Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to adopt a cat but feel guilty

• 03-10-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello all,

I want to adopt a cat from a local rescue agency but I feel guilty about having to make the decision to choose one over the another. I feel bad if I choose one, others will be left there and unhomed.

Obviously, the ideal will be to adopting them all so they are getting equal love but this is not possible or realistic.:(

any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you thought about whether you want a kitten or an adult cat? If you can afford it, it might be worth adopting 2 kittens together or sometimes rescues have pairs of cats that they would like to be rehomed together.

Whatever decision you make the important thing to remember is that you will be giving a safe, loving home to a cat/cats that desperately needs one and there are so many kittens and cats needing homes.

You'll know which one is for you, cats have a way of picking you

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Do not, end up taking too many home you'll end up that crazy cat lady but two does sound like company... n they're only cats; aka low maintenance and maybe the only reason I'd opt for one over a dog. Consider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Anyone who loves animals would love to go to the shelter and just take them all home, it's natural because each and everyone of them deserves it. But no one person could do it all on there own. You have no reason to feel guilty, people who let their cats roam uneutered and producing thousands of kittens that there are not enough homes for are the ones that should feel guilty.

Think about it this way, by adopting even just one cat you are freeing up space for another cat that needs to be cared for to come in. And the cycle continues. Don't feel guilty that you can't take them all because no one can do it all on their own, spend a day at a shelter and you will see just a part of the massive team effort that happens every day in ireland to help and save stray,sick and injured animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Fair play to you, even if you take one little fella your doing something great .... I've rescued two ladies(kittens) and its the best thing ever, there so easy to look after as they've me trained the way they want!!!! If your out of the house a lot it would be good company to have two together. I think the ladies are easier to handle after there neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

Don't pick the cat, let the cat pick you. If the cats are wandering about free in a closed off area stand around and wait until one is curious enough to come up to you. You can't take them all, and this method worked wonders for us, once at the animal shelter (cat) and once when picking a kitten at a private house. Got two very sassy cats out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 selenawolf

Thanks all for the reply. Jenny, I like the "let them pick you" method. I might try it next time.

Advertisement