Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

renting dead money

• 03-10-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Would you say its dead money renting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

When you're dead, it doesn't matter either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

How much you paying , for renting dead money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bank interest could also be viewed as dead money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I didn't know money died, nor do I understand why anyone would want to rent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I had a sip of the Milky Way. Turns out I'm galactose intolerant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

You're paying for a service, so no its not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is buying food dead money?

i mean you could buy a farm and live off that, why bother buying food in a super market?

**** you could even live on the farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

cena wrote: »

Yea, but mortgage and property tax are deader money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Depends on when you bought your house, If you bought in boom I'd prefer to be renting.If you can afford to buy a house now I'd prefer to be paying my own mortgage besides the landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Sometimes rent is dead money
    Sometimes rent is not dead money

(inspired by UCDVet's post on the negative equity thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I prefer to buy my dead money outright. That way it's really mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My view is that it comes down to the individual and certain criteria.

- Do you have the money to buy a house? If you do, by renting all you are doing is paying for someone elses mortgage or giving someone income. That is "dead money" by definition. But of course if you dont have the money to get a house. You would be mad to get any lasting mortgage these days knowing you might loose your job.

- Vastly important also is, how much is the place you wanna buy? we've all learned from the mistakes people made with mortgages with the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Back on topic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1546801/

you can probably rent it in your local xtravision, alternatively dvds are quite cheap to purchase these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

is buying food dead money?

i mean you could buy a farm and live off that, why bother buying food in a super market?

**** you could even live on the farm

No need to buy a farm, eat grass and roadkill:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's the price of freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

We should revert back to a cave men lifestyle. Go hunter gathering and live in a cave no expenses then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Now if you were just throwing your money into the bin, that would be dead money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dave1982 wrote: »
    Depends on when you bought your house, If you bought in boom I'd prefer to be renting.If you can afford to buy a house now I'd prefer to be paying my own mortgage besides the landlords.
    But then you're stuck with a house. You have to wait around for 30 years to pay ait off, if you want to move it's a hassle.

Renting, I pay for what I need and when the mood strikes me I find somewhere better suited to my needs.

Owning a house is like being nailed to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ScumLord wrote: »
    But then you're stuck with a house. You have to wait around for 30 years to pay ait off, if you want to move it's a hassle.

Renting, I pay for what I need and when the mood strikes me I find somewhere better suited to my needs.

Exactly :cool:

Ill could never bye a house that some one elses designed to...
    red brick big ball of fvcking cheese...

Im afraid ive got more taste then that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Enjoying working when your in your seventies, your going to have to pay rent. Me I'll own my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Stupid question, but yeah it sure is.

Now go live in a (cave, forest, under a bridege, cardboard box).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dead money for some, miniature american flags for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Money is deadly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ted1 wrote: »
    Enjoying working when your in your seventies, your going to have to pay rent. Me I'll own my house.

No your won't. You'll have to sell it in order to pay for your nursing home care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

What are the levels of home ownership in other European countries in comparison to Ireland?

You know what the fecking problem here is ... rent is too bloody expensive and houses are still too bloody expensive.

I am just looking at houses for sale in my area on daft. €250,000 .... €220,000 .... €175,000. On the rent front, in the same area, €1200 montly, €900 monthly, €1000 monthly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

You know what the fecking problem here is ... rent is too bloody expensive and houses are still too bloody expensive.

I am just looking at houses for sale in my area on daft. €250,000 .... €220,000 .... €175,000. On the rent front, in the same area, €1200 montly, €900 monthly, €1000 monthly :rolleyes:

If houses where much cheaper I would like to look into buying a house. WE had a family home till the parents split

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I wish we had more of a culture of empty renting here; I hate the stuff Landlords ram into places here.

Also, I'd like to be able to do stuff like add a kitchen to the style I like. Hard to do in a renter, perhaps if we had more of a professional landlord system with longer term renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

But, but............you can sell the house.

Or rent it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will you? Or will the bank still own your house?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What are the levels of home ownership in other European countries in comparison to Ireland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

i'm much happier renting, if anything goes wrong in the house the landlord has to fix/replace it. so far in the last two years we had to get a new fridge and new shower and a new roof on the shed and a new washing machine. we didn't have to pay a penny. plus with a 6 month or one year lease we can up sticks and leave if we need to. I can see why people think its dead money but id much rather pay x euros a week rent than struggle to pay off a mortgage thats in negative equity.

If houses where much cheaper I would like to look into buying a house. WE had a family home till the parents split

Bloody rip off.
    My view is that, well in theory anways, that renting is dead money. Its best to own than rent. Its like renting a tv. You buy it, you own it. But you rent you'll never own it and continue to "waste money"

But that just doesnt translate to property.
    First off, you have to pay a mental amount of money to buy the property. Money that most people dont have. So you have to get a mortgage and get ripped off further by the banks. So they give you 200,000 but want 430,000 back in return! ... Spead over 35 years (or whatever)

... So your option is to rent. Problem there is you will get ripped off too with rent. :rolleyes: which makes you think why in the bloody hell should you pay for someones mortgage or income ... then think maybe renting is wasted money. Its like a cycle isnt it?

*edit*
    Scratch that. It isnt a cycle. You're fuc*ed either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wish we had more of a culture of empty renting here; I hate the stuff Landlords ram into places here.

Also, I'd like to be able to do stuff like add a kitchen to the style I like. Hard to do in a renter, perhaps if we had more of a professional landlord system with longer term renting.

hell with that, its expensive enough moving without having to provide your own furniture as well, i'd only buy my own furniture for my own house.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    hell with that, its expensive enough moving without having to provide your own furniture as well, i'd only buy my own furniture for my own house.

The point would be, it would be cheaper unfurnished. If you'd buy furniture for your own house why not for somewhere you're renting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

We spent 28,000 over the last two years on rent while 1,500,000 dropped of the price of the house we're buying..

Bit of a no-brainer really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Its tough moving three young kids every few years especially when they've made friends and when you're renting in Ireland. Is it dead money though?

I suppose its the right tool for the right job at the right time and at other times buying a house is the right tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

I never heard of a tenant ever..ever wanting to put in a kitchen..keeping the cooker clean is usually a challenge..

Squ wrote: »
    We spent 28,000 over the last two years on rent while 1,500,000 dropped of the price of the house we're buying..

Bs, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Whoever is investing in a (probably) €2,000,000 ish house to get €14000 pa in rent needs to have a look in the mirror because they are no business man. If they had sold the house and even lodged the money in the post office they would earn more than that in interest with no hassle.

That assumes they own the house cos if they borrowed to do this they are even more retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Bs, right?

I would think so, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How much will maintainance and interest have cost you? The stock markets have recovered massively compared to property. The 30 year renter may well be plonking down cash at the end of their working life and have a much better pension.

In other news bananas do not grow on trees...

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I never heard of a tenant ever..ever wanting to put in a kitchen..keeping the cooker clean is usually a challenge..

Of course you haven't; that's the point I was making. When renting you can't do that kind of thing. For various reasons, you might be gone very soon so money is wasted, plus you're not benefiting from the capital investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

If you are looking at buying a 4 million euro house how come you are living in a kip for the last 2 years that only costs 1200 a month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

There's a huge gap in the market for unfurnished apartments and houses. An intelligent landlord with a few properties would clean up - also they could be assured their tenants would stay longer and treat the place more like their own home and not a place to trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

jsd1004 wrote: »
    If you are looking at buying a 4 million euro house how come you are living in a kip for the last 2 years that only costs 1200 a month..
    The most expensive properties have been dropping like stones. Something that they were asking 2.5 million for a couple of years ago could easily be on for 1 million now.

By the way, you can get a nice place for 1.2k. Depends on what type of property, and where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1260776

Kip?

This example looks just fine to me.

Why would a €1200 a month rental be a kip?

The most expensive properties have been dropping like stones. Something that they were asking 2.5 million for a couple of years ago could easily be on for 1 million now.

By the way, you can get a nice place for 1.2k. Depends on what type of property, and where it is.

So you are telling us Squ is a millionaire who likes to vist boards.ie in his spare time? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement