Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Businesses Opening Up!

Options
  • 03-10-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

im sick of this negativity, all doom and gloom, if you let it get to you, it will drag this city down. there is a lot of good thing happening, but of course the news papers just like the negative front page headlines. Good news seldom reach the front page, just a few lines on page 33 or so!

anyway - new business' and jobs in the last few months -
    Oskars Bar, Dunmore Road
    Sinnotts Bar, John St
    Design Print House, Barrack St
    Hot Corner, Barrack St
    La Blaa, The Mall
    Mint Cafe & Beauty Salon, The Mall
    Rice Guest House, New Owners, new refurb
    Vintage clothing, Michael St
    You Choose, Michael St
    New Phone Shop, New St
    Noras Pantry, yellow road
    Dealz, Waterford shopping Centre
    New Medieval Museum
    Maxol Garage, Dunmore Road

im sure there is more -
    id count 50 - 60 new jobs there -

and if ur round next Wednesday -
    Micro Business Network @ Granville Hotel 7pm -
    all new micro business that have set up recently, showcasing their works
    GO, SUPPORT THEM, DO NOT LAMENT THE PAST!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Le Blaa is brilliant!!!!!! Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Ersk Women's Clothing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

HostingIreland.ie opened in the Six Cross Rds Bus. Pk. recently. :)

New Audi Garage. :) (Does that count? :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Jason Todd wrote: »
    HostingIreland.ie opened in the Six Cross Rds Bus. Pk. recently. :)

New Audi Garage. :) (Does that count? :p)

it all counts -- why dont we shout about new businesses the same was that ppl bitch about shops closing and the city "dying"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Great point Jenny, seems we are skeptical of new shops when we really should give them all a chance!

Ok, stupid question but Le Blaa- are blaas the only thing on the menu or varieties of blaas, i.e ham blaa, sausage blaa etc? Have they other stuff on the menu then, I dont get into town much so I am curious. Also, dont blaas go a tad stale after a few hours!

• Advertisement

Great point Jenny, seems we are skeptical of new shops when we really should give them all a chance!

Ok, stupid question but Le Blaa- are blaas the only thing on the menu or varieties of blaas, i.e ham blaa, sausage blaa etc? Have they other stuff on the menu then, I dont get into town much so I am curious. Also, dont blaas go a tad stale after a few hours!

Come into the city and try it - it will be an experience for you - and visit the new medieval museum too! let go of some of your hard earned cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I agree Jennygirl... we've taken enough of a battering, lets cling onto and publicise whatever positivity we can - it has to turn sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Anybody know about the Micro Business Network next wednesday?

Is there going to be advice on starting up something yourself or is it just going to be hearing lads talk about their own companies?

Also, is it a ticket event or free? Where would I go about sourcing tickets?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

looder wrote: »
    Anybody know about the Micro Business Network next wednesday?

Is there going to be advice on starting up something yourself or is it just going to be hearing lads talk about their own companies?

Thanks.

i think it's in connection with Waterford area partnership so I'd say give them a ring tomorrow and they will fill you in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Shake Shack, City Square!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

looder wrote: »

Free entry. A meeting for everyone who started own business with a little helping hand of Waterford Area Partnership.

Usually 3-4 speakers on the day covering variuos topics and then a time for "workgroups" - you introduce yourself and your business to others around you.

If ye looking for advice - give WAP a call, they will introduce you to their offer and may enroll you for an evening "Starting your own business" course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Arts and Curios shop on the Quay just up from Dooleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabbage_Head

Kilkenny Co. Co. gave the green light for for the new Glanbia E200m milk processing plant near Belview Port just outside Ferrybank, which is set to be the second largest processing plant in Ireland after the headquarters in Ballyragget, which itself is the largest integrated dairy processing facility in Europe. This will give rise to 400 building jobs during construction and a further 100 full time jobs within when completed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/glanbias-200m-plant-to-create-400-building-jobs-205568.html

This is especially exciting for people like me, recent Agri Science graduates and will also be looking for graduates of Business, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Food Science etc. and not to mention a number of general operatives.

Of course, some people just have to disagree with everything but hopefully this will be a huge success not only for employment but also to deal with the inevitable surge in milk production when the quotas (or should i say 'traditional' quotas, but thats another story) are abolished in 2015.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/appeal-on-glanbia-plant-1-4285600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Sadly Belview isn't in Waterford.

Junior wrote: »
    Sadly Belview isn't in Waterford.

It is just outside Ferrybank, a 5-10 minute drive to Waterford and therefore a big interest to the people of Waterford in this sector. Not to mention that it will be processing milk from Waterford dairy farmers and will be employing some Waterford people. Ask any of the people living in the area where they conduct most of their business and im sure they will tell you what county.

I thought this thread was created to get away from the negativity?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Belview might be in co KK but it is less than 5 miles from Waterford City!

They'll love to be able to say "ye're always coming over the bridge stealing our jobs" for a change!

comeraghs wrote: »
    Belview might be in co KK but it is less than 5 miles from Waterford City!

They'll love to be able to say "ye're always coming over the bridge stealing our jobs" for a change!

well said!

The Reg is in for planning - should be open for next summer/tourist season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Kilkenny Co. Co. gave the green light for for the new Glanbia E200m milk processing plant near Belview Port just outside Ferrybank, which is set to be the second largest processing plant in Ireland after the headquarters in Ballyragget, which itself is the largest integrated dairy processing facility in Europe. This will give rise to 400 building jobs during construction and a further 100 full time jobs within when completed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/glanbias-200m-plant-to-create-400-building-jobs-205568.html

This is especially exciting for people like me, recent Agri Science graduates and will also be looking for graduates of Business, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Food Science etc. and not to mention a number of general operatives.

Of course, some people just have to disagree with everything but hopefully this will be a huge success not only for employment but also to deal with the inevitable surge in milk production when the quotas (or should i say 'traditional' quotas, but thats another story) are abolished in 2015.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/appeal-on-glanbia-plant-1-4285600[/QUOTE]

Hasnt ireland signed up some agreement with China for milk production? for the likes of baby formula etc, I read somewhere Ireland supplies the milk for a huge amount of countries around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

have just come back from the annual micro buisness showcase! there is hope for waterford jobs yet. About 20 exibitors, all very good quality products and services everything from hat makers, web designers, confectioners, beautitians, driving school, and lots more. Not an easy thing to do in such bad times, starting your own buisness so fair play to them all and hope they ll be well suported.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

New Internet cafe up on ballybricken,where ken mcgrath had his sports shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

A new bike shop has opened up in Johnstown Business Park, up the ramp on the right above Mary Grimes Catering.:)

Hasnt ireland signed up some agreement with China for milk production? for the likes of baby formula etc, I read somewhere Ireland supplies the milk for a huge amount of countries around the world.

You are very right, more than 80% of milk produced here in Ireland is exported to around 160 countries worldwide.
    Ireland is set (in theory) to increase milk production by up to 50% by 2020, driven by the abolition of quotas in 2015 (well quotas in their traditional sense, but thats for another day on the barstool). As it is, only about 15% of the milk we produce goes into use for the Irish people. We may be expanding production by 50%, but consumption aint gonna budge!

What we need to do is to produce milk and dehydrate it into powder form for products such as infant milk formula and whey etc. which can be shipped to the markets which are actually growing in the world, i.e Asia, or China as you correctly said.

Hence we need new processing facilities such as the one soon to be developed in belview. Very exciting for young graduates of agriculture, food science and engineering who are set to be involved with what (in theory/the top dogs say) is set to be a small scale revolution in Irish agriculture. A huge boost for Waterford, as although its address may be Kilkenny, it is basically in the suburbs of Waterford.

TL;DR

we're gonna produce more milk but people round here aint gona buy extra milk, so we need to send said milk off to places that actually will buy it, i.e Asia. Milk aint exactly got a long shelf life so we need to dehydrate it into powder form.
    Need more processing facilities to handle extra production, nice big processing plant due to set up just outside Waterford meaning hello to some jobs. win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Quiz clothing in debenhams as well as promod

Jane Norman and the woollen mills in city square ( same owners)

The men's clothes shop that ersk and sport savers own.. Jean junction or something close I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Also Eistech is relatively new and has created many jobs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

New Cafes & Restaurants -
    The Cove Bar
    Oskars Bar & Restaurant
    Le Blaa
    Bishops Palace
    Mexican take away (love to see a Mex Restaurant)
    Caseys Restaurant
    Place over Exchange
    JV's

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some of those places Jenny you have mentioned before and are open sometime now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Molloy Butchers in Ferrybank beside Post Office

Advertisement