Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How so I change recipe to suit a square tin

Options
  • 03-10-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wo seeing if someone could help me.
    I'm looking to make thus cake below using a square tin instead of the recommended round tin. I've An 8inch sq tin instead of 8 inch round tin.
    Will this work out ok? Do I need to ajust my recipe?

Thanks so much!!
    200.0g good quality dark chocolate , about 60% cocoa solids
    200.0g butter
    1.0 tbsp instant coffee granules
    85.0g self-raising flour
    85.0g plain flour
    1⁄4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    200.0g light muscovado sugar
    200.0g golden caster sugar
    25.0g cocoa powder
    3 medium eggs
    75.0ml buttermilk (5 tbsp)
    grated chocolate or curls, to decorate

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I found this on the BBC Good Food site:
    "As a rule of thumb, a square tin holds about 25% more than a round tin of the same size. If you're using a square tin for a round tin recipe, keep the temperature the same, and turn the cake during baking, as the corners tend to cook faster than the middle.
    Approximate conversions
    Round tin Square tin
    6 inch (15cm) 5 inch (13cm)
    8 inch (20cm) 7 inch (18cm)
    9 inch (23cm) 8 inch (20cm)
    11 inch (28cm) 10 inch (25.5cm)"
    So I'm thinking you'd need to increase your ingredients by 25% or the cake won't be as high as its supposed to be. I'm not sure if you should lower the temperature and bake it for longer - some of the more accomplished bakers in here will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

That is probably good advice, but what are the baking instructions for the cake.
    How long do you bake it for and at what temp ?

The cake will be flatter, so might cook quicker, but it might take the same time for the middle to cook.

I would guess that you should turn the temp down a little and leave it in for the same time and then
    check if it needs longer but this would be different for different recipes.

That looks more like a brownie recipe so it probably stays dense and moist in the middle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I found this on the BBC Good Food site:
    "As a rule of thumb, a square tin holds about 25% more than a round tin of the same size. If you're using a square tin for a round tin recipe, keep the temperature the same, and turn the cake during baking, as the corners tend to cook faster than the middle.
    Approximate conversions
    Round tin Square tin
    6 inch (15cm) 5 inch (13cm)
    8 inch (20cm) 7 inch (18cm)
    9 inch (23cm) 8 inch (20cm)
    11 inch (28cm) 10 inch (25.5cm)"
    So I'm thinking you'd need to increase your ingredients by 25% or the cake won't be as high as its supposed to be. I'm not sure if you should lower the temperature and bake it for longer - some of the more accomplished bakers in here will be able to advise you.
    Thanks a mill for your reply!

huskerdu wrote: »
    That is probably good advice, but what are the baking instructions for the cake.
    How long do you bake it for and at what temp ?

The cake will be flatter, so might cook quicker, but it might take the same time for the middle to cook.

I would guess that you should turn the temp down a little and leave it in for the same time and then
    check if it needs longer but this would be different for different recipes.

That looks more like a brownie recipe so it probably stays dense and moist in the middle anyway.
    You have to cook for about an hour and a half at 140 c . I was describing the texture to a friend saying it was like a muffin so yeah it must be very similar to a brownie.
    Thanks all for your help , much appreciated

The 1 and a 1/4 worked a treat! Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement