Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Nexus 5 Smartphone

• 03-10-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many people are waiting for the forthcoming Nexus 5?

Not officially announced yet, but strong rumours it'll be a HTC Nexus 5 with full HD 5" screen and a 12mp camera.

Due to be launched 5th November. There may well be 5 Nexus devices launched in total, so perhaps a larger Nexus tablet, along with a number of Nexus phones from other manufacturers?

Any other rumours? Can you wait?! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Think its all just speculation at this stage. Would be great if it would happen but I would be surprised if there was a new nexus phone launched this side of christmas.

A 10" nexus tablet though would be awesome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    A 10" nexus tablet though would be awesome ;)
    My sentiment exactly. Let's hope they don't omit a hdmi port this time, it's the main thing that prevents me from buying the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nov 5th you say?
    I was looking into getting a galaxy nexus, but didn't know how long was left in its lifespan (not that it wouldn't be a good phone anyway).
    I'll definitely be waiting for the next nexus to be announced now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I've had my Galaxy Nexus since last Octobar, so a refresh seems due. Its a great phone and still one of the higher end android devices you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This might be of interest: http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/lg-optimus-g-nexus-coming-in-november-along-with-multi-vendor-nexus-phones-r786
    Android and Me' are reporting a rumour that the next official Nexus phone to be released in November will be based on the LG Optimus G and will drop with just a bump release to Android 4.2 (no 5.0 until next year).

And the original story from Android and Me can be found: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news/rumor-nexus-program-to-see-huge-changes-lg-optimus-g-nexus-coming-in-november/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Kinda hope they don't bring out 4.2, 4.1 is only just out afterall and I'd rather wait until next Summer and get a big update. I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was running something like 4.1.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

The rumour I read is 5.3" screen and 13 MP camera.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/04/is-this-a-nexus-lg-htc-samsung-apple-patent-key-lime-pie-5-0-10-7-google-lawsuit-galaxy-click-to-find-out/

The 3 Ghz processor which completely blew me away. I don't think you can pay to much attention to the picture though as it has capacitive buttons instead of the software and the UI is overlayed with Touchwiz. NFC listed 3 times? 2 microSD cards goes against Google's ethos.

The whole thing sounds like a very bad rumour to me which isn't true.
    Nolimits wrote: »
    Kinda hope they don't bring out 4.2, 4.1 is only just out afterall and I'd rather wait until next Summer and get a big update. I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was running something like 4.1.02
    That's a step back on the 4.1.1 I'm running, can't see that happening from a Nexus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Kavrocks wrote: »

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/04/is-this-a-nexus-lg-htc-samsung-apple-patent-key-lime-pie-5-0-10-7-google-lawsuit-galaxy-click-to-find-out/

The 3 Ghz processor which completely blew me away. I don't think you can pay to much attention to the picture though as it has capacitive buttons instead of the software and the UI is overlayed with Touchwiz. NFC listed 3 times? 2 microSD cards goes against Google's ethos.

That's a step back on the 4.1.1 I'm running, can't see that happening from a Nexus.

Click the Source link for proof ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Click the Source link for proof ;)
    Exactly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kavrocks wrote: »

It sounds good but it depends how many cookies come with it. It would want to be at least 10 and preferably maryland brand cookies. If it only comes with 3 or 4 cookies, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A 5.3 inch screen is a bit small for a tablet imo, 7 inch is the sweet spot in terms of smallest size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

jester77 wrote: »
    A 5.3 inch screen is a bit small for a tablet imo, 7 inch is the sweet spot in terms of smallest size.

It's a phone....

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's a phone....

Seriously :confused:

5.3 is way too big to be considered a phone, it's more tablet than phone. 4.8 is already too big and uncomfortable to use with one hand, 5.3 would be impossible. Plus you would need clown pants to hold the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The Galaxy Note is 5.3". More of a hybrid than either, too small to be called a tablet, too big to be called a phone. It was/is pretty popular.

I doubt Google will want their flagship to be such an extreme though. Everything so far is just total rumours, rather than genuine possibilities

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Here we go, anything that falls into 5-7 inch category seems to now have its own category, phablet.

Silly name, but at least it means that anything 5+ won't be considered a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

28064212 wrote: »
    too small to be called a tablet, too big to be called a phone.

'Too much of a boy for crazy town, too crazy for boys town.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It has a gsm chip. Makes calls, sends texts. It's a phone. Just like the note is a phone. A big phone but still a phone

Exactly. A phablet is a phone, just with a screen size 5" plus.

Some people like, some don't. But consider that smartphones in general have been given bigger screens over time. The Galaxy S3 and HTC One are almost 5". Future incarnations may well be phablets (not the HTC One Plus though).

IMHO look back in a few years time and they won't be considered so extremely big any more, but more then norm.

The way I see it, a 5" plus Nexus phablet would be part of that evolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

It sounds good but it depends how many cookies come with it. It would want to be at least 10 and preferably maryland brand cookies. If it only comes with 3 or 4 cookies, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Jaffa cakes ftw.

Also wondering how multuiple nexuses(?) would work!
    Mad if that rumour is true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Modaco confirms that LG will be making a Nexus phone:

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/exclusive-more-details-on-lgs-forthcoming-nexus-r788
    • The device is based on the Optimus G but doesn't look the same
    • Quad Core Snapdragon S4 processor
    • 2GB RAM
    • 1280x768 True-HD IPS screen
    • On screen soft keys (of course)
    • 8 Megapixel Camera
    • No microSD slot
    • 8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
    • Non-removable battery
    • Wireless charging built in
    • The retail name of the device is yet to be decided.

I would say you can take this to the bank, Modaco are super-reliable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dulpit wrote: »
    Modaco confirms that LG will be making a Nexus phone:

http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/exclusive-more-details-on-lgs-forthcoming-nexus-r788

I would say you can take this to the bank, Modaco are super-reliable...

What's with google and no SD card slot?

It must cut down costs alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

No storage for music,files etc in the hope you'll use their online services such as music,drive etc. I'd say. The cost of Microsd would be small enough I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lack of FM radio on nexus devices is one of my pet peeves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Moving everything to the cloud.

Not sure I'd be happy to buy an LG Nexus smart phone, I have used LG Android devices and they're poor at best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Non-removable battery

Dam, there's one argument we've lost now!
    Ste- wrote: »
    No storage for music,files etc in the hope you'll use their online services such as music,drive etc. I'd say. The cost of Microsd would be small enough I'd imagine.

I don't see the point in it for a consumer on a phone. For me, as well as paying for a cloud service with extra space that'd be in an SD card, there's extra bandwidth fees associated with it as you cant expect WiFi to be avail everywhere.

Lack of FM radio on nexus devices is one of my pet peeves.

Did you ever try Spirit FM app?
    Also cyanogenmod ROMS should provide FM radio support... as long as the phones chipset has an FM receiver on board..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

draffodx wrote: »
    Not sure I'd be happy to buy an LG Nexus smart phone, I have used LG Android devices and they're poor at best.

Very much this. Having spent over 7 years working with handsets from all manufacturers, I would seriously question this move. I'm sure Google will ensure some rigorous reliability tests are undertaken but I honsetly don't think I could ever buy handset made by LG.

So we potentially have two forthcoming Nexus devices from HTC and LG. What about Samsung and Sony? And who else could make #5 if they're releasing 5 Nexus phones? Or perhaps one will be a 10" Nexus tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to say I'm still quite perplexed that Motorola haven't gotten the nexus brand fully at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I have to say I'm still quite perplexed that Motorola haven't gotten the nexus brand fully at this stage
    Not that surprising for two reasons:
    • Motorola was in dire need of an overhaul, and it's still ongoing
    • The second Motorola get it, Samsung, HTC and every other Android partner will scream bloody murder. Google can't alienate these
    Also, it's possible Google have no intention of ever giving it to Motorola, and solely bought them for their very large patent library

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bought for their patent library, nothing else.

Dam, there's one argument we've lost now!

I don't see the point in it for a consumer on a phone. For me, as well as paying for a cloud service with extra space that'd be in an SD card, there's extra bandwidth fees associated with it as you cant expect WiFi to be avail everywhere.

I used to have this issue as I have over 32GB of music, so really only a 64GB suited me. But now I have a spotify sub which eliminates this issue, I can download the albums that I am listening to a lot and then stream whatever else might take my fancy.

I'd still rather have at least 32Gb though, the Korean version of this handset comes with 32Gb.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If the following is true I can't see myself getting one of them. I love storing movies and tv shows for watching on the go, and 16gb is tight at best for that, and cloud storage is well and good if you have a great data package you can access everywhere, which most people don't.

No microSD slot
    8GB and 16GB versions only (at least initially)
    Non-removable battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

28064212 wrote: »
    Also, it's possible Google have no intention of ever giving it to Motorola, and solely bought them for their very large patent library

I reckon the same. One of the lads was saying that Motorola's gigantic patent book has an awful lot of ****e in it. Bonuses were linked to number of patents awarded and therefore there's all sort of rubbish in there - some even relating to toasters!

Looks like all will be announced on October 29th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

32GB Nexus 7 and price drop for the 16GB anyway at that event I'd imagine. Have to stay competitive with the iPad Mini and Surface just around the corner. This Xmas market will be super important with all those PLUS Amazon all competing for the same market share (not Surface at that price point though)

Advertisement