Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be in favour of a tracking device for your child?

• 03-10-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

So would you be in favour a gps tracking device for your child/future children which might help prevent or solve cases like the awful one in Wales at the minute?

Maybe have the tracking device installed on a necklace, watch or ankle bracelet that only the parents could unlock. Or even in an item of clothing like shoes or runners but they could be easily removed by an abductor.

I'd be in favour of it but is it feasible or are there any negative aspects to having a gps tracking device on your child?

Would you be in favour of your child wearing a gps tracking device? 261 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 133 votes
    Not Sure
    33% 87 votes
    Don't Care
    15% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Wait, what..I have a child? That's news to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd be in favour of it but is it feasible or are there any negative aspects to having a gps tracking device on your child?

Plenty, if it's running Apples mapping software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Or future children for contrary feckers like you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes, up to a certain age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What next.. microchipping pets?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Yeah I would be.
    But I don't think a necklace or bracelet would work properly, too easy to remove if needed.
    I'd be thinking more along the lines of a microchip under the skin, kinda like one a dog gets.

Yes, up to a certain age.

Up to what age though?

5? 10? 21, so you could check if they are attending their lectures in college?

Yeah I would be.
    But I don't think a necklace or bracelet would work properly, too easy to remove if needed.
    I'd be thinking more along the lines of a microchip under the skin, kinda like one a dog gets.

Told you that would be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

a microchip should be placed inside a childs body when they are born, abductions would be a thing of the past, but then you'll have the bed wetting liberals crying about the rights of paedophiles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

No- I'd be far more inclined to see punishment doled out to those who do abduct and send a clear message to wannabe's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

As long as some pedo doesn't hack into all the kids gps signal , gig giddy gigg gigg gigg

But seriously I don't think it would do much harm, but child abduction is really really rare folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yes I would, I'd even be happy to get one myself just in case I go missing but it would need to be located somewhere that it couldn't be easily removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

No. I think it's a giant overreaction. The chances of you being abducted as a child is miniscule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

If I ever have a kid I wont use a tracking device.

I will just give it a grenade to carry around, if the poop hits the fan, kid pulls the pin and stuffs it in the abductors mouth.

delad wrote: »
    a microchip should be placed inside a childs body when they are born, abductions would be a thing of the past, but then you'll have the bed wetting liberals crying about the rights of paedophiles

Such a pathetic way to try and get your point across.. make a point then do a pre-emptive strike on anyone who might tend to disagree by calling them bed wetting liberals who believe in paedos rights.

Way to go dude. That's the American way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Has this thread appeared on the back of a poor Childs abduction in Wales?

C'Mon guys, bit of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to have a name badge for when I got lost in Arnotts. Prehistoric GPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It is the secret of the dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I bought my child a cheap phone, easiest way to keep track of him on google latitude! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

kids under 12 should wear helmets,knee and elbow pads at all times. when out with their parents they should be attached to a lead.

Ghandee wrote: »

What does that even mean? As far as I can see it's just a generic sentence people churn out in order to seem sensitive and sympathetic.

I highly doubt anyone close to that girl will ever see this thread so I think it's OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

The problem, one among many, is that it would have to be placed somewhere that would be as simple as surgery as possible to remove. And a child molester would have absolutely no qualms about removing it forcibly from someone they abducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Straight outta BrassEye:
    a microchip should be placed inside a childs body when they are born
    no it shouldn't.
    abductions would be a thing of the past, but then you'll have the bed wetting liberals crying about the rights of paedophiles
    no you wouldnt. You shouldn't be allowed use the Internet if you think "liberals" believe paedos have the right to abduct and abuse children.

It's the rights of the babies being chipped I'd be slightly more concerned about...

I think a microchip would be going to far, maybe something more along the lines of an asbo ankle tag but a lot smaller and not so ugly looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

maybe have them wear a full length burka till the age of 15, they are fast enough to run from a grown up by then. the burka will keep everything covered so that pedos wont get excited

I think a microchip would be going to far, maybe something more along the lines of an asbo ankle tag but a lot smaller and not so ugly looking

A bungee rope might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I bought my child a cheap phone, easiest way to keep track of him on google latitude! :D

Google latitude? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I want more than that. Waiting to have kids until the tech from Ender's Game is developed and I can plug a camera into their optic nerves and a neural reader into their cerebral cortex.
    I'll have eyes in the back of their heads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

What does that even mean? As far as I can see it's just a generic sentence people churn out in order to seem sensitive and sympathetic.

I highly doubt anyone close to that girl will ever see this thread so I think it's OK.

Firstly, a poster on this site, on another thread claims to know the family in question fairly well.
    Secondly, you think its ok? Ok then. Seeing as its you and all, i take it back. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No. I think it's a giant overreaction. The chances of you being abducted as a child is miniscule.

But the impact for the people involved is massive....

But the impact for the people involved is massive....

Yeah but I still think it's a rather huge action to take in order to prevent something that's not going to happen anyway.

Firstly, a poster on this site, on another thread claims to know the family in question fairly well.
    Secondly, you think its ok? Ok then. Seeing as its you and all, i take it back. :cool:

Fair enough. I obviously think it's terrible what's happened but I don't think we should stop discussion of a topic on a discussion forum because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

a tracking device for my child. Hmm. I'm considering it, but could you up your offer have you anything else you could offer in exchange as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

But what if pervert mechanics develop some sort of blocking device? Paedo-gedden that's what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

And even if they did see it, where is the lack of respect or where is the offence?

Strange comments alright. Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peil

Nice way to wrap your child up in bubble wrap.
    They'll be completely safe from paedos, and then they get raped when they're adults. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Wattle wrote: »
    But what if pervert mechanics develop some sort of blocking device? Paedo-gedden that's what.

Done!

http://www.jammer4uk.com/car-gps-jammer-c-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

What size do they have gps tracking devices down to now? I'd imagine people would use them for all sorts of things if they were readily available with a long battery life and at a reasonable price.. bags, cars etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

We (my teens and I) agreed to install a tracking code on their smartphone.
    That allow me /us to see instant position and daily tracks.
    They were going out with phone and GPS on and never had any issues.
    They lied few times that battery or coverage or signal,but u shown then the software indicates battery still ok,just they are messing around !

WHY...because some external factors (one of the kids suffered attack with knife and phone stolen,while other just to be on a safe side).

We used the system for a while,nothing serious,just calling and validating their position around in estate.
    After a while,confidence in themselves (age) and trust build between us (they and me) we kind of let that go off and today i have no issues with their where abouts or they been scared to wander around estate.

Overall,i'll do it again with GPS and/or RFID for the little chap that is going missing for hours in the neighbours homes... :)

Mcirochips...i reckon is a little bit too far,at least in my estate !
    Is very important that th ekids are not talking to strangers AND neighborhood is very alert and careful !It happened to me few times to see kids "lost" in shops and've stopped them asking for their mum/dad just to see that somebody said is with me (sometime like i was trying to do something bad).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd be comfortable with it. The CIA, FSB, Irish Secret Service, Google and even Angry ****ing Birds can track my location as I type, I don't see a problem with the same technology being used to protect children.

peil wrote: »
    Nice way to wrap your child up in bubble wrap.
    They'll be completely safe from paedos, and then they get raped when they're adults. Brilliant.

I think its awful the way that protective parents have been demonised on these threads..

If anything this case shows that being cautious about the whereabouts of your children is a good thing. Finding the right balance is the key.

If people think that their locality doesn't harbour people who are a danger to their children then they are very wrong and foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Google latitude? What?

It's basically a feature of google maps that allows you to share your location-

Google Latitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You're best off keeping them in your cellar for 20 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peil

bbam wrote: »
    I think its awful the way that protective parents have been demonised on these threads..

If anything this case shows that being cautious about the whereabouts of your children is a good thing. Finding the right balance is the key.

If people think that their locality doesn't harbour people who are a danger to their children then they are very wrong and foolish.

My parents were extremely protective, as soon as I got a taste of freedom I went out looking for an adventure.

peil wrote: »
    My parents were extremely protective, as soon as I got a taste of freedom I went out looking for an adventure.

Indeed, i said balance is the key..
    Its still prudent to protect children in every way possible including controlling where they go without direct supervision.. Particularly at such young ages.. Its much more difficult to explain to a five year old why they shouldn't get into a car with a stranger, even if they have a puppy or a bag of sweets, their five, they just won't understand what could happen.

I would be much more in favour of making the sex offenders register a public database.. That way people would be aware of the risks in their areas. We are aware of the location of a previous sex offender in our area, that's just one, I'd like to know if there are any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I want more than that. Waiting to have kids until the tech from Ender's Game is developed and I can plug a camera into their optic nerves and a neural reader into their cerebral cortex.
    I'll have eyes in the back of their heads!
    :eek:
    Yeh, cool! Minority Report eyeball-scanning - I want that sh1t too!
    How is this thread disrespectful to the family of that child?
    bbam wrote: »
    How do you know what every locality harbours? As said, it's extremely rare. Concern for child safety is obviously understandable, but maintaining there are paedos lurking all over the place is not rational. How come I didn't need a tracking device? Paedos always existed - if anything, child abuse was more commonplace back in the day - except in homes and schools and other institutions.

Madam_X wrote: »

How do you know what every locality harbours? As said, it's extremely rare. Concern for child safety is obviously understandable, but maintaining there are paedos lurking all over the place is not rational. How come I didn't need a tracking device? Paedos always existed - if anything, child abuse was more commonplace back in the day - except in homes and schools and other institutions.

That's a very innocent view of the world and foolish in my opinion..

I know children in my area who were abused, and not in institutions or by the church.. equally we know we have a convicted sex offender living in our town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Such a pathetic way to try and get your point across.. make a point then do a pre-emptive strike on anyone who might tend to disagree by calling them bed wetting liberals who believe in paedos rights.

Way to go dude. That's the American way.

The lad also seems to have an obsession with "bed wetters"

wonder why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Where To wrote: »
    I'd be comfortable with it. The CIA, FSB, Irish Secret Service, Google and even Angry ****ing Birds can track my location as I type, I don't see a problem with the same technology being used to protect children.

Not that hard to prevent them and the private companies you mentioned use IP geolocation which is shoite unless you agree to share your GPS location with them and I dunno why in the feck you'd want to do that

• Advertisement
Advertisement