Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial for Old Radio

Options
  • 03-10-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was came across an old radio by the name of Hawk in the attic, would anyone know the type of aerial for it so as I could try and pick one up on ebay. I've attached a photo of the radio and the connection for the aerial. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

you COULD stick in any old bit of wire.

The "wrong" antenna wont do any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The radio has a built in Ferrite Rod aerial

The socket is for using it in a car. Originally a Car Radio needed (in UK anyway) a separate licence. A loop hole was a Portable radio from the house. Bush, Telefunken, Ever Ready etc even had mounting trays for a portable set to slot in and use Car power, car speaker and car aerial. These of course "broke" the intention of the law, but since the Radio could pop out and be used, it would be covered by the home Radio reception licence. Just like a Portable TV today.

A car "screens" the built in ferrite rod. Hence the external aerial socket.

I have quite a few old portables (two using valves) with car aerial sockets. Out side a car there is no value at all.

Note that old style car radio aerials used a special coax that had a coil as the centre wire. This "matches" the short 50cm to 100cm whip for MW & LW. Modern aerials would not work on VHF-FM with such a coax, they use ordinary TV style coax and the modern AM/FM car radios have one (or two) extra coils internally (MW or MW & LW) to "match" the aerial.

Some older car radios had an adjuster for MW and one for LW to match the aerial.

So if the radio isn't working perfect without an external aerial, it's faulty. Those old sets can be quite good.

Try MW after dark.
    LW should have RTE1, R4 and maybe 3 French stations during day. Rotate Radio and use on a window sill for best reception.

You MIGHT get Spirit Radio at low end of MW dial during day, they are at Carrickrow, near NI border. Monaghan or Cavan I forget?

Advertisement