why you would say such a thing. Will you not recieve this allowace when your are on a pension??
    Based on your assumption, I would love to say that I don't know. The allowance could disappear in years to come.
    Unfortunately I can't because I am on pension and receive the allowance, which is used for the intended purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"Totally relevant too as it highlights hypocrisy and a decidedly uncharitable attitude."

What has this got to do with electricity units??? Absolutly nothing. Stick to topic please.

How is any of that relevent to the opening post????

I'll explain, if i use Airtricity I get €40 cash approx a month allowance for electricity, if i use electric ireland I recieve units of free electricity allocated to my bill.

So if I dont use the free units its the same as not spending the cash, cash which i otherwise would recieve anyway.

Dont think Ican explain this anymore thoroughly

So, like me, you don't use 40 euro electricity per month but you want the balance in cash to do with as you wish!! Brilliant. Now that is a great way to bleed the Social Welfare. Be grateful you are getting all your electricity for nothing and can use more for heating etc in Winter as you wish.:mad:

Advertisement