Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking

• 03-10-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

While trying to get from the City Centre carpark to William St. today I had to navigate my way around 4 cars on Anne St., 2 on Thomas St. and 1 more on Wickham St, all abandoned on double yellow lines. These people really make me angry. The common excuse is that they have no choice, there's nowhere to pull in for a few minutes. That may be so but that doesn't give you the right to cause an obstruction for every one else. Does anyone else think that it should be legal to vandalise these cars? It would sure make me feel good.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No, vandalising other peoples property is cowardly and illegal. Report them if you like.

I think that they all deserve fines. Particularly by that car park. No where to park. Next to a car park. Cheap bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BamBam92

Agreed! Also by the station too were they dont park, just stop in the middle of the road, get out and put in/out luggage and everything else! sooo annoying! did anyone hear there is 4 new traffic wardens stationed in Limerick today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

MarkR, maybe not vandalise too much, just some scratching of paint work?
    BamBam, That's good news. Something might finally be done about these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Gaelscoil on Thomas Street are to blame twice a day. They create bedlam. I use Thomas Street numerous times a week and its always the same with crazy parkers. The Polish/Latvian(or similar) store is no good either with its customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Ah sure don't they have their park anywhere lights on :p

I have been trapped behind what I thought was a lane of traffic on Parnell Street and around the back of Arthurs Quay far too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

William Street is a joke too. Just cos there's two lanes going in the same direction doesn't mean you can double park outside Enzo's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

William €uro shop Street was like an obstacle course last Saturday, weaving between lanes to avoid double parked cars. I reckon the traffic wardons could make their weekly quota from just an hour working up and down that street. Total disaster since it was redesigned.

No Bazz, I was on William Street the other day parked on the right hand side(legally) and watching the traffic warden(waiting for him to go away so I could leave without a ticket of course) and as he walked down the street all the double parkers spotted him and moved on. They probably just went around the block.

It's the Taxis I hate who park outside A-Wear waiting to get into the lane on the left. They should, by right, use the rank down by Sarsfield Street to queue for William Street. Should be an unwritten rule really. They won't though because they own the fvcking road. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BamBam92 wrote: »
    Agreed! Also by the station too were they dont park, just stop in the middle of the road, get out and put in/out luggage and everything else! sooo annoying! did anyone hear there is 4 new traffic wardens stationed in Limerick today?

It was in the Leader today that the have the funding to hire 6 new wardens. There are only 4 now. Bring them in ASAP I say. I drive through town every day and I'm sick of the illegal parking, especially on William St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

pigtown wrote: »
    While trying to get from the City Centre carpark to William St. today I had to navigate my way around 4 cars on Anne St., 2 on Thomas St. and 1 more on Wickham St, all abandoned on double yellow lines. These people really make me angry. The common excuse is that they have no choice, there's nowhere to pull in for a few minutes. That may be so but that doesn't give you the right to cause an obstruction for every one else. Does anyone else think that it should be legal to vandalise these cars? It would sure make me feel good.

"Navigate"?, Wickham st fair enough, cars pulled in there can cause an obstruction, I'd be very surprised if the two cars on Thomas St in particular caused you any grief, there's never any traffic coming down the hill, would you let me know what time it was so I can see if I was one of the culprits.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Limerick is one big Taxi Rank these days!

"Navigate"?, Wickham st fair enough, cars pulled in there can cause an obstruction, I'd be very surprised if the two cars on Thomas St in particular caused you any grief, there's never any traffic coming down the hill, would you let me know what time it was so I can see if I was one of the culprits.:o
    It was about half 2, and yes there were cars coming against me. I find Anne St. the worst. For some reason these idiots park as close to the junction with Thomas St. as possible, meaning that I have to drive up to the junction in the wrong lane without being able to see if anything is coming against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It was about half 2, and yes there were cars coming against me. I find Anne St. the worst. For some reason these idiots park as close to the junction with Thomas St. as possible, meaning that I have to drive up to the junction in the wrong lane without being able to see if anything is coming against me.

A lot of things get on my wick when I'm driving, I'd be as angry as the next fella(maybe worse) behind the wheel, I think you are being a bit extreme here with the example you gave, remember you started this by suggesting it should be OK to vandalise these cars. I regularly have occasion to pull in on Thomas st and sometimes that end of Anne St for a few minutes, that's all it ever is, I feel no shame in doing this because the traffic can always move freely and no-one is ever delayed, you may have to wait for a few seconds while someone passes on the other side but thats it, you'll be waiting at the top of Thomas St in any case unless you are very lucky, as I said the flow of traffic down Thomas st is very light, I usually pull up with my passenger wheels on the footpath, this is necessary for me as there is very little parking in that area and I'm not gonna go into a car park for such a short time, would you?
    I wouldn't dream of double parking on a one way st like Wickham as this could cause chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There are certain streets where people might double park for a few mins to run in and out of a shop which is fair enough but William Street is the biggest joke. It is a main bloody street through the city and the right hand lane is used as parking. Not even I'm nipping into the shop for two seconds of a spot, it is actually being used by cars that are left totally abandoned while people go shopping around town.

Last Sunday I was driving up William street and as usual up to 10 cars all parked on the yellow lines in the right hand lane, to make it worse a car in the left hand lane up a head of me spotted a gap between the illegally parked cars, stopped, threw his car into reverse and tried to parallel park into the little gap on yellow lines, holding up the whole street.

How on earth can people not see they are parking illegally in the middle of town on a Main Street causing obstruction to everyone is baffling. These cars in my opinion need to be towed away. It's the only way people will learn to not do it.

The other problem with driving on William street is people stepping out onto the road on the right hand side without looking. It's like people presume no one will be using this lane and just step out. I've had three near misses from pedestrians and another when a woman walked down the right hand lane, looked up to see me waiting for her to get off the road and she gave me the dirtiest look like what the hell are doing driving in this lane for, much to the amusement of everyone else on the footpath.

Don't even get me started on the double parked taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I blame the flower pots

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I blame the flower pots

I blame the dancers

I blame the flower pots
    Jofspring wrote: »
    I blame the dancers

I blame the lack of a Monorail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I blame the flower pots
    I blame the dancers

I blame the lack of a Monorail.

I hear those things are awfully loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

I blame the governent for lack of edukation.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

source wrote: »

No-one's biting ;)

Parnell St has to be the worst heading towards Wickham St, rule seems to be hazard lights on while I go in to rio's for ten minutes means double parking is ok, my hazards are on sure!

• Advertisement

A lot of things get on my wick when I'm driving, I'd be as angry as the next fella(maybe worse) behind the wheel, I think you are being a bit extreme here with the example you gave, remember you started this by suggesting it should be OK to vandalise these cars. I regularly have occasion to pull in on Thomas st and sometimes that end of Anne St for a few minutes, that's all it ever is, I feel no shame in doing this because the traffic can always move freely and no-one is ever delayed, you may have to wait for a few seconds while someone passes on the other side but thats it, you'll be waiting at the top of Thomas St in any case unless you are very lucky, as I said the flow of traffic down Thomas st is very light, I usually pull up with my passenger wheels on the footpath, this is necessary for me as there is very little parking in that area and I'm not gonna go into a car park for such a short time, would you?
    I wouldn't dream of double parking on a one way st like Wickham as this could cause chaos.

Fair enough I was quite annoyed when I wrote that but maybe vandalising cars might get it through to people not to park in a traffic lane.You say traffic can always move freely and nobody is delayed but how is this possible? You obstruct their path so of course they can't move freely, and I have been delayed on numerous occasions on Thomas St. because there has been traffic coming against me. You also say it's necessary for you as you don't want to pay in a carpark bit why cant you stop in a laneway or a side street? Why do you think you're entitled to cause an obstruction in the city?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does anyone else think that it should be legal to vandalise these cars? It would sure make me feel good.
    Fair enough I was quite annoyed when I wrote that but maybe vandalising cars might get it through to people not to park in a traffic lane.

No. Just no. And anybody who does recommend this approach to dealing with the problem will be banned for encouraging people to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Outside the dole office is my favourite place to complain about illegal parking:p

Cork Boy wrote: »
    source wrote: »

No-one's biting ;)

Parnell St has to be the worst heading towards Wickham St, rule seems to be hazard lights on while I go in to rio's for ten minutes means double parking is ok, my hazards are on sure!

I work around the corner from Parnell street, it's annoying enough but at least the street is wide enough for cars to easily pass the double parked cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

What's with the Blue VW (Golf or Polo) parked on the footpath opposite the "old Dunnes" on Sarsfield St?

It's been there off and on now for the last few days at least and seems to be getting away without getting a parking fine despite being a nuisance to pedestrians.

phog wrote: »
    What's with the Blue VW (Golf or Polo) parked on the footpath opposite the "old Dunnes" on Sarsfield St?

It's been there off and on now for the last few days at least and seems to be getting away without getting a parking fine despite being a nuisance to pedestrians.

That car has been doing that a while now. Its either on the footpath or in from of the hotel there. I have a feeling its someone working in modern man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

wingnut wrote: »
    Limerick is one big Taxi Rank these days!

Totally agree, it's almost impossible at night to to get a place to park, i've lost count the amount of times i gave up and ended going outside town to get a take away. The taxi ranks are next to empty except for the one by debenhams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

very inconsiderate of you to have to pay a few euro for parking for a few minutes parking but you don't care about the people who are in wheelchairs or pushing children in buggy who might have to go out on the roadway cos you are parked on the footpath. It is not "necessary" to illegally park, its just inconsiderate. could you not park legally somewhere else and just walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

In the last 2 years it has never taken me longer than 5minutes to find legal parking in the city centre, any time (day or night) close to my intended destination.

The parking obsession in limerick is weird.

O'Connell/William Street drives me nuts whereby it seems ok to just stop your car, turn on the hazard lights and mosey on up to the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

That car has been doing that a while now. Its either on the footpath or in from of the hotel there. I have a feeling its someone working in modern man.

That's nice for him, a personal parking space in town, why didn't anyone else think of that. :D

I thought it was a worker that was working on the renovation of the lights on the bridge as I only noticed it around the same time as the lights were being removed.

Advertisement