Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever queue up outside a shop for the release of a new product

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Being passionate about live music is hardly sad or uncommon.

I totally agree but I was getting at the part where 'you'll do anything to see them'

Thats not passion its obsession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Well maybe, but a lot of bands don't play in Ireland for years at a time. I often go to the UK to see bands, and that means giving up proper holidays etc. If people are really into a band, they'll make sacrifices, but queuing early for tickets is hardly a big one!

6th and 7th Harry Potter books, though with the 6th one I got bored after five minutes, abandoned the queue and bought it the next morning. Queued with my ex outside Easons in Dun Laoghaire in the pouring rain for the 7th, we got egged and all, but there was a really good vibe in the queue and he had a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I queued for tickets in the days before ticketmaster and the internet, but not since.

I wouldn't queue for something I can get a few days later (a phone! FFS), and if faced with a queue in a shop and buying non-essentials (new sweater, eg) will leave the item and not join the queue.

I do not love Penneys so much I want to stand there doing nothing for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

eth0 wrote: »
    Like a book, an iPhone or a new version of Windows? Never done so myself couldn't get excited over these kind of things. The price of the kind of thing people queue up for tends to drop fairly fast anyway

If by shop you mean Pub and By product you mean Beer, then Yep all the time

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Queued for the iPhone 4S when it was launched, but only because I was passing the Meteor shop on my way to work and was only actually in the queue (of four people) for 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

uch wrote: »
    If by shop you mean Pub and By product you mean Beer, then Yep all the time

Assuming you're in Ireland;If you're actually queueing for beer you're doing it all wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

REM tickets.......Slane....1995

There was no online purchasing done in my house at that stage!!

Met a friend in the queue and we went and had a mcdonalds coffee afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Things i queued for:

Mask toys
    Cabbage patch kids
    star wars millennium falcon
    lidl warehouse sale
    ps1 & 2, xbox 360
    iphone1

and lots lots more that i cant remember off the top me head..

I dont mind a bit a queuing me as long as i can get my retail on! I think its more of an american thing anyway. Id say all the people who says it sad just dont have the money to buy the product on release day anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I remember queuing for two hours in the rain until midnight for tickets for The Phantom Menace. Not even queuing to see the film. Queueing to buy tickets which I could have got the next day.

Nothing about that worked out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Only time I've queued in a shop was ticketmaster on the morning tickets were on sale.

Longest I've ever queued was 7 hours each at 2 Springsteen gigs two days in a row. Worth every minute of it. Wouldn't do it for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Kolido wrote: »
    This is the sad part.

Not understanding passion for music is rather sad Imo. Obviously I don't literally mean "Anythig", I contextually meant queuing up for concert tickets for a few hours.

And somebody said queuing up for stuff means you have an empty,pathetic and shallow life, thats a bit far in fairness. Its sad(in most cases) but it doesnt reflect on your life in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

eth0 wrote: »
    Like a book, an iPhone or a new version of Windows? Never done so myself couldn't get excited over these kind of things. The price of the kind of thing people queue up for tends to drop fairly fast anyway

I think those people need to get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I usually wait until I can download it via bittorrent. It's how I got my new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Spice girls dolls, but it was only for about an hour before the shop opened :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Tickets for REM in 1995.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Half-Life 2 - Gordon Freeman's return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

When it comes to items (not tickets for big concerts that will sell out quickly) is the rationale behind it to have the thing first or be one of the first? Not something that ultimately matters really - apart from being able to tell people. But you're not 14 forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Madam_X wrote: »
    Is the rationale behind it to have the thing first or be one of the first? Not something that ultimately matters really - apart from being able to tell people. But you're not 14 forever.

'Spose some stuff like game consoles etc sell out. There was a big run on the Nintendo Wii there a few years ago and a lot of people had very sad Christmases because they couldnt get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The only (limited number) thing I can remember queuing for was for entry to recordings for QI. Was worth it definitely.

The waiting I mean, tickets were free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Thinly veiled we have FIFA thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Been close to doing it a few times but never was actually arsed to do it in the end and basically just picked up the game/book/device the next morning without the effort of standing in a queue for hours on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

TheStook wrote: »
    Not understanding passion for music is rather sad Imo. Obviously I don't literally mean "Anythig", I contextually meant queuing up for concert tickets for a few hours.

And somebody said queuing up for stuff means you have an empty,pathetic and shallow life, thats a bit far in fairness. Its sad(in most cases) but it doesnt reflect on your life in anyway.

Just to clarify, yes I did take your post literally and yes there are people who will do pretty much anything to see their favourite celebs.
    I'm not saying people who que for concert/sports tickets are sad but I think queing out all night is taking your passion a bit too far.
    I'm passionate abour many things but nothing enough to do this.

Without patronising anyone, I think when your younger its more acceptable to let your passions run wild but as you get older your priorites change and you may view it differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the last Call Of Duty game, mostly because its good craic to chat to people in the queue, you're all there for the same reason, and they had free pizza, and that always helps. I worked in Smyths Toys years and years back the time the Pokemon craze first started, parents queuing overnight to buy the Gameboy games and toys, was mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Kolido wrote: »
    Just to clarify, yes I did take your post literally and yes there are people who will do pretty much anything to see their favourite celebs.
    I'm not saying people who que for concert/sports tickets are sad but I think queing out all night is taking your passion a bit too far.
    I'm passionate abour many things but nothing enough to do this.

Without patronising anyone, I think when your younger its more acceptable to let your passions run wild but as you get older your priorites change and you may view it differently.

Or when you're younger you have more time to enjoy the things you're most passionate about.

But yeah I get your point, a lot of people take it a wee bit too far indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

TheStook wrote: »
    A man of few words is Youssef.

How is queuing up for tickets for a concert sad? If you really like a band you'll do anything to see them, queuing up for a few hours is a small price to pay.

I predict you're reply will be- "Its not a small price to pay."
    Because they could sell out quickly. It was understandable for people to do that pre online days re anything that could sell out quickly, and in the case of toys etc at Christmas. But just doing it for the sake of it when there's no danger of anything being sold out... is pretty questionable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Yeah for the happy potter book,got down there was loads! And for a book signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

yep, queued up for the last Harry Potter book's midnight release. I queued in Liffey Valley so I was nice and warm, they gave out sweets and goody bags and I got my copy for free because I was one of the first 10 in line. It was a really fun night!

They showed the idiots on O'Connell St. out in the rain that night, i'd never queue in the rain for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

phasers wrote: »
    yep, queued up for the last Harry Potter book's midnight release. I queued in Liffey Valley so I was nice and warm, they gave out sweets and goody bags and I got my copy for free because I was one of the first 10 in line. It was a really fun night!

They showed the idiots on O'Connell St. out in the rain that night, i'd never queue in the rain for anything.

Go you!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Oh jesus, I've queued for a lot.
    -Harry Potter 5, 6, 7
    -Concert Tickets (Justin Bieber, Paramore, Green Day, Miley Cyus)
    -Get a wristband to meet Paramore
    -Outside the Academy for bands...I must have spent the guts of a week outside that place.

I excuse all of this by saying that I am a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Queued up for this bag outside Brown Thomas about 5 years ago. It was the must-have bag at the time. It cost €12 in the shop but they were selling on ebay, etc for a few hundred euro. There were riots in Japan when they went on sale there.

The funny thing is, I never really used it 'cause I didn't want people recognising it and knowing I must've queued for it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

iDave wrote: »
    Got talking to an Aussie on holiday earlier this year who runs a shopping centre down there. When one of the Apple phones was being released down there, there were the usual queues outside the Apple store. When he asked one of them why dont they just buy it in one of the other elecronics stores that didnt have a queue the response was 'no I want to buy it directly from Apple'.
    Dear god!

I think there was nothing funnier than people moning about the glitches in the latest iPhone. You ran out and spent a fortune on a product without having seen any reviews of it the second it is released, and now you want to moan because it is not perfect?

Idiots of that level do not even deserve a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

you would want to pretty sad. I would't want to go into work tired earning 80k a year at 22 for some sort of device or game. Maybe if the new Lamborghini was out showing in Dublin maybe. 10 year finance option though. I have enough money, could afford it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I queued outside LIDL one morning waiting for it to open so I could buy a cheap tv! They had like 3 there and I got the first, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Queued for about two hours before when I was about 10 to meet Ian Rush and take a penalty kick.

Longest waste of time ever.

Advertisement