Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratchgate - storm in teacup?

• 03-10-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Im considering getting an iPhone5, and am just wondering how are they holding up with normal use? Some of you have them a week or so now - so is scratching really a problem? I dont mean smashing it on the floor or hitting it with knives etc - just normal in your pocket/handbag usage. Is the aluminum scratching or is it ok? Everytime I google this I get links to videos of people doing ridiculous things to their new phones.....so some real life reports would be great :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'd be asking the same question of those who've owned a HTC Desire S for about a year, without a case. they're essentially all aluminium. I've seen them with a nice bit of wear.

It's the nature of the material I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I have a white one since Saturday and its grand so far. Been in my bag, on my desk, in a cup holder in the car & I've had my keys & phone in the same hand - no scratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I have a white one since Saturday and its grand so far. Been in my bag, on my desk, in a cup holder in the car & I've had my keys & phone in the same hand - no scratches.

The problem seems to only really effect the black model though. A few have said the scratches happen easily. Others have said the opposite.

I was in the Meteor store on Henry street the other day and they have the black iPhone 5 on display. Seeing as its a display model I expected damage as it's been there over 5 days and it was mint. Not a signal scratch.

I dunno really, i'd say it's all hyped up to something that it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

DubDJ wrote: »
    The problem seems to only really effect the black model though. A few have said the scratches happen easily. Others have said the opposite.

I was in the Meteor store on Henry street the other day and they have the black iPhone 5 on display. Seeing as its a display model I expected damage as it's been there over 5 days and it was mint. Not a signal scratch.

I dunno really, i'd say it's all hyped up to something that it's not.

That's what I'm wondering really.....of course something will scratch if you hit it with a hammer etc or really dig keys into it.....but that's hardly real life. If I drop it I'd def expect dings, but that's what happens to anything when you drop it. I really just wonder how it will stand up to being in my pocket with keys/ change etc. I'd be pretty annoyed if I put it in my pocket and an hour later it was scratched to bits. And I just don't fancy putting a case on it....think it would ruin the looks. Plus I feel a phone that costs that much should be durable enough to not have to buy a case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

avalon68 wrote: »
    That's what I'm wondering really.....of course something will scratch if you hit it with a hammer etc or really dig keys into it.....but that's hardly real life. If I drop it I'd def expect dings, but that's what happens to anything when you drop it. I really just wonder how it will stand up to being in my pocket with keys/ change etc. I'd be pretty annoyed if I put it in my pocket and an hour later it was scratched to bits. And I just don't fancy putting a case on it....think it would ruin the looks. Plus I feel a phone that costs that much should be durable enough to not have to buy a case for it.

Yeah I agree with drops etc. it will be damaged like any other phone. But the main issue is the anodised aluminium on the black model. Because it is coated on the back and around the sides with a black colour, unlike the white model which isn't, the black is susceptible to scratches etc. Which isn't a good thing. Especially if it's as easy as it's been reported. I think the Black model is so much nicer than the white, so thats why i'm going for it, scratches or no scratches. I'll just have to deal with it if it does scratch easily. But I wont make my mind up until I have one of my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have had a black one since the 21st. I have 3 small scratches on the bottom side of the phone right above the speaker grill. I baby my phone so I have no idea how they got there.

That said, I know it's the nature of the phone and it won't really bother me. Plus when it gets too bad I can use Applecare+ to pay $50 and get a new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've been using my black iPhone 5 as normal since I got it on launch weekend. I keep it in the same pocket as my keys as I always do with phones. The back is fine but the sides and bezel are significantly scratched. I'm waiting on delivery of a cover.

Keep in mind it the sides and chamfered edges will scratch VERY easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Have had a black one since the 21st. I have 3 small scratches on the bottom side of the phone right above the speaker grill. I baby my phone so I have no idea how they got there.

That said, I know it's the nature of the phone and it won't really bother me. Plus when it gets too bad I can use Applecare+ to pay $50 and get a new phone.

Will apple care replace an iPhone for 50 euro on the basis of a scratch?

Will a Zagg shield protect against these scratches ?
    I personally wouldn't mind a few scratches myself but it is an expensive piece of kit, I'd like the option of selling it in the future when it's time to upgrade. I'd worry scratches would knock a fine chunk of value off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Will apple care replace an iPhone for 50 euro on the basis of a scratch?

Will a Zagg shield protect against these scratches ?
    I personally wouldn't mind a few scratches myself but it is an expensive piece of kit, I'd like the option of selling it in the future when it's time to upgrade. I'd worry scratches would knock a fine chunk of value off.

Technically, no. But the phone might suffer an accident and then it will be replaceable. Keep in mind this is AppleCare+ though, and that differs to the AppleCare that's available for the phone in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Elessar wrote: »
    I've been using my black iPhone 5 as normal since I got it on launch weekend. I keep it in the same pocket as my keys as I always do with phones. The back is fine but the sides and bezel are significantly scratched. I'm waiting on delivery of a cover.

Keep in mind it the sides and chamfered edges will scratch VERY easily.

That's disappointing to hear. I'm sure it will knock money off when it comes to reselling in a few years. I would prefer the black model, but this would make me lean towards the white tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

I had mine since launch day, and was nervous about scratches so went and got zaag shield in Carphone warehouse. They sell the full body kits for €25, but I only put the back on. It's nearly impossible to see its there on the black model, and I keep it in a slip case when it's in my pocket so not worried about screen scratches.

Zaag are all out of the full body protector online, so I'd advise going to car phone warehouse, they seem to have bought up the whole supply of them!

Advertisement