Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

renting dead money

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cut out the personal abuse and concentrate on the topic, last warning on it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I don't know why you bother Monty. You're wasting your time with this guy.
    Let him off.
    Yes. I honestly didn't expect him to show that 'yield is less significant than capital appreciation' via his amazing 10 year projection. But I thought it was worthwhile asking just to give himself the opportunity to hang himself.
    I have told you what I did. You can't do a projection at all, yet you can come up with what you say is a universal truth.

What do you want, a worked example? Are you still in kindergarten?
    And he doesn't disappoint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I am still waiting to be shown, or even how it can be shown, that yield is more important which is your proposition of universal truth.
    The daft report shows the number of properties to let in Dublin is falling. Rents are rising as would be expected with supply dropping.
    The buyer profile is changing as found in the Lisney report. There are fewer investors buying. Fewer buying means fewer to let as found in the daft report.
    Pro investors are not getting into the market in sufficient numbers to force down rents and offset those investors who are leaving the market.
    The facts are the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Does anyone know how those rent-to-buy schemes worked out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This maybe oversimplifying things, for which i apologise, but I've got a roof over my head and food in the cupboards. I actually don't give a **** if I'm renting or buying. I'm happy, warm, dry and alive. I will eventually die and will probably only be remembered by my direct descendants. If I've done my job right they will not care wether or not I left them a house or not. They will simply remember me for the person I was and the memories they have of me. If you got the dough then buy a house, if you don't - then don't.

(Footnote, Absinthe makes you quite the philosopher and all round spouter of nonsense)
    None of that is nonsense. Probably the most sensible and real post in this thread actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yay for absinthe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

So you are telling us Squ is a millionaire who likes to vist boards.ie in his spare time? :pac:

Ha wait till my wife reads that :)
    Far from it, we just sold up at the right time (late 07) invested the balance in the BOI Evergreen Capital Guaranteed Fund and rented since.
    The two year figure was solely for comparison as it was two years ago I started tracking the price of the house.

We are not investors or anything like it. Hopefully we never sell this house, the kids can do that when we're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yeah same as, ideally Id live and work in co.Galway/Galway city or somewhere nearby but working in Ireland is acceptable so I can head home when I want at weekends etc. I don't head home every weekend (go home maybe 70% of weekends and also spend time off at home) but I love always having the option and all you have to do is hop in the car.

I'm also from Galway and applaud you for wanting to stay at home but I find that I'm the total opposite.
    I was at home for a year after leaving England and now I'm in Canada, I found Ireland such a depressing place so I'm glad I moved here.
    Its good to know that people are still waiting to ride out the storm at home though.
    I suppose one of the good things is that the cost of building a house has dropped a lot in the last couple of years.

Advertisement