Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TURKEY SAYS HAS STRUCK TARGETS IN SYRIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Keano is heading out there, he'll sort them out!

Too late, Keanu has already arrived.

I think it's a bit rich of Turkey to play the victim here. After all, they are basically training and supplying Syrian rebels against the Syrian government and allowing them to use Turkish territory as a staging post for rebel operations. Surely that's a provocation against Syria in itself. The USA/NATO saw provocations against them as a pretext to launch their War on Terror. You can't really say what happened today on the Turkish-Syrian border was unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

IvySlayer wrote: »
    And the Finns destroyed the Russians, just saying :pac:

Don't think WW3 is starting just yet, Syria can't fight Turkey and have a civil war looming, will be forgotten about in months.

neither do i , just reminded me of past events , and yes the Finns kick ass in the winter war and the continuation war - SISU !!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

So in a few years add Syria to Oman, Turkey, Bahrain, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel, the UAE and Afghanistan for Nato bases.

Oh look Iran is there slap bang in the middle of it all with its oil and its nuke program.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Have you ever watched the West Wing?

Youtube Video Inserted

Best TV show ever made.

(...And I am a sci-fi fan.)

One concerning thing here is that if Turkey invades Syria, Iran might become engaged in the conflict. Syria and Iran apparently have some sort of mutual defense agreement, meaning that if Syria is invaded by Turkey, Iran may take action against Turkey. Read the following excerpt from the following article dated 31st July 2012:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19058704

As the crisis deepened, Iran - a close ally of Damascus - warned Turkey not to intervene militarily, the Syrian state-controlled al-Watan newspaper said.

"Any attack on Syrian territory will meet with a harsh response, and the Iranian-Syrian mutual defence agreement will be activated," it reported on Monday.

If this is true, then if Turkey is attacked by Iran as a retaliatory response to a possible Turkish invasion in Syria, the US/NATO/Israel may have a further excuse to launch military action on Iran as Turkey is a NATO member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dj jarvis wrote: »
    neither do i , just reminded me of past events , and yes the Finns kick ass in the winter war and the continuation war - SISU !!

But the Finns still had to cede some territory to the Russians when the Russians got their act together and had another go.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Turkey Renews Artillery Strikes On Syria

Turkey fired on Syrian targets for a second day Thursday but said it has no intention of declaring war, despite tensions after deadly shelling from Syria killed five civilians in a Turkish border town.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/04/162273018/turkey-renews-artillery-strikes-on-syria?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

I think it's a bit rich of Turkey to play the victim here. After all, they are basically training and supplying Syrian rebels against the Syrian government and allowing them to use Turkish territory as a staging post for rebel operations. Surely that's a provocation against Syria in itself. The USA/NATO saw provocations against them as a pretext to launch their War on Terror. You can't really say what happened today on the Turkish-Syrian border was unexpected.
    Link to evidence for that claim, please.
    Otherwise have the decency to withdraw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Thrill wrote: »

Turkey fired on Syrian targets for a second day Thursday but said it has no intention of declaring war, despite tensions after deadly shelling from Syria killed five civilians in a Turkish border town.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/04/162273018/turkey-renews-artillery-strikes-on-syria?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sit-com idea? Fresh Prince of Beirut (aka Assad):

In West Damascus,
    born an' raised,
    in the mosque is where i spent mosta my days,
    Chillin out, maxin', relaxin' all cool,
    An' all shootin some dissidents outside of the school,
    When a couple o' rebels who were up to no good,
    Started makin' trouble in my neighbourhood,
    I got in one little shelling and my mom got scared,
    She said 'You're movin with your auntie and uncle in Beirut!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So they are shelling each other but they're not at war? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

MadYaker wrote: »

India and Pakistan seem to do it regularly enough.

MadYaker wrote: »

Syria hasn't responded to Turkeys shelling with strikes of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Syria hasn't responded to Turkeys shelling with strikes of their own.

Must be because they are girlie-men :rolleyes:

We should help the Turks rebuild the Ottoman Empire, then let them join the EU so's we can get some cheap oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Wonder why Syria shelled Turkey in the first place? Was is the Syrian govt or the rebels hoping Turkey would give the govt a pounding?

Wonder why Syria shelled Turkey in the first place? Was is the Syrian govt or the rebels hoping Turkey would give the govt a pounding?

Was probably accidental. The FSA control a number of border crossings as well as territory close to Turkey. Syrian artillery has hit Turkish soil before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Apparently there were rebels in Al-Rouge which is on the border with Turkey, and they bombed it with tanks.
    India and Pakistan seem to do it regularly enough.

India and Parkistan have a weird animosity have you ever seen videos of their soliders dancing at the borders. They do this every day.

Also off topic but I read this name in a news aricle
    Mahmoud Ali

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Was probably accidental. The FSA control a number of border crossings as well as territory close to Turkey. Syrian artillery has hit Turkish soil before.

Soooo, why keep on shelling if it were an isolated boo-boo?

Probably to discourage the Syrian Army from further artillery use in the area. Alternatively it could be a precursor to the establishment of safe havens.

• Advertisement

I've read that there have been ten incidents of cross border shelling this year by the Syrians, this is the first to cause Turkish deaths though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Fowl play is afoot!

Reuters: Official says Turkey has not received any explanation or apology from Syria following cross-border shelling

Reuters: Turkish parliament approves military operations outside its borders if government deems them necessary following Syrian shelling

AP: State media says Turkey’s Parliament approves bill authorizing military operations in Syria.

The next wayward shell by Syria could be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is why Turkey can't have nice things... like EU membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If Turkey were in the EU now the whole of europe could be dragged into potentially a war in the middle east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Shryke wrote: »
    Some say the US let Pearl Harbor happen. I don't think the same level of conspiracy can be maintained for long in the year 2012. If anything fishy is going on it'll probably come to light.

Some also say we are controlled by the lizard mean. But only until the rise of the Morlocks

If Turkey were in the EU now the whole of europe could be dragged into potentially a war in the middle east.

Well since Turkey are a part of NATO that would happen anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

They are a member of NATO , so they have already invoked article 4 , which I think is basically , if someone has attacked any NATO state , they have attacked them all.

It won't happen , but it could in theory bring NATO into this war.

Some also say we are controlled by the lizard mean. But only until the rise of the Morlocks

Well since Turkey are a part of NATO that would happen anyhow

I will confer with Merkel

Davidth88 wrote: »
    They are a member of NATO , so they have already invoked article 4 , which I think is basically , if someone has attacked any NATO state , they have attacked them all.

It won't happen , but it could in theory bring NATO into this war.

Thats Article 5, an attack against one is an attack against all

Article 4, which they invoked, of the NATO charter provides for consultations when one member feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Article 4 of the NATO charter provides for consultations when one member feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is under threat.

Thanks ... mis read the news .

• Advertisement

AP: Turkey says Syria admits shelling Turkish village, apologizes for civilian deaths.

Looks like it wasn't the rebels trying to drag Turkey into it by faking a Syrian shelling, as has been theorised by some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

its all down to the successor . Mainly the americans can't see who they would be happy running the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Article 4, which they invoked, of the NATO charter provides for consultations when one member feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is under threat.

Are you sure it's not Article 196156. 'Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial.

Funkfield wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not Article 196156. 'Any officer caught sniffing the saddle of the exercise bicycle in the women's gym will be discharged without trial.

Thats Article 1, and the officer get a promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Thats Article 1, and the officer get a promotion.

My bad. I thought Article 1 was 'No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity.'

Video uploaded by "Today's Zaman - the best selling English-language daily in Turkey" which claims to show the Turkish shelling of Syria.

Turkish military returns fire after mortar bomb from Syria lands in farmland in Turkey's Hatay province - state news agency via Reuters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

International community: "Hey - where's the Americans? Send them in and let them use their money and their troops to take care of this problem."

Americans: "Yeah... we don't know. We're like totes tired of fighting. We're also trying to keep on a budget. We have renovations to make at home."

International: "You bastards are heartless. Can't you see they are killing innocent civilians."

Americans: "Dude, that ****'s awful too."

Int comm: "Are you going to do something?"

Americans: "Other than elect our next POTUS? Naw. Not really."

Intl: "OMG! Look at TURKEY!"

Americans: "Awesome. There's your intervention."

Intl: "But they are going to make things worse."

Americans: "And we'll make it better?"

Intl: "Uhm...."

Americans: "So you want us to go in there, sending our tired military, while we are struggling to come out of the worst recession to hit us since the Great Depression...."

Intl: "Everyone got hit by the recession!"

Americans: "Everyone's not American. 'Sides, those bastards in the ME look like their doing okay." *shrugs shoulders*

Intl: "Seriously? That's oppression not recession."

Americans: "Their fault. They should have embraced democracy like we said."

Intl: "You supposed to be good cop, dumb motherf*cka!"

Americans: "Chill, man. Ain't no need to get all righteous. See you at the Winter Olympics?"

Intl: "Yeah, man. We'll be there."

Americans: "Cool."

Ten minutes later....

Americans: "F*ck man. Y'all know the Olympics are in Russia?"

Intl: "Yeah dude. Everyone knows."

Americans: "F**************CCCCK!"

Intl: *Laughs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

You forgot the part that when they do go in they're seen as evil imperialists:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    You forgot the part that when they do go in they're seen as evil imperialists:P

Oh, that's part two. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Russia dont give a toss about Syria, they are just a business partner/customer. They will protect their customer politically but when push comes to shove they wont bother.

Russia dont give a toss about Syria, they are just a business partner/customer. They will protect their customer politically but when push comes to shove they wont bother.

With the Chinese also backing Syria, I don't think anyone's going to test this.

Turkey was hitting them with artillery again today and not a word of protest from anyone.

I think the international community are hoping that if they ignore it, it'll go away.

A "Don't mention the war" sort of thing.

Turkey was hitting them with artillery again today and not a word of protest from anyone.

I think the international community are hoping that if they ignore it, it'll go away.

A "Don't mention the war" sort of thing.

I think its back to the America again. They are the only ones that have the bite to follow up the bark. Its election time so they won't want to make any moves. I see Romney has said he would are the opposition

• Advertisement

...I see Romney has said he would arm the opposition

Romney says a lot - but then he lies an awful lot!
    You cannot trust one word he says. Not one word.

The issue with Russia is that Syria is its last remaining influence country in the middle east. It will be a but diplomacy slap in the face when the regime falls.

Biggins wrote: »
    Romney says a lot - but then he lies an awful lot!
    You cannot trust one word he says. Not one word.

Give me a politican that doesn't lie

The issue with Russia is that Syria is its last remaining influence country in the middle east. It will be a but diplomacy slap in the face when the regime falls.

Add to that, Russia knows that China is taking over in influence (by the financial back-door alone) many African states and the USA is still expanding its influence in a number of ways, Russia knows its on a losing numbers game presently.

Biggins wrote: »
    Add to that, Russia knows that China is taking over in influence (by the financial back-door alone) many African states and the USA is still expanding its influence in a number of ways, Russia knows its on a losing numbers game presently.
    ya no one else would buy their crap military hardware

• Advertisement
Advertisement