Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New SI

Options
  • 03-10-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Have been told about this new SI http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0216.html

I was wondering about this part and afew others:

1 Smooth-bore weapons with a calibre of less than 20 mm, other arms and automatic weapons with a calibre of 12,7 mm (calibre 0,50 inches) or less and accessories, as follows, and specially designed components therefor:

a. Rifles, carbines, revolvers, pistols, machine pistols and machine guns;

Note Paragraph 1. a. does not apply to the following:

a. Muskets, rifles and carbines manufactured earlier than 1938;
    b. Reproductions of muskets, rifles and carbines the originals of which were manufactured earlier than 1890;

c. Revolvers, pistols and machine guns manufactured earlier than 1890, and their reproductions;

b. Smooth-bore weapons, as follows:

1. Smooth-bore weapons specially designed for military use;

2. Other smooth-bore weapons as follows:
    a. Fully automatic type weapons;
    b. Semi-automatic or pump-action type weapons;

Whats with the 1938 and 1890 dates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

chem wrote: »
    Whats with the 1938 and 1890 dates?
    It may not have any basis; but it's nice to see a guideline in law as to what the heck can be classed as an antique firearm under the acts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Well it was whites auction house who told me! But 1938 for rifles etc.......can we all start collecting pre 1938 firearms now? without cert??

I'd say you'd need a test case first chem; but that case could cite that SI in defence of the definition (because there isn't any clear definition in the main Act) and that'd set the precedent.

So it's a nice bit of news, even if it's not complete yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

But it would have to be in the high court? To set a precedent? Did the government just "shoot its self in the foot" on this one? looks to me like just following some EU law "blind" and putting it into law! So my 1918 SMLE might just be off cert ;) Monday morning Law!! Does an SI over right and act?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I doubt people are going to be allowed have pre '38 firearms without a licence..that'll be cleared up fast..if only though:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I'd love a 1896 mauser and a 1911:D:D:cool: lol

But it would have to be in the high court?
    Yes, but at least you'd know one way or the other...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Well it was whites auction house who told me! But 1938 for rifles etc.......can we all start collecting pre 1938 firearms now? without cert??

That SI only covers export, you'd still need a cert to "have in your possession, use and carry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

why can't firearms chambered for obsolete cartridges be kept licenceless but on an authorisation from the super ? this is the way it is in the very anti-gun uk and it hasn't caused any problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

rowa wrote: »
    why can't firearms chambered for obsolete cartridges be kept licenceless but on an authorisation from the super ? this is the way it is in the very anti-gun uk and it hasn't caused any problems there.

Sure you can keep them as a de-act with the super's permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Blay wrote: »
    Sure you can keep them as a de-act with the super's permission.

Don't know about you but i hate to see perfectly good guns butchered , especially when you can't shoot them anyway. I seen a couple of the guns from the national museum , holes drilled in the barrels and bolt faces cut at an angle, absolute desecration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Good point. We could learn a lot from the UK and its hard to fathom why we dont. Their FAC system seems to work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Good point. We could learn a lot from the UK and its hard to fathom why we dont. Their FAC system seems to work very well.

Having suffered them since my first FAC back in 1967, I'm more than happy to discuss the UK's firearms laws off-forum by PM.

But not here.

Thank you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not strictly true, Ronan - if you are over 18 then you don't have to ask anybody for permission to acquire any kind of de-activated firearm, be it a Derringer or a machine gun.

Just don't wave it around so as to cause concern among the general populace, that's all.

Here in yUK that can get you shot dead where you stand.

tac

Advertisement