Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring I know another one :/

• 03-10-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I've just started Food Science and thinking of putting in for a transfer but I have just a few questions before I go and go and talk to the first year co-ordinator .

The courses I am looking at transferring into are :

Bio Chem

Environmental and Earth

Would love to transfer into Genetics but not a hope in hell because of points. :(

My questions:

Do any of ye know if those courses are completely full ? As then there would no point in even thinking about transferring :confused:

Food Science shares alot of modules with Enviro: Maths, Physics, Chem and Bio but they have geolgy etc and I'm doing the specific FS modules

So If I did transfer would it be possible to catch up ?

I know that enviro have started some of their labs so how would that work would I lose marks before I've even started ?

Bio chem is trickyer as they're doing a different Physics , Chem and 1 Bio module so I've probably missed alot already :eek:

Sorry if this post isn't very clear.

Even though I like my course so far the FS modules are interesting but I don't see myself wanting to work in food at the end of college, as I'm more interested in the Biology side.

Unless would you think that I could do a Masters and get in to that way but it's a long way of going about it I suppose.

Nearing the end I promise :D

If I didn't put in for a transfer this year would it be possible to put one in next year and go straight into 2nd year ? ( does this sort of thing ever happen )

As I'm doing the shared modules :pac:

Or would you just be exempt from those modules and still have to go through first year ?

I put the more important questions in BOLD but that has made this post even worse :(:(

SOrrrrrrrrrry

Cheers in advance for any help :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brendan Mason

Asking people here probably isn't going to be of much help to you. Best thing to do is to email/visit the education officer of the student union and they'll set you off on the right course of action to transfer (or even whether it's possible to transfer to any of these courses).

I did environmental science (followed by zoology) in UCC and I remember sharing the vast majority of classes with food science for the first half of the year. I honestly don't think there'd be any issue with catching up. I'm pretty sure even at this point, chemistry and biology labs in Environmental and Food science are pretty much the exact same.

The modules you wouldn't have been doing include some Geography and Geology. The most important component of geography are the field trips and they haven't started yet. Geology will have begun doing a few rudimentary labs explaining the absolute basics, which you could easily catch up on by hitting the library hard over a weekend combined with getting chummy with somebody in the class to help you. Plus the geology staff are super friendly and helpful.

So basically: it's the start of October and you haven't missed very much that a bit of diligent study could help you with. As for transferring to Environmental from 2nd yr, I'm 100% certain that's not possible. Geology picks up steam towards the end of the year and has a very important week long field trip. Ditto the zoology modules. The amount of background info you'd be missing at that point would be too much.

Good luck with it and hope I was some bit of help!

Advertisement