Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed 4th year

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    I am Computer science student in DIT. I failed my fyp as well as some other modules. I am wondering - will I be able to repeat some of them externally?
    Can I repeat fyp externally!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

BezImeni wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am Computer science student in DIT. I failed my fyp as well as some other modules. I am wondering - will I be able to repeat some of them externally?
    Can I repeat fyp externally!?

You could probably repeat the modules externally but I highly doubt you could repeat the FYP externally. Meeting with supervisors every week is pretty much a requirement. You could skip the meetings, sure, but it would probably have a negative impact on your final grade as even if you don't complete your project as you had intended, your supervisor has proof that you've at least tried and they are ultimately the person who grades your project.

If it's purely a money thing then again, I don't think you have any way to avoid the fee. The fee is €60 per credit iirc and the FYP is worth 20 credits (again iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BezImeni

grimm2005 wrote: »
    You could probably repeat the modules externally but I highly doubt you could repeat the FYP externally. Meeting with supervisors every week is pretty much a requirement. You could skip the meetings, sure, but it would probably have a negative impact on your final grade as even if you don't complete your project as you had intended, your supervisor has proof that you've at least tried and they are ultimately the person who grades your project.

If it's purely a money thing then again, I don't think you have any way to avoid the fee. The fee is €60 per credit iirc and the FYP is worth 20 credits (again iirc).

Thanks for the reply, thats actually what I thought - and yes it is a money thing...
    I also found this http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html
    Under 5 it says:
    "Tuition fees will also not be paid in respect of students undertaking a repeat year of study at the same year level. In this regard, this condition may be waived where evidence of exceptional circumstances, such as cases of certified serious illness, is provided."

The thing is my attendance was very low especially in second semester because I had faced many problems, I explained what the story is - filled the form and they told me I can repeat without prejudice. I would not know the way it works, but would that mean I can avoid fees for repeating? (although I dont think so...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

How did you manage to fail your FYP?

The only person I've ever known to fail there FYP in the last few years was someone who plagiarized the whole thing.

Did your supervisor not tell you to up your game or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

BezImeni wrote: »
    The thing is my attendance was very low especially in second semester because I had faced many problems, I explained what the story is - filled the form and they told me I can repeat without prejudice. I would not know the way it works, but would that mean I can avoid fees for repeating? (although I dont think so...)

I'd be doubtful you could escape paying the fees tbh. You may be able to get some assistance from the college, i.e. pay your fees in installments. You should definitely contact your year head or head of school and find out if you can repeat externally. Considering all you will need to do is meet your supervisor once a week, and if you have a good reason for failing it first time around, they may be able to work something out. Tell them your situation and that you don't think you can afford the fees and you're faced with throwing away 4 years of study based on a bad semester and they might throw you a bone or find out an easier way to be able to do the project.

Advertisement