Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding a floor

• 03-10-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Planning to sand a wooden floor and polish it. My girlfriend has moved in and has asthma and the dust on the carpet is affecting her chest.

Was going to hire a sander and sand and polish it myself. The room is about
    12 x 12.

How difficult is it to do this oneself? Are there any pitfalls to look out for? Does it matter the condition of the boards themselves or what type of wood it is?

There are gaps in between the floor boards too. Do I just fill these in?

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

If it's the first time the floor has been sanded it's a hoor of a job IMO. It's one job I always shied away from.

Last time i paid about 20 euro /sq yard maybe it's a bit more but that'd be 320+ finished for that room to get a guy in.

And sleep in her gaff for a night or two while the varnish cures!

Also: if it's a suspended floor you are almost certain to notice an increase in drafts. Some floor-sander guys will fill gaps between the boards too (with wood slips), will cost a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Thanks for that.... not looking forward to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

I got a professional to do my livingroom, hall and diningroom. The floor was semi-solid, so needed to be done very carefully as there was only 3mm of hardwood.

What would be particularly relevent in your case, given your partners health issues is that the guy had a dust free sanding system which really worked well. Also, I went for a (commercial grade) water based varnish, which I'd highly recommend. The fumes from oil based varnish is very bad in my experience, and lingers for a long time.

Advertisement