Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert HKC SecureWatch to Wireless?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I've a SecureWatch (SW812) in our house wired to several PIRs. We'd like to have the option of setting the alarm at night while we're at home so I'd like to put some magnetic contacts on the downstairs windows and doors.

I rather not have to wire all these up so I was wondering if there's anyway to convert my current setup so I can use wireless contacts on the windows and doors?

Any help or advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

AlanJoyce wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a SecureWatch (SW812) in our house wired to several PIRs. We'd like to have the option of setting the alarm at night while we're at home so I'd like to put some magnetic contacts on the downstairs windows and doors.

I rather not have to wire all these up so I was wondering if there's anyway to convert my current setup so I can use wireless contacts on the windows and doors?

Any help or advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You could add a quick bridge to the alarm and add wirefree devices to the alarm. You would need free zones on the panel to set this up. If you have an 8 zone panel and need extra zones then the better option instead of adding the quick bridge and an expander would be to install a Securewave 10/70. This will allow you use the wired devices plus add wire free devices in an easier fashion. A lot more devices can be added also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Are the PIRs points ? Are they HKC ID beams ? If so you could just add an 868mhz quickbridge to it .

But you would be better off upgrading the panel to the HKC securewave and keep the wired beams and use wireless shock/reed sensors on the windows and doors.
    The securewave uses 2-way sensors where as the quickbridge only uses one-way sensors. There are other panels that can do this too :-)

Didn't see Altors post ..

Didn't see Altors post ..

Great minds think alike..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AlanJoyce

Thank you both for the speedy response and advice. Looks like the SecureWave 10/70 is the way to go. I have 3 doors and 8 windows to secure and I just saw the price of the wireless contacts!! Its not going to be a cheap job!

• Advertisement

Thank you both for the speedy response and advice. Looks like the SecureWave 10/70 is the way to go. I have 3 doors and 8 windows to secure and I just saw the price of the wireless contacts!! Its not going to be a cheap job!

Either way is not going to be cheap but it is the better option in the long run. More devices can be added also, text and voice card as well which can also be used with UPC. There IP panel is also coming out soon..

altor wrote: »

Either way is not going to be cheap but it is the better option in the long run. More devices can be added also, text and voice card as well which can also be used with UPC. There IP panel is also coming out soon..

Excuse my newbieness but what extra options would that give me?

It would work out cheaper than adding a quick bridge and expander. Two way wirefree devices, smokes, inertia/contacts and so on. 70 devices. More flexibility in terms of setting up your system for part set than having just PIRs and doors covered. With PIRs an intruder has to be in the premises to set off the alarm. Self monitoring of the system.

It would work out cheaper than adding a quick bridge and expander. Two way wirefree devices, smokes, inertia/contacts and so on. 70 devices. More flexibility in terms of setting up your system for part set than having just PIRs and doors covered. With PIRs an intruder has to be in the premises to set off the alarm. Self monitoring of the system.

Sorry I meant the new IP panel but thanks for filling me in with all the info. I'll do some research into the SecureWave (although I'm already happy to go with it based on what you've said above) and the coming IP panel.

Sorry I meant the new IP panel but thanks for filling me in with all the info. I'll do some research into the SecureWave (although I'm already happy to go with it based on what you've said above) and the coming IP panel.

The IP panel is to be out soon so I would wait for that if that would suit better.
    You will also have the ability to monitor the system using the IP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The IP panel is to be out soon so I would wait for that if that would suit better.
    You will also have the ability to monitor the system using the IP.

Anyone any news on this ?
    Suppliers haven't heard of it & HKC are not responding to queries.:confused::confused:

Classified info ;) haha

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'll take that as a don't know. If the suppliers and HKC don't know I'd hardly expect the DIYer to.

I'm sure the company that makes it knows :P
    Hahahaha

I don't the idea that the IP will be connecting via HKC servers.
    Sounds to me like this may be a subscription service..:confused::eek:

Just have to wait and see ;)

Just have to wait and see ;)

As usual.
    That could be HKCs slogan.
    Any word on the Wireless keypad and GSM?

As far as I know it is set up on a secure server.
    Cant see this being a subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

KoolKid wrote: »
    As usual.
    That could be HKCs slogan.
    Any word on the Wireless keypad and GSM?

I'm waiting for this new panel from HKC to come out primarily because I want to have network access to the panel. Since I don't have a phone line and gsm modules seem very expensive, I'm hoping there might be away to send alerts via broadband or at least maybe I would be able to disarm/arm it via the internet.

I hope thats what's being added!!

Its a pity HKC do not comment and let us know what features are coming and even an estimate of when they might expect to release something like that.

HKC will not release the product till they have it fully tested. From reports it is not far from release now. The app will be next year but the alarm can still be controlled over any phone with internet access.

• Advertisement

As far as I know it is set up on a secure server.
    Cant see this being a subscription service.

Every Siemens panel uses SSL , https on port 443 . Whats the need for an external server? That goes down & no one has access..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

Thanks Altor,
    Would it be possible for someone in the 'know' to put up a post when it does come out. I assume that the electrical suppliers will try to sell off there old panels before getting in the new ones and would just like to know as soon as the new one is available...

Thanks again.

Every Siemens panel uses SSL , https on port 443 . Whats the need for an external server? That goes down & no one has access..

As I say, I can only relay what I have being told.
    I will get more info on what is happening and how it will work and let everyone know.

selfdiy wrote: »
    Thanks Altor,
    Would it be possible for someone in the 'know' to put up a post when it does come out. I assume that the electrical suppliers will try to sell off there old panels before getting in the new ones and would just like to know as soon as the new one is available...

Thanks again.

Keep an eye here, that is your best option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Siemens have something similar here, http://www.signetsecure.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The secure server is there for systems that don't have a fixed ip. If you have a fixed ip then you can directly connect to the alarm. Apparently HKC will not have the option of a direct connect.

The SPC Secure Portal is simply a free redirect service . Your panel is always the server your connected to.
    likewise you can use DynDNS or any number of other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The secure server is there for systems that don't have a fixed ip. If you have a fixed ip then you can directly connect to the alarm. Apparently HKC will not have the option of a direct connect.
    Never used the portal, always used dyndns. Dont think many do use as it's down quite a bit

With more and more people opting for UPC I'm using it less and less all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jnealon wrote: »
    Never used the portal, always used dyndns. Dont think many do use as it's down quite a bit

Is there a charge for that service these days and is it reliable?

Advertisement