Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TURKEY SAYS HAS STRUCK TARGETS IN SYRIA

• 03-10-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭

....in retaliation for a Syrian shell landing in turkey killing five.

This is just breaking atm

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters TURKEY SAYS HAS STRUCK TARGETS IN SYRIA IN RESPONSE TO MORTAR STRIKE ACROSS BORDER - STATEMENT FROM PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE

This could get really messy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

JESUS TITTYFUCKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dustin at it again, obviously its revenge for no votes at the Eurovision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Turkey in first strike before Christmas!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O' dear, this is not good.
    I will have to wait and see what happens from my bunker.

EDIT: Should make the USA presidential debate tonight more interesting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Whats the worst could happen:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Biggins wrote: »

I didn't even think of that.
    We'll break it down "I'm pro war" vs "I'm against war".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Considering Syria is like the couple next door that are battering the head off each other and burning the furniture, is there a possibility Syria won't notice and just put it down to an exhaust backfiring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Whats the worst could happen:confused:

The absolute worst?

A Russian backed Syria v a NATO backed Turkey leads to WWIII.

The least that could happen...Syria states it will be more careful in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Hopefully they wipe each other out.The Syrians because they are the biggest pot stirrers in the middle east and the Turks because they are horrible football fans(Galatassary et al.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Thrill wrote: »

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters TURKEY SAYS HAS STRUCK TARGETS IN SYRIA IN RESPONSE TO MORTAR STRIKE ACROSS BORDER - STATEMENT FROM PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE

could? dude there have been atleast 28,000 deaths (largest figure is at 48,000) in Syria due to the civil war.. been messy for quite some time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Hopefully they wipe each other out.The Syrians because they are the biggest pot stirrers in the middle east and the Turks because they are horrible football fans(Galatassary et al.)

Great analysis, very mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Keano is heading out there, he'll sort them out!

The absolute worst?

A Russian backed Syria v a NATO backed Turkey leads to WWIII.

The least that could happen...Syria states it will be more careful in future.
    I vote we sign a petition to pursuade James Reilly to spin it as "just an exhaust backfiring" so, probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

*looks at location*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

War, huh, what is it good for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might as well say it....... Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Absolutely nothing

Might as well say it....... Israel
    Yeah, the gurrier at the bar sees a fight break out and launches off his chair to "help".

The USA Republicans.
    Haliburton.
    Private security armies!
    The weapons industry.
    The funeral business.

I could personally live without all the above!

• Advertisement

wprathead wrote: »
    could? dude there have been atleast 28,000 deaths (largest figure is at 48,000) in Syria due to the civil war.. been messy for quite some time now

That's true enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of the scale of a Turkey/Syria conflict though, which would make the current casualty count in Syria seem like a skirmish.

Sky News now reports person or persons killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The funeral business.

I could personally live without all the above!

Most people do, without the above.:pac:

Sky News now reports person or persons killed.
    well feck it, that's the whole "exhaust scheme" gone out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

could be the pkk?.I'd say turkey will be moderate ..most of syria now lives there..dreams of europe probably ..but what a disaster the middle east is..timebomb baby its a timebomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Looking for maturity in After Hours?? :rolleyes:

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Looking for maturity in After Hours?? :rolleyes:

It can be found if looked for at times.

Meanwhile: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1003/breaking52.html
    Turkey's military struck targets inside Syria today in response to a mortar bomb fired from Syrian territory which killed five Turkish civilians, prime minister Tayyip Erdogan's office confirmed tonight

A woman and her three daughters were killed in Akcakale, Turkey today along with another woman, state-run Anatolia news agency reported, citing local authorities.

Sanliurfa Province governor Celalettin Guvenc said three or four Syrian shells fell in the border town. Hundreds of residents marched to the local governor's office after the incident, demanding the resignation of town authorities, CNN-Turk said.

Zaman newspaper, without citing anyone, said Turkish artillery batteries stationed on the border had begun firing warning salvos across the border with Syria. The report could not be independently verified.

Syrian leaders have blamed Turkey for aiding rebels who are fighting to oust president Bashar al-Assad. The Turkish government, which hosts about 94,000 Syrian refugees, has allowed some opposition fighters to use the country as a base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Well that's Turkey off the holiday destination list for 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

*Changes Boards Forum skin to War Theme*

• Advertisement

Well that's Turkey off the holiday destination list for 2013.

Dunno - might be a great place to go if you want to start collecting shells on beaches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Americans are rapidly putting Turkish emblems and flags on their hardware, so they can launch an all-out offensive in Syria and hope that the Chinese and the Russians don't catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Americans are rapidly putting Turkish emblems and flags on their hardware, so they can launch an all-out offensive in Syria and hope that the Chinese and the Russians don't catch on.

I bet Yanks would love putting the cresent moon on their stuff. It's better than the cross!:pac:

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters NATO ambassadors to meet under NATO Article 4, for consultations when a
    member state feels territorial integrity under threat - official

What happens next is up to Syria I reckon. A retaliatory strike is totally different from an accidental shelling and would lead to an even larger strike by Turkey. Escalation is the last thing Assad needs as he is currently fighting at home.

They need to calm things now before Syria do something stupid.

Just read that Turkey deployed tanks artillery and missile batteries to the Syrian border. Probably just a precaution. Hopefully Syria reads nothing more into it than that.

Also that one of the Turkish targets was an airport in Edibl

Red Hand wrote: »
    I bet Yanks would love putting the cresent moon on their stuff. It's better than the cross!:pac:

They'd use Swastikas if they thought they could get away with something.:P

NATO demands immediate cessation of aggressive acts against fellow NATO member Turkey.

NATO says it stands by Turkey, urges Syria to put an end to "flagrant violations of international law" - statement

Syria says it's investigating the source of a shell that hit Turkey, extends condolences to the Turkish people - Reuters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

might be a good idea to fill the car up now and not tomorrow or the following days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I hate Turkey* !

*Much prefer Chicken

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters Syria says it respects the sovereignty of neighboring countries, urges "states
    and governments" to act wisely and rationally

Looks like Syria are doing their best to defuse the situation. They have already said they will be investigating the shelling incident and have sent their condolences to the people of Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There's the price of the home heating oil back going through the flamin roof:mad:

I would imagine that NATO doesn't need a UN resolution to enable it to give Bashir a bashing for pissing off the Turks.

It might persuade the Russians and Chinese to change their vote so that they don't get left out of a Syrian fire sale.

• Advertisement

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters Syria says it respects the sovereignty of neighboring countries, urges "states
    and governments" to act wisely and rationally

Looks like Syria are doing their best to defuse the situation. They have already said they will be investigating the shelling incident and have sent their condolences to the people of Turkey.
    ........Reccomends "exhaust theory" and it's chief proponent to the Syrian Regime. Cunningly defuses situation, sits back and enjoys "world peace"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Finally...it arrived ! Waiting for the sign... :eek:
    Will they finish by December 21st !??

rolion wrote: »
    Finally...it arrived ! Waiting for the sign... :eek:
    Will they finish by December 21st !??

They might and then again they mayan't not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Soviet Russia invaded Finland by shelling its own troops and blaming it on the Finns

Nazi Germany claimed Poland attacked it to use as a reason for invasion

just saying like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

dj jarvis wrote: »
    Soviet Russia invaded Finland by shelling its own troops and blaming it on the Finns

just saying like

Some say the US let Pearl Harbor happen. I don't think the same level of conspiracy can be maintained for long in the year 2012. If anything fishy is going on it'll probably come to light.

Shryke wrote: »
    Some say the US let Pearl Harbor happen. I don't think the same level of conspiracy can be maintained for long in the year 2012. If anything fishy is going on it'll probably come to light.
    err, no. On so many level, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Shryke wrote: »

but the cases i pointed out were not even truly hidden , Everyone knew they were spoofing , to me this sounds the same , turkey and Syria have a history , Turks have been flexing their muscle with strikes into Iraq against the "rebels"

i know im adding 1 + 1 and getting 50 , but still does remind me of the cases i mentioned - would not surprise me one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

in the first world war......the best and most efficient turkish fighting units.....were syrians....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

dj jarvis wrote: »

just saying like

And the Finns destroyed the Russians, just saying :pac:

Don't think WW3 is starting just yet, Syria can't fight Turkey and have a civil war looming, will be forgotten about in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Have you ever watched the West Wing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement