Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providence granted drilling licence for Dalkey Island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The RTE article says "Providence granted licence to drill off Dalkey"

It doesn't mention Dalkey Island

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Click link in article you posted

Read article

See location is 6km off Dalkey, not Dalkey Island

Aaaaaand breathe...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0124/dalkey.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

"Tony O'Reilly's Providence Resources has been granted a licence to drill an exploration well off the Dublin coast." (Emphasis added).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok so, best of luck to them with that, hope they get a productive outcome.

No doubt the concerned citizens against the 21st Century will be out asking us to please think of the children, and failing to see the irony of turning up to demonstration meetings in a Range Rover Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm a electronic engineer and very much a member of the 21st century. I'm also a kitesurfer who kitesurfs in both killiney bay and Dublin bay. I also swim off killiney. I'm very much againest it, the ecological risks are to high. Very few countries allow oil drilling so close to the coast.

If it was off finglas or ballymun would you still be so for it. Or is it just the chip on your shoulder about range rover drivers. I drive a van am I allowed object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm a electronic engineer and very much a member of the 21st century. I'm also a kitesurfer who kitesurfs in both killiney bay and Dublin bay. I also swim off killiney. I'm very much againest it, the ecological risks are to high. Very few countries allow oil drilling so close to the coast.

If it was off finglas or ballymun would you still be so for it. Or is it just the chip on your shoulder about range rover drivers. I drive a van am I allowed object.

+1. Just because it's 10km off the coast doesn't mean it won't casue problems. I'm all for development, progression etc but at what price. Like Ted1, i'm a regular sea user around the Scotsmans Bay / Dun Laoghaire Area. Nobody can say it's risk free, it's impossible for a guarantee of this. The lasting ecological effects of an accident would be devestating in so many ways.

Tarring every resident of a particular area who'd object to an offshore drilling project as a Range Rover driver is a bit much. Families, old and young would be affected, and not just excluse to the Dalkey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

From Metro herald

"An Taisce joined local campaigners in attacking a decision to license Providence Resources to test for reserves on the edge of Dublin Bay, visible from Dalkey and some of the country's most exclusive addresses."

Don't understand what that line has anything to do with it

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be supportive of the project. Most of the locals in South Co. Dublin will struggle to notice the installation and would probably point out the Kish instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Im exaggerating to make a point. Already the uninformed clamour has started, whipped up by the media suggesting images of a Southfork gusher up through the martello tower on the island

I do understand legitimate reservations but theres a process in place for this, if theres a decent prospect of viable well out on the bank following the exploration, then a thorough environmental impact process will be gone through before its drilled, that alone will take years. In the meantime the foreshore licence is more than adequate.

I guess the focus of my cynicism is the south Dublin default position, and I say this as a native living elsewhere, the first answer is always no, and the answer to 'what would you like?' is 'whatever youre not offering'

Well if it's visible I fail to see how that is an issue when we are confronted with those ghastly candy-cane Poolbeg chimneys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Having been to one of the many meetings regarding the drill, I completely object to the proposal on the following grounds:

1. If an oil spill does occur, it would be catastrophic for the marine life.
    2. From what I hear, no jobs will be created on this side of the sea (soon to be oil pond).
    3. The drilling process itself involves the use ultrasonic sound waves which causes a host of nasty side effects to marine based life within a wide range of the epicenter and is often lethal.
    4. Providence wont have to pay a dime for any oil leakages which run ashore along the east coast. This will be left up to councils such as Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, Dublin City, South Dublin and Wicklow which could cost billions in a worst case scenario.
    5. The majority of the profits will bypass Ireland because the foreshore license agreement requires less than one percent of the profits to the country licensing it. Effectively, we have given away a resource which could have taken us out of the economic doom and gloom which surrounds us.

To cut a long story short. We are getting the **** end of the stick (literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

While I may not agree with the project, I wonder how long it'll take the professional tree huggers to up sticks from Rossport and head to the east coast?

Well if it's visible I fail to see how that is an issue when we are confronted with those ghastly candy-cane Poolbeg chimneys.
    Visibility has nothing to do with it. People can't put fuel in their car without spilling it. Imagine what Will happen if taking out of the sea bed.

Visibility has nothing to do with it. People can't put fuel in their car without spilling it. Imagine what Will happen if taking out of the sea bed.

People won't get to drive their beloved cars? Big deal.

Nothing gasthly about the ringsend towers, they give the city its charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

While I may not agree with the project, I wonder how long it'll take the professional tree huggers to up sticks from Rossport and head to the east coast?

Jesus, a Dalkey inhabited by Crusties. I think I'd rather an oil spill! :eek:

Nothing gasthly about the ringsend towers, they give the city its charm.

My point about that was in relation to the drilling being claimed as an eyesore. The motivation for such a claim would be hypocritical when that person declares the Poolbeg Chimneys to not be an eyesore. I'm not saying you did btw! And whether they are an eyesore is another issue altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

AltAccount wrote: »
    Jesus, a Dalkey inhabited by Crusties. I think I'd rather an oil spill! :eek:

Crusties. Is that short for crustacean or a slang word or a double meaning for both?

My point about that was in relation to the drilling being claimed as an eyesore. The motivation for such a claim would be hypocritical when that person declares the Poolbeg Chimneys to not be an eyesore. I'm not saying you did btw! And whether they are an eyesore is another issue altogether!

i havn't heard any objections due to the sight of it, everbody i know who has objected to it has being on en eclogical basis.

AnTaisce have objectiosn to: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/state-failed-to-vet-drilling-in-dublin-bay-an-taisce-3250331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Crusties. Is that short for crustacean or a slang word or a double meaning for both?
    Slang word for someone who considers themselves a "hardcore" environmentalist.
    I.E.
    - Has clothes made of hemp
    - is alleged to smoke illegal substances
    - usually vegan
    - will live in a tree to stop it being cut down
    - is staunchly anti capitalist
    - thinks personal hygiene is against nature

• Advertisement
Advertisement