Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smith Machine

• 03-10-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭

I have decided that I want to bulk up and get stronger so started doing dead lifts, squats and some bench pressing but what I want to know is it a good idea to do squats on a smith machine, I use it for bench pressing alright but just wondering is it safe for squats, I would be afraid that my technique might be wrong because a machine is assisting me,

And one more thing, someone told me that you can do dead lifts on a smith, please say they are wrong, I would say my back would scream at me if I did deadlifts on that, it doesnt seem natural

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I'd personally not use a Smith machine at all for any of them, just get a good form going , don't go too heavy too soon, and use a bench and power rack and the floor for dead lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

abceire wrote: »
    I'd personally not use a Smith machine at all for any of them, just get a good form going , don't go too heavy too soon, and use a bench and power rack and the floor for dead lifts.

Yeah was thinking of going light a while and working on my form, my form on the dead lift looks good. Had problems with my lower back before so im not rushing in to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Personally when Ive squatted in a smith machine its always felt like its tried to fold me in half, I cant imagine its ok to use with back problems as you cant move naturally lke youve said.
    Ive seen guys use them for all kinds of pressing and get bigger and stronger, rows are another option too, Terry Hollands likes smith rows as its easier to keep the form strict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

jamesbere wrote: »
    I have decided that I want to bulk up and get stronger so started doing dead lifts, squats and some bench pressing but what I want to know is it a good idea to do squats on a smith machine, I use it for bench pressing alright but just wondering is it safe for squats, I would be afraid that my technique might be wrong because a machine is assisting me,

And one more thing, someone told me that you can do dead lifts on a smith, please say they are wrong, I would say my back would scream at me if I did deadlifts on that, it doesnt seem natural

Smith Machines force your body into fixed, unnatural movements, good for shrugging and thats about it really....

Advertisement