Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

renting dead money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

The most expensive properties have been dropping like stones. Something that they were asking 2.5 million for a couple of years ago could easily be on for 1 million now.

By the way, you can get a nice place for 1.2k. Depends on what type of property, and where it is.

Yeah right..you are looking at buying a property for 2,5 -4 mil and you will settle for a rental of 1200 a month for years. It shows the mentality of renting in ireland. Prepared to pay big money to buy but wont if they are renting (because its dead money..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There's a huge gap in the market for unfurnished apartments and houses. An intelligent landlord with a few properties would clean up - also they could be assured their tenants would stay longer and treat the place more like their own home and not a place to trash.

Fully agree, we rented for 7 years in a brand new place that we just caught as the landlord was furnishing, we asked him not to and bought some extra pieces to fill out what we had. He got no break in our tenancy as a result.

Unfurnished long-term rentals are desperately needed. It seems to be growing, I just found 69 on Daft - years ago it would have been 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I wish we had more of a culture of empty renting here; I hate the stuff Landlords ram into places here.

Also, I'd like to be able to do stuff like add a kitchen to the style I like. Hard to do in a renter, perhaps if we had more of a professional landlord system with longer term renting.

I rent a two bed house on half an acre for €450 a month. On the Dublin Bus route, only 45 mins from Dublin airport and 50 mins to Dublin port. Since we moved in I've done up the bathroom, 1 bedroom and we just put in a new kitchen that we designed the layout for. I can put a garden shed up, we threw out most of the furniture that was here and bought our own. Any changes we've done the landlord has paid for. We've been very lucky. My sister and brother rent and neither can hammer so much as a nail into a wall.

There is no way I'd get a mortgage and I can say I would't get a mortgage for where we are for €450 a month. Plus if we decide to move its only a week or two hassle at most. If we can convince the landlord that this place needs a shed for a few cars I could stay here for years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

In my town in the mid-80's you'd pay 14,500 for a decent house and at the time people tought that house prices were far too high. 25 years before that in the early 60's i believe houses were about 2000k a piece, over all this time there has been slumps but houses/land rarely stays down for long. If you're planning on renting long term you will always be paying in line with inflation whereas everyone who has ever taken out a 20+ year morgage in this country has had an easy time making repayments by the time they're half way through the term.

Red21 wrote: »
    In my town in the mid-80's you'd pay 14,500 for a decent house and at the time people tought that house prices were far too high. 25 years before that in the early 60's i believe houses were about 2000k a piece, over all this time there has been slumps but houses/land rarely stays down for long. If you're planning on renting long term you will always be paying in line with inflation whereas everyone who has ever taken out a 20+ year morgage in this country has had an easy time making repayments by the time they're half way through the term.

Both interest rates and inflation have been at pretty low levels in the past 10 years.
    In an overpriced market, renting is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

MadsL wrote: »
    Fully agree, we rented for 7 years in a brand new place that we just caught as the landlord was furnishing, we asked him not to and bought some extra pieces to fill out what we had. He got no break in our tenancy as a result.

Unfurnished long-term rentals are desperately needed. It seems to be growing, I just found 69 on Daft - years ago it would have been 2.

If there is a demand they will be available. I recently unfurnished a house for tenants. I think every landlord would be delighted if they did not have to furnish a house and indeed repair and replace appliances and suffer wear and tear and damage. Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So you are telling us Squ is a millionaire who likes to vist boards.ie in his spare time? :pac:
    ...because millionaires don't use the internet... ;)

Personally I cannot wait to buy or build my own place. More than likely I will buy and apartment first then after a few years build my own house at home to my specs with the rooms I want, furnishings I want etc.

As a general rule now mortgage repayments are less than rent and in some cases much less. The argument that interest is dead money is nonsense as every month you are reducing what you owe the bank and are working towards ownership while renting is are getting nothing but a place to stay for the next month.

Paying rent pains me as much as nearly any other outgoing, while my car loan doesn't in the slightest as I know every month I'm getting a step closer to full owning it.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    If there is a demand they will be available. I recently unfurnished a house for tenants. I think every landlord would be delighted if they did not have to furnish a house and indeed repair and replace appliances and suffer wear and tear and damage. Long may it continue.

I trust landlords are learning more about how important who the tenant is and less about where to buy the cheapest mattress and that we will see less "crying chair" furnishings in future.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crying%20Chair&defid=6758137

• Advertisement

Personally I cannot wait to buy or build my own place. More than likely I will buy and apartment first then after a few years build my own house at home to my specs with the rooms I want, furnishings I want etc.

As a general rule now mortgage repayments are less than rent and in some cases much less. The argument that interest is dead money is nonsense as every month you are reducing what you owe the bank and are working towards ownership while renting is are getting nothing but a place to stay for the next month.
    Yes, but renting is often far, far cheaper. I've trotted out the example here for the last few years that I rented a place in Dublin in the mid 2000s for 1.5k that would have cost 4k per month to buy. The landlord was effectively subsidising me to live there. Of course, now it would cost less to buy, but it's still cheaper to rent the same type of house.

The 'rent is dead money' meme is one that caused untold misery in this country, and you'd think it would f*ck off and die, but no - the hard of thinking are doing their very best to keep it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

eth0 wrote: »
    Yea, but mortgage and property tax are deader money

A mortgage is not a necessity when buying a house.

These threads always have two groups with one argument each, while us in the middle just chuckle at the both of you.

If you bought an apartment in 2007 for €225 you will pay €418k for it.

If you bought the same apartment in 2012 after having rented since 2007 you will pay quite considerably less than half of that for it.

That same apartment can now be bought for €100k and purchased in just 12 years at a cost of €126k+(78k in rent paid since 2007) = €206k

Renting in a falling market saves you money. In other news sky is not blue.

Not a necessity, but it is usual unless you are in a very lucky position.
    These threads always have two groups with one argument each, while us in the middle just chuckle at the both of you.
    What is the middle position? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Is it even possible to buy a reasonably sized, modest house for a small family without taking out a fifty year, 100% mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

...because millionaires don't use the internet... ;)

would millionaires actually use boards? :pac:

• Advertisement

Is it even possible to buy a reasonably sized, modest house for a small family without taking out a fifty year, 100% mortgage?

Yes.

Do you have any special conditions?

Yes.

Do you have any special conditions?

Nah.

Nah.

www.daft.ie

Care to explain the problem?

Depends on your income and where you want to buy.

In other news sky is not blue.

Rayleigh scattering the whore, its a right nuisance in my line of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Is this rite , if I save up 7,000 and want a 70,000 mortagage I would get it off the bank ? No loans at the moment etc..

What way would it work , I take in about 1600 P/M.. Anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Has anyone mentioned property tax yet? (Couldn't be bothered reading all 5 pages of thread) but anyway the people arguing how they'll own their house in their 70's etc are ignoring this very important factor. It is here to stay and more likely only going to rise. And if it goes like the United States and you don't pay up, your house that you "own" will be foreclosed. It's like a long-term permanent rent that never goes away.

So this argument is actually pointless, technically we will all be renting our houses from the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Definitely, I wouldn't want a mortgage of more than 20 years myself though, 25 years tops.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Has anyone mentioned property tax yet? (Couldn't be bothered reading all 5 pages of thread) but anyway the people arguing how they'll own their house in their 70's etc are ignoring this very important factor. It is here to stay and more likely only going to rise. And if it goes like the United States and you don't pay up, your house that you "own" will be foreclosed. It's like a long-term permanent rent that never goes away.

So this argument is actually pointless, technically we will all be renting our houses from the state.

To +1 this, I just bought in the US and my county property taxes are $2500 a year, if I was in the county over they would be over $5k a year.

Coming soon to a banana republic near you....I guess we could write off all the NE if property owners agreed to a 5k a year tax...any takers?

Do you not think the property tax is going to passed on by landlords?

Also you cant compare a fairly small fee every year being paid after a mortgage is paid off to paying full rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

renofan wrote: »
    I rent a two bed house on half an acre for €450 a month. On the Dublin Bus route, only 45 mins from Dublin airport and 50 mins to Dublin port. Since we moved in I've done up the bathroom, 1 bedroom and we just put in a new kitchen that we designed the layout for. I can put a garden shed up, we threw out most of the furniture that was here and bought our own. Any changes we've done the landlord has paid for. We've been very lucky. My sister and brother rent and neither can hammer so much as a nail into a wall.

You're the exception to the rule it seems. You need to find a very good landlord for that.
    jsd1004 wrote: »

The should reduce the rent accordingly too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Would you not get a 110% mortgage and take a holiday or update the car with the extra cash. The interest is dirt cheap, sure you'd be mad not to.

Excellent hunting, sergeant. You'll make detective for this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But, I already am a detective, chief.

Thank you, Inspector, thank you very much.

Now is there anything else I can help you with?

Arse and elbow in the right spots :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

never said it was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

everyone who has ever taken out a 20+ year morgage in this country has had an easy time making repayments by the time they're half way through the term.

What an out of date view. This is certainly not true in today's low inflation environment. To make matters worse, huge amounts of people have lengthened the term of their mortgages and have extended interest only periods which means they'll owe a lot more for a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Not a necessity, but it is usual unless you are in a very lucky position.

I must be in a lucky position so....

Eh no! I was smart not lucky. Now I have enough cash stashed to buy my own gaff after 15 years working, got to travel, live and work all over the world.

Will I be buying, not a notion. The money I make on my savings pays for my yearly rent and all the time property is falling in price.

win, win WIN:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

What an out of date view. This is certainly not true in today's low inflation environment. To make matters worse, huge amounts of people have lengthened the term of their mortgages and have extended interest only periods which means they'll owe a lot more for a lot longer.
    Is there a modern view to have when it comes to long term accomadation? I know many people who bought houses in the mid to late 90s' they now have an easy time making repayments, only time will tell if those who who bought houses in the height of the boom or in recent times will have it easy by the time they're have way through the term of the loan. History is very much on the side of the buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I dont think its dead money, but I do think renting is a bad investment.

Generally a mortgage will be cheaper per month than rent for the same house. By purchasing you would be saving that difference, but then once you are retured you will not have to worry about rent payments and your children will have the value of your house after you are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

books4sale wrote: »

Eh no! I was smart not lucky. Now I have enough cash stashed to buy my own gaff after 15 years working, got to travel, live and work all over the world.

Will I be buying, not a notion. The money I make on my savings pays for my yearly rent and all the time property is falling in price.

win, win WIN:D:D

I bought in June, at the end of the month i'm 210 Euro better off than I was when.I was renting on.a house thats not as good as the one I bought.Also the value of my house has gone up. Win win for me.

On top of this i'm free to decorate it it to my liking and.make any changes I want.

DylanII wrote: »

Generally a mortgage will be cheaper per month than rent for the same house. By purchasing you would be saving that difference, but then once you are retured you will not have to worry about rent payments and your children will have the value of your house after you are gone.

What if I told you you could get a better return on your mortgage payments by investing it elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

ted1 wrote: »
    I bought in June, at the end of the month i'm 210 Euro better off than I was when.I was renting on.a house thats not as good as the one I bought.Also the value of my house has gone up. Win win for me.

On top of this i'm free to decorate it it to my liking and.make any changes I want.

I've still got all my cash in my accounts, am free to head where ever I like on this planet.

THink i'll go to Indo this Winter, cheap to live and I can chill out by the beach for 3 months.

Enjoy paying your prop tax there Ted.

It's win win WIN WIN. :D

Is there a modern view to have when it comes to long term accomadation? I know many people who bought houses in the mid to late 90s' they now have an easy time making repayments, only time will tell if those who who bought houses in the height of the boom or in recent times will have it easy by the time they're have way through the term of the loan. History is very much on the side of the buyer.

I imagine their income is higher than it was in the mid nineties and that interest rates are lower than they were then.

Incomes are falling, inflation is low and I would expect interest rates to rise from current historical lows. 3 good reasons why it wont be "easy" to repay mortgages for many in 10 yrs.

In a normal environment, one could expect their income to rise steadily roughly in line with inflation and the principal to be repaid steadily by those on repayment mortgages and with inflation devaluing further the value of the sum borrowed.

• Advertisement

I've still got all my cash in my accounts, am free to head where ever I like on this planet.

THink i'll go to Indo this Winter, cheap to live and I can chill out by the beach for 3 months.

I could do the same, if I rented out my house it would cover my mortgage, house expenses and accommodation in Info.
    win, Win, Win, Win

Enjoying working when your in your seventies, your going to have to pay rent. Me I'll own my house.

Where are all these working 70 yr olds??

Ever hear of rent allowance/social housing if you have low income?

Where are all these working 70 yr olds??

Ever hear of rent allowance/social housing if you have low income?
    haha, you think our welfare benefits are going to last

Do you not think the property tax is going to passed on by landlords?
    They can only charge what the market will bear - which is what they are doing right now. If renting costs go up, some people will opt to stay living at home or give up their rentals and move home, pool with friends etc. - reducing demand. An empty apartment is useless to a landlord, so they will be forced to reduce prices again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Oh oh.... here we go again :rolleyes: Get the red flags ready.

Do you plan on selling your house?
    If you don't then in reality the value has gone nowhere.

They can only charge what the market will bear - which is what they are doing right now. If renting costs go up, some people will opt to stay living at home or give up their rentals and move home, pool with friends etc. - reducing demand. An empty apartment is useless to a landlord, so they will be forced to reduce prices again.
    yes, adults really want to live their parents.

• Advertisement

Eh no! I was smart not lucky.
    Well, I didn't mean lucky as in 'flukey'...

I was just making the point that not everyone is in negative equity and bought sensible so in my case rent is dead money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Where is Indo?

DylanII wrote: »

Generally a mortgage will be cheaper per month than rent for the same house.
    Generally it won't. I've heard this claimed a few times here - can you provide a few worked examples, even in today's market?

Shhhhh!!! I'm trying to sell him a loan as he now need to "release the equity in his home"

• Advertisement
Advertisement