Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemplating first build for a man of simple needs

Options
  • 03-10-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Well folks, as the title suggest I need a new computer for my relatively basic needs, and have been seriously interested in perhaps doing my own first self build to give me something to do as much as my need for a computer.

All I really want it for is Using the internet and the adobe and microsoft office products with no major interest in gaming on it beyond FM13. I have nothing old to put towards it at all. Basically any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I really dont know what else to say but fire with any questions!

1. What is your budget? preferably < €400 but flexible

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internet and no major gaming beyond Football Manager

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. I would prefer 20"+ but not too fussy

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Everything I have nothing!

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Any/Every way

9. When are you purchasing? Whenever I get my p45 and get my tax back!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Donegal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think 400 is unrealistically low when you want a monitor and windows. And speakers etc!

Requirements for football manager list the graphics card as GPU – Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 or greater; Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater with at least 128mb of memory. While that's a good few generations old now, you'd probably be suited to the AMD Trinity APUs released yesterday.

You'd want at least €500. Maybe €550 to be comfortable. Do you specifically want a wireless card?

Advertisement