Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baking bread

Options
  • 03-10-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

im looking for info on adjusting bread crusts. how to make different types of crusting.
    particularly for crusty bread rolls but also for other bread types as i would like to know about this in detail.
    my rolls for example come out of the oven perfect with a nice thin crispy crust. the crust softens over time and is not so crispy a few hours later. while this is normal enough it can be controlled. any info appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

I have tried lots of ways to try get a crusty loaf or buns, but I think the home oven is not quite up to the job,or at least not my one, the temperature on mine only go's up to 220c. while working in mothers bakery many moons ago, the temperature would reach 260c and steam would be used.but saying that, I stand to be corrected :) what will hold the crust for a bit longer is to slash the top, it increases the crust area and helps steam escape as the bread bakes, also to mist the loaves with water, which promotes the formation of a crisp hard crust, baguettes and the like, slash and mist, make sure your oven is preheated as high as it can go, I found this will hold the crust for longer,
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I usually brush the bread with some water before it goes into the oven which gives a nice crust.
    You could also give it a brush with a batter made from rice flour (or rusks), water, yeast, sugar and oil. It will crackle in the oven (tiger bread).

Once you take it out of the oven the humidity in the house will play a big part in how long your crust stays crusty though, so keep that in mind.

My recipe for baguette
    For 2 baguettes of 350 gr. each
    Preheat oven to 240°C (not a fan oven) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes
    This bread should be eaten on the same day, preferably still warm with a knob of salted butter.
    baget+%2528600+x+450%2529.jpg

ingredients
    • 15 gr fresh yeast (or equivalent in dried yeast)
    • 40 ml tepid water
    • 500 gr strong white flour
    • 270 ml tepid water
    • 10 gr salt
    preparation
    • In a small bowl mix yeast with the 40 ml of tepid water and set aside for 20 minutes.
    • In the bowl of your food mixer, add the flour that you bring together with some of the water (the amount of water can be rectified at a later stage as it depends on how much or little moisture your flour contains)
    • Add the yeast mixture.
    • Knead well for a couple of minutes, adding more water when needed.
    • Add the salt and knead for another 10 minutes
    • The dough should be pliable, but not stick to the hands.
    • Leave to prove, in the bowl, covered with a clean kitchen towel for about 45 minutes.
    • When the dough has doubled in size, put it on the flour-dusted worktop.
    bagette1+%2528450+x+600%2529.jpg
    • With the ball of your hand, gently press it out into a sheet of 1 to 2 cm thickness
    bagette3+%2528600+x+450%2529.jpg

bagette5+%2528600+x+450%2529.jpg
    • Lift one corner and roll the dough onto itself diagonally, to a sausage or baguette shape
    • Place seam side down on a baking tray that you lined with baking paper.
    bagette6+%2528600+x+450%2529.jpg
    • Cover with clean kitchen towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour (this depends, obviously, on the room temperature)
    • Make two cuts into the bread diagonally of approx 0,5 cm deep
    • Bake for 30 minutes
    bagette7+%2528600+x+450%2529.jpg

This recipe is calculated for a kenwood type food processor. If kneading by hand it will obviously take longer (and it's harder work)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

As previously stated oven temperature plays a huge role. It's very hard to replicate bakery temps at home. Typically speaking leaner doughs, doughs with less or no sugar and fat will be crisper. Whereas more enriched doughs will be softer ie breads containing more sugar and fat. Typically for a soft bread you would use up to 7% sugar and 10% fat without having to adjust your yeast. All percentages are based on the weight of flour. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

wish I was eating some now, what better on a cool crisp morning, :)
    thank you for lovely photo and recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm baking bread at the mo with a recipe almost identical to what lachatteGitane put up, just one big loaf though, just a plain one today but I'm liable to put anything in, roasted garlic is lovely and caramelised onions also, just bang a load of it in when you begin kneading, can't beat warm fresh bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have never made bread, but really want to start!

I bought the bread flour and yeast but would really like to make something with flavour. A friend of mine has said onion bread is lovely, has anyone got any recipes or tips for this? A sweet one, preferably.

I would also love to make a foccacia bread. I love the one in Superquinn with roasted peppers.

Would love some recipes or advice on methods/ kneading times, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

ElleEm wrote: »

I bought the bread flour and yeast but would really like to make something with flavour. A friend of mine has said onion bread is lovely, has anyone got any recipes or tips for this? A sweet one, preferably.

I would also love to make a foccacia bread. I love the one in Superquinn with roasted peppers.

If you've bought strong white flour chances are there is a basic bread recipe on the back, if you want to make a flavoured bread you could stick with that in the main, after a few attempts you can alter to your own taste, I always knead by hand for at least 10 minutes, listening to the radio or whatever time passes quickly, you could follow the recipe above on this page, you don't need fresh yeast, dried is fine.
    Anyway once you have your basic recipe try it out on its own to make sure your timing and all that are right.
    Caramelised onions are very easy to make and are great baked in bread. Chop a few onions and fry on a medium heat for about an hour(use butter) until they are dark brown but not burnt, mix these in with the dough while you are kneading. If you like roasted peppers you can do the same but this will make the mix very wet, you'll need to keep adding flour. Good luck, bread is easier than you'd think but it's time consuming and seems so much cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

sdp wrote: »
    I have tried lots of ways to try get a crusty loaf or buns, but I think the home oven is not quite up to the job,or at least not my one, the temperature on mine only go's up to 220c. while working in mothers bakery many moons ago, the temperature would reach 260c and steam would be used.but saying that, I stand to be corrected :) what will hold the crust for a bit longer is to slash the top, it increases the crust area and helps steam escape as the bread bakes, also to mist the loaves with water, which promotes the formation of a crisp hard crust, baguettes and the like, slash and mist, make sure your oven is preheated as high as it can go, I found this will hold the crust for longer,
    best of luck

im getting a really nice crusty roll, my oven goes up to 240. i use a 1lb loaf tin full of plumbing fittings which i preheat in the oven and when its ready i put a wet tea towel on top, this is very effective at making steam and really helps make crust.
    i also brush the rolls in a wash made of beaten egg with water added just before i bake them.
    my main issue is the crustyness deteriorates after a few hours, while i believe this is normal i also think i can be improved.
    I think slashing the top of the rolls is something to try as you say and maybe letting the oven heat up for 20mins first father than starting when it hits temp straight away.

I usually brush the bread with some water before it goes into the oven which gives a nice crust.
    You could also give it a brush with a batter made from rice flour (or rusks), water, yeast, sugar and oil. It will crackle in the oven (tiger bread).

Once you take it out of the oven the humidity in the house will play a big part in how long your crust stays crusty though, so keep that in mind.

nice info and amazing baguettes i see you really nailed the texture inside :)

im currently making french crusty rolls and and a french loaf, i have perfected it over the last month baking everyday! the recipe im using is pretty much identical to yours although the method is different. Im using the sponge method where I ferment water/flour/yeast overnight which they say gives the best flavor.
    looking at your baguettes though thats a great result!

ElleEm wrote: »

here is my french loaf recipe, its probably a good place to start, i have perfected over time.

800g french loaf

poolish
    300g flour
    300g water
    6g yeast
    mix quickly with wooden spoon to a thick batter and leave overnight

Dough
    add to poolish above

200g flour
    12g salt

Mix on speed 1 for 3 mins
    Mix on speed 3 for 3.5mins
    Fold
    Shape
    Proof for 60mins
    Egg wash
    Bake at 200 degrees for 40mins

I bake it in a 1.5kg loaf tin as it gives a nice consistent shape.

you can also just roll in into a ball shape or an oval shape, proof as above on a baking tray and then just bake it.
    I also add steam to the bake as described above but thats not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I cheat and use a bread machine, but it's not the same. I got this link from a previous bread thread here and it's full of tips and information on making your own bread:http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wallace60

Hi, just wondering has anybody tried Peter Reinhart's brown bread recipe's.
    I have a couple of his books, and I find the white bread nearly always turns out well. So does his Neapolitan Pizza recipe.
    I have yet to bake a really successful brown loaf. It just never seems to rise properly.
    Thanks for your help.

Wallace60

Advertisement