Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question of teachers

• 03-10-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question. If you had a student who had learning difficulties, yOU KNOW that the parents can't afford to get help for there child.

Would you be welling to pay for there help. Lets go back to the early 90's when there was no classroom assistant like there is now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would get the parents to send the child to a school where he/she would be catered for. Why isn't the child being helped in their present school?
    None of the parents of the children I teach have to pay for their child to get help.
    Or did I misunderstand the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

spurious wrote: »
    I would get the parents to send the child to a school where he/she would be catered for. Why isn't the child being helped in their present school?
    None of the parents of the children I teach have to pay for their child to get help.
    Or did I misunderstand the question?

Well sort of. I'm speaking as you been a teacher in the early 90's without classroom assistant like todays age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

What help are you talking about? An SNA is department paid, no parent pays for one.

Help outside of school? what has that got to do with the classroom teacher.

I'm also confused by what you are asking

seavill wrote: »
    What help are you talking about? An SNA is department paid, no parent pays for one.

Help outside of school? what has that got to do with the classroom teacher.

I'm also confused by what you are asking

No help during school time. Lets say reading.

I had a teacher in the early 90's that paid for a remedial teacher for me to come in once a week to help me with my reading etc.

Would teachers do this for students anymore or even when you where teaching in the 90's

How do you know the teacher paid as a matter of interest?

We had a , as they were called at the time, "remedial" teacher shared between our school and a neighbouring school at the same time but they were department paid, maybe the school paid?

I can't see a case where any teacher would pay out of their own pocket for this, schools have budgets, if there was a case in our school today we would approach management to see what can be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I would often give students who are struggling extra lessons on my own free time. No way would I pay for extra lessons, I hardly earn enough to look after my own family, never mind starting to fork out cash like this. As seavill said, I would approach the special educational needs dept. in the school and have the student assessed and let them get help for him/her.

How do you know the teacher paid as a matter of interest?

We had a , as they were called at the time, "remedial" teacher shared between our school and a neighbouring school at the same time but they were department paid, maybe the school paid?

I can't see a case where any teacher would pay out of their own pocket for this, schools have budgets, if there was a case in our school today we would approach management to see what can be done

He told my parents at the time. I also had test done with brothers of charity when I was younger. Even when I was 20 in secondary They came out to the school a few times just to check on me

cena wrote: »
    He told my parents at the time.

I'm not calling him a liar or anything but even in the 90s remedial teachers were sanctioned by the Department and paid by the department for a school and whoever neeeded help was given it.
    Any school I have ever heard of had one or had access to one.

Maybe for some reason your school could not get one, I don't know but it sounds very strange to me I have certainly never heard of it, and have come from a family full of teachers both primary and secondary over the decades

I'm not calling him a liar or anything but even in the 90s remedial teachers were sanctioned by the Department and paid by the department for a school and whoever neeeded help was given it.

Maybe for some reason your school could not get one, I don't know but it sounds very strange to me I have certainly never heard of it, and have come from a family full of teachers both primary and secondary over the decades

She was a teacher from a different school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

She was a teacher from a different school
    A teacher from a different school came into you DURING school time .....and your teacher paid for this ...... Really .....

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    A teacher from a different school came into you DURING school time .....and your teacher paid for this ...... Really .....

I aint lieing unless my parents are

km79 wrote: »

Again I don't want to sound like I am calling someone I don't know, in a situation I know nothing about, a liar but I have just never heard of it before.

As I said before you followed up with more detail I know in the 90s particularly in smaller country school and possibly smaller town schools remedial teachers were shared between schools and would travel between them, one I know covered 3 schools. Their hours would be split obviously but these teachers were definitely department teachers, a lot of them were classroom teachers who chose to do this for a change.

Again I don't want to sound like I am calling someone I don't know, in a situation I know nothing about, a liar but I have just never heard of it before.

As I said before you followed up with more detail I know in the 90s particularly in smaller country school and possibly smaller town schools remedial teachers were shared between schools and would travel between them, one I know covered 3 schools. Their hours would be split obviously but these teachers were definitely department teachers, a lot of them were classroom teachers who chose to do this for a change.

I'm not a teacher so I don't no the ins and outs of these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sorry, I know what you were told, but there's no way a teacher was paying for another teacher to teach you on a one to one basis, regardless of when this happened. It just doesn't happen. Why would one teacher be paying another teacher's wages?

It's most likely that a remedial teacher was shared between schools at the time and you got some of that time.

As I said I was in primary in the 90s also, but I do know how our remedial teacher worked anyway, just speaking from experience there. The remedial teacher travelled between schools as the schools were too small for her to get full hours doing it in one place.

I mentioned it earlier that nowadays anyway myself or any other member of staff would go to the Learning Support coordinator or even principal if we felt there was a issue that needed help. If the student was entitled to help the school would apply for it. if it was still not granted the school would organise within the staff, as it within the current resource supply to get the child help. I would assume it worked the same way back in the 90s but in reality no one will know only the people involved.
    Maybe there was a reason why the teacher had to pay, I have no idea. Maybe older (sorry more experienced) teachers may know about issues that there were at the time.

Can I ask why you are asking this?

He told my parents at the time. I also had test done with brothers of charity when I was younger. Even when I was 20 in secondary They came out to the school a few times just to check on me

This may have been said as 'I'm (meaning 'we, the school') getting in a teacher to help cena with her reading'. It might just have been picked up wrong.

As I said I was in primary in the 90s also, but I do know how our remedial teacher worked anyway, just speaking from experience there. The remedial teacher travelled between schools as the schools were too small for her to get full hours doing it in one place.

I mentioned it earlier that nowadays anyway myself or any other member of staff would go to the Learning Support coordinator or even principal if we felt there was a issue that needed help. If the student was entitled to help the school would apply for it. if it was still not granted the school would organise within the staff, as it within the current resource supply to get the child help. I would assume it worked the same way back in the 90s but in reality no one will know only the people involved.
    Maybe there was a reason why the teacher had to pay, I have no idea. Maybe older (sorry more experienced) teachers may know about issues that there were at the time.

Can I ask why you are asking this?

I just want to see what teachers are like to help there students

This may have been said as 'I'm (meaning 'we, the school') getting in a teacher to help cena with her reading'. It might just have been picked up wrong.

I'm a guy:D

In all reality the majority, if not all teachers will go far and beyond the class time to help their students.
    Whether that is meeting with NEPS, filling out forms to apply for assistance, applying for help from local organisations outside of the school like school completion, st vincent de paul etc. , giving extra time after school, before school, lunch times etc. doing whatever needs to be done.
    Paying for another person to come in out of your own pocket when the department will pay for this is a completely different thing
    and to be honest I personally don't think teachers should be expected to part with their pay to pay another person to do that job.

There is loads of extra help that is given to many students day in day out in every single school however what you are talking about is a completely differnent story.
    I would imagine that as was said already it was a misunderstanding or was taken up the wrong way. More than likely it was the school that paid for it if it was not department paid, and this is what the teacher meant.

In all reality the majority, if not all teachers will go far and beyond the class time to help their students.
    Whether that is meeting with NEPS, filling out forms to apply for assistance, applying for help from local organisations outside of the school like school completion, st vincent de paul etc. , giving extra time after school, before school, lunch times etc. doing whatever needs to be done.
    Paying for another person to come in out of your own pocket when the department will pay for this is a completely different thing
    and to be honest I personally don't think teachers should be expected to part with their pay to pay another person to do that job.

There is loads of extra help that is given to many students day in day out in every single school however what you are talking about is a completely differnent story.
    I would imagine that as was said already it was a misunderstanding or was taken up the wrong way. More than likely it was the school that paid for it if it was not department paid, and this is what the teacher meant.

It was a very small country school. Now closed down.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with seavill. If a student of mine needs help, I'll give them extra time at lunchtime or after school or whatever, or mention it to the deputy principal if he has any spare resource hours that could be given to a student. Or in the case of exam classes, if I know a student finds it hard to get money together to pay for exam papers/won't get it at home, I'll give them one of my old sets as I usually get a free copy and photocopy the previous years paper that might be missing from it and let them keep them.

But I'm not about to start paying the wage of another teacher if a student needs extra help. That is not my duty and the insinuation from your post cena is that perhaps we should be going that far, which we are in no way obliged to. Most teachers will go the extra mile for a student but they shouldn't be expected to finance their education, regardless of their situation.

If you needed a medical procedure, would you expect your doctor to pay for it for you if you didn't have the money?

I'd agree with seavill. If a student of mine needs help, I'll give them extra time at lunchtime or after school or whatever, or mention it to the deputy principal if he has any spare resource hours that could be given to a student. Or in the case of exam classes, if I know a student finds it hard to get money together to pay for exam papers/won't get it at home, I'll give them one of my old sets as I usually get a free copy and photocopy the previous years paper that might be missing from it and let them keep them.

But I'm not about to start paying the wage of another teacher if a student needs extra help. That is not my duty and the insinuation from your post cena is that perhaps we should be going that far, which we are in no way obliged to. Most teachers will go the extra mile for a student but they shouldn't be expected to finance their education, regardless of their situation.

[B]If you needed a medical procedure, would you expect your doctor to pay for it for you if you didn't have the money?

No that not the teachers job. Also it was the headmaster that did this for me the school only had two teachers

I agree it did come across that way a little bit but I'm not sure if that is what cena was trying to say.

Anyway, we all know that within the school, within the class 99.99% of teachers will do everything they can to help the kids.

Like rainbowtrout said we have probably all at some stage, given away our exam papers to the fella that couldnt afford it, given away our pens, pencils, copies, gone and found a jacket in the lost and found for someone, been on a trip and quietly handed one of the kids a few euro to buy lunch when they didnt have any money. All this would be done regularly across the country, most of it on the quiet where the other kids know nothing about it.

To answer your original question, As for paying for another teacher to come in, I would probably to safe to say that this never happens anywhere, the school always has resources and money available to help with books etc. along with the help of SVP etc. Everything will be done wihtin schools to get department sanctioned help for a student that needs it and if that cannot be obtained, every school will find time somewhere or space within a resource class to get extra help if needed.

In relation to your last edit posted while I was typing, if it was the headmaster that actually siad I have paid for X for this student, the I was definitely referring to the school not the individual.

I agree it did come across that way a little bit but I'm not sure if that is what cena was trying to say.

Anyway, we all know that within the school, within the class 99.99% of teachers will do everything they can to help the kids.

Like rainbowtrout said we have probably all at some stage, given away our exam papers to the fella that couldnt afford it, given away our pens, pencils, copies, gone and found a jacket in the lost and found for someone, been on a trip and quietly handed one of the kids a few euro to buy lunch when they didnt have any money. All this would be done regularly across the country, most of it on the quiet where the other kids know nothing about it.

To answer your original question, As for paying for another teacher to come in, I would probably to safe to say that this never happens anywhere, the school always has resources and money available to help with books etc. along with the help of SVP etc. Everything will be done wihtin schools to get department sanctioned help for a student that needs it and if that cannot be obtained, every school will find time somewhere or space within a resource class to get extra help if needed.

In relation to your last edit posted while I was typing, if it was the headmaster that actually siad I have paid for X for this student, the I was definitely referring to the school not the individual.

That could be it. It was very nice of him. He didn't have to do that for me.

Advertisement