Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To do or not to do

Options
  • 03-10-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just have this idea, not going to say what at present, but for me it seems like a no brainer. At the moment I am in the service industry & the prospects of winter are not looking good so the time to do this is NOW. It involves a bit of tourism while having a retail outlet also. Something I've actually always aspired to. There's nothing like it in the area so that's why I'm thinking it would be good. The only downside is that it's in a small enough village (where other businesses exist mind) with not massive passing trade. The risks are that it just might not work & that my family will suffer (wife + 3 kinder ). My thoughts are also that I couldn't be earning much less than what I am at the minute.

One other thing is that I've to ring property agency back in the morning to see if the other offer has fallen thru. They offered less money

Sorry for lack of details but if this shop comes up do I just go for it. Might I say wife is supportive of the idea also & I've a fair amount of the suppliers sorted. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

The classic, should I go or Should I stay! How about some sort of a halfway house until it proves itself as viable? Work it part time with help from family friends and part time staff and hang on to the day job until you are confident it is a good runner. It may not make any money, or even lose some but you will downside the overall risk while you find out. Clearly you will have a very long day double jobbing, but hey that's what this entrepreneurial thing involves for us all, especially at the start.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

I was thinking that to some degree but I actually don't think it's viable to do unless I hold onto a couple of contracts to do early in de week or something like that. It's tricky as my heart says go go go & another go for luck .....but if the risk could bd halved it would be better

Advertisement