Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oven and hob

Options
  • 04-10-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I have a new oven /hob and wondering
    if the main supply (thicker) cable goes to hob first and the thinner cable supplied goes from hob to oven ?
    or
    thicker cable to oven and thinner oven to hob ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they're wired separately
    you don't daisy-chain them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

What's the correct thing to do when you have only one wall switch with one cable leading to the hob/oven space? Do you fit a junction box there and split the cable to the 2 appliances?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Hi,
    I've a similar question, we have an cooker that is without an extractor fan. I bought one and mounted it, can I wire the fan to the switch that the cooker is currently wired too or put a 13amp plug on it the the extractor fan and plug into a nearby socket?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dp639 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've a similar question, we have an cooker that is without an extractor fan. I bought one and mounted it, can I wire the fan to the switch that the cooker is currently wired too or put a 13amp plug on it the the extractor fan and plug into a nearby socket?

Thanks!

connect it to a nearby socket on a plugtop or a switched fused spur outlet

LLU wrote: »
    What's the correct thing to do when you have only one wall switch with one cable leading to the hob/oven space? Do you fit a junction box there and split the cable to the 2 appliances?

i would prefer to connect 2 leads directly into the cooker switch
    however this is not always possible so a junction box capable of taking 3 x 6mm twin and earth cables should be used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

M cebee wrote: »
    they're wired separately
    you don't daisy-chain them

what's the issue, i'm replacing a free standing cooker with a seperate hob and oven. do i need to keep the hob on the 32a circuit and run the oven off a 20A.

I had planned to just link the oven off the hob.

ted1 wrote: »
    what's the issue, i'm replacing a free standing cooker with a seperate hob and oven. do i need to keep the hob on the 32a circuit and run the oven off a 20A.

I had planned to just link the oven off the hob.

they are both connected to the cooker circuit

what mcebee means is that its not best practice to loop one connection off the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would STRONGLY advise against daisy-chaining them as the terminals on most ovens and hobs are tiny. You wouldn't be able to make a safe connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

meercat wrote: »
    connect it to a nearby socket on a plugtop or a switched fused spur outlet

What is wrong with wiring both the fan and oven into the same fused switched instead - just like you recommended to the other poster?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Robbie71

Thanks for replies,

I tried two wholesalers for a 45/60amp junction box but could not find any.
    Is it ok to use 60amp connectors .
    the cable/wire that came with oven is only about 1.5mm so I can fit the supply 6mm cable on one side of connector and both the 6mm to the hob and supplied 1.5mm cable to oven on the other side of connector,

is this an option? if not , please suggest others

• Advertisement

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies,

I tried two wholesalers for a 45/60amp junction box but could not find any.
    Is it ok to use 60amp connectors .
    the cable/wire that came with oven is only about 1.5mm so I can fit the supply 6mm cable on one side of connector and both the 6mm to the hob and supplied 1.5mm cable to oven on the other side of connector,

is this an option? if not , please suggest others

most wholesalers should have a cooker terminal outlet box

or try online
    http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate

Advertisement