Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffy B leaves Epic games

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Good riddance, what a twit. Sick of looking at his bleached teeth while he talks ****. Hopefully Epic can grow more creatively now. Hopefully this is the last we've seen of GoW proportioned characters too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no loss

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get the hate for Cliffy B. He was outspoken but I felt he was always right in what he said and didn't dance around the subject. He offended some people but only because he said what they didn't want to hear. Seemed like a clever guy that didn't pander to the media like other developers. He will be missed at Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its because hes a bit of a dickhead really

im all for outspoken people and people who stick to their opinions, but there`s that, and there`s being a bit of a dickhead. the latter will make people not like you

i dont recall ever hearing someone mention him without using the word "dickhead" in the sentence, come to think of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The mans job was to make good games which he was quite good at going by his track record. What's he ever done that that's made him a dickhead? The way I see it is someone that just doesn't take crap from the media and fans with entitlement issues and isn't afraid to tell them what he thinks of them. Fair play to him I say.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    its because hes a bit of a dickhead really

im all for outspoken people and people who stick to their opinions, but there`s that, and there`s being a bit of a dickhead. the latter will make people not like you

i dont recall ever hearing someone mention him without using the word "dickhead" in the sentence, come to think of it

Completely agree, he is a knob. Half of the making of for the first GoW was about how he was dating a barely legal chick who then dumped him ffs...

• Because you all know him on such a personal level....:rolleyes:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Because you all know him on such a personal level....:rolleyes:

Uh...yeah? He's far more in the spotlight than other developers. Far far FAR more. Sure if we didn't... we wouldn't know anything about him and therefore would have no opinion? Also, there wouldn't even be a thread about him even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The level of bile about the guy is just mental. Not sure if it's PC gamers projecting their anger over Epic's move away from PC gaming to console or whatever. All that really matters to me is that he was the main creative driving force behind a great series in Gears of War.

The level of bile about the guy is just mental. Not sure if it's PC gamers projecting their anger over Epic's move away from PC gaming to console or whatever. All that really matters to me is that he was the main creative driving force behind a great series in Gears of War.

I lulz when people claim it's cause he's rich and famous or because Epic moved away from PC. I couldn't give a s*** about that cause I don't want to play bro-games anyway, and let's face it, a lot of rich people with ferraris in this world are jerks in general. Usually it's that attribute that helped them get famous.

It's just cause he is a knob. If someone in your work/college course/wherever was hated by everyone for being a knob, that's it. There's probably no hidden agenda going on. It's just cause he is a knob.

• Advertisement

So to sum up your argument; "Lulz, bro-games, rich people suck, lalalalalalala he's a knob."

Convincing and eloquent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bleszinski has been with Epic since the very beginning and is as synonymous with Epic Games design-wise as Tim Sweeney is tech-wise. This idea that his entire contribution to games and/or Epic was the Gears of War franchise is about as ignorant as the people writing him off entirely for being a bit of a douche on occasion.

Don't forget Jazz Jackrabbit.

I think people are just jealous that the guy has a great job in the games industry yet still retains his ruggish charms and good looks. :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't forget Jazz Jackrabbit.

I think people are just jealous that the guy has a great job in the games industry yet still retains his ruggish charms and good looks. :P
    Pfft, I was talking about Jazz Jackrabbit. ;)

And you know, Unreal and Unreal Tournament...

Also, have you seen his missus?

So to sum up your argument; "Lulz, bro-games, rich people suck, lalalalalalala he's a knob."

Convincing and eloquent.

Reported for being a massive troll. I have already stated reasons why he is a knob.

And Retro, as I already stated, no, en masse people do not have a problem with him because 'they are jealous'. I wouldn't want to be anything like him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, if you were to never play games by people who had a tendency to be outspoken and obnoxious from time to time, you'd miss out on games from everyone from Jeff Minter to Tomonobu Itagaki. Let the games speak for themselves.

Even if Cliffy B will forever be associated with Gears of War by many, I don't think its a bad legacy. Have always been quite fond of the series, since it gets its basic gameplay better than 95% of its peers. Would go as far as to say it achieves what IMO Halo always failed to: making the same ten seconds of gameplay consistently interesting and exciting.

outspoken and obnoxious

If people could only make the difference between 'outspoken' and 'obnoxious' it would be very clear which one 'Cliffy' 'B' is.

I mean, he even gave himself that name FFS.

Andy!! wrote: »
    If people could only make the difference between 'outspoken' and 'obnoxious' it would be very clear which one 'Cliffy' 'B' is.

I mean, he even gave himself that name FFS.
    No, he didn't.

And you haven't actually said why you think he's a knob, only that he is one because he acts like one and some vague gripe about the contents of a Making Of featurette.

Reported for being a massive troll. I have already stated reasons why he is a knob.

Hahaha. So to recap your reasons were; (1) he has white teeth, (2) you didn't like the Gears of War Character design, (3) he's in the press what you consider to be too much and (4) he once went out with a girl younger than him and mentioned it in some obscure bonus feature.

I honestly find your hatred towards the guy based on that disturbing and slightly unsettling. He's a guy who makes some great videogames and is good in dealing with the media. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as how it will affect Epic, I don't think it'll make a major impact and it's a good time for him to make the move. Ahead of the move to the next generation and next Unreal engine there's room for a new direction at Epic. Their headline series Gears of Wars has ran through its trilogy and the batton of the series appears to have been passed on with People Can Fly working on the prequel.

I don't reeaaallly recall saying I hated him... can you find the quote for me on that? Or stop putting words in my mouth, whichever one you prefer.

I think he's a twat because he's the game industries version of this;

Guido.jpg

Personally I find people who have no problem with this far more disturbing. Some people just have hard-ons for succesful people I suppose? Wanna be like 'em or summat? Personally I'm content with my level of success.

But again I don't dislike him because he is famous, fair play to people who get that if that's what they want. I dislike him cause he's a Guido twat who is obsessed with his self image and pontificates all day, and he's allowed this because people allow it and listen, and stroke his ego by doing so.

I mean it's not like I dislike people like Notch, Tim Schafer, Mike Capps etc. They're famous. They make awesome games. They can be outspoken (again,completely different to being obnoxious). Subtract the difference between them and Guido Boy, and you got the reason why people dislike 'Cliffy B' (seriously I think one of the Jersey Shore boyos have the same name).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah sad to see him leave Epic. He was the left arm of that company. Just how involved was he in the development of the original Unreal engine? Solely based on the fun I had with Unreal Tournament, I would wash Clifford's feet. Jesus style.

Please don't waste my time next time. The report button is for genuine trolls not for when someone disagrees with you.

I really don't get your reasons for hating him. You'd swear you know the guy personally and he has affected your life negatively in some way. There's people in the industry far more deserving of the hate and bile and have actually made the world a worse place than some one that likes to speak his mind. Koichi Sugiyama for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Sugiyama#As_a_Japanese_nationalist

And yet you still fail to give a genuine moment from the man that makes him a 'guido twat', all you did was be racist, well done.

But again I don't dislike him because he is famous, fair play to people who get that if that's what they want. I dislike him cause he's a Guido twat who is obsessed with his self image and pontificates all day, and he's allowed this because people allow it and listen, and stroke his ego by doing so.

I mean it's not like I dislike people like Notch, Tim Schafer, Mike Capps etc. They're famous. They make awesome games. They can be outspoken (again,completely different to being obnoxious). Subtract the difference between them and Guido Boy, and you got the reason why people dislike 'Cliffy B' (seriously I think one of the Jersey Shore boyos have the same name).
    Do you even know what a Guido is? Not only is he not Italian in any way but he also doesn't have the super slicked hair, fake tan or overly muscular body which is synonymous with the stereotype.

He's got shiny white teeth though, the bastard.

Also Mike Capps? Seriously? Not only is he an executive who has never made a game in his life but he's also been actually damaging to the industry, previously stating that 60hrs a week was standard practice for employees in Epic and that he wouldn't hire a person who isn't willing to work those kind of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Andy!! wrote:
    [...]
    [words of no worth]
    [image relating to nothing]
    [...]
    Reported for underage trolling.

Grow up & come back when you're legally allowed to play Gears of War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ladies, put your man-handbags away, this starts to look silly. Your make up will be all over your handbags and destroy the inside fabric.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Please don't waste my time next time. The report button is for genuine trolls not for when someone disagrees with you.

I didnt report anyone for a differing opinion, I reported a troll who was being dismissive and offensive because I have a different opinion. Exactly the same as K.O. did on the next page. Which he wouldnt have done if he thought you were in the least bit capable. Do your damn job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ladies, put your man-handbags away, this starts to look silly. Your make up will be all over your handbags and destroy the inside fabric.

Sounds like the words of one who is experienced in such matters. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I didnt report anyone for a differing opinion, I reported a troll who was being dismissive and offensive because I have a different opinion. Exactly the same as K.O. did on the next page. Which he wouldnt have done if he thought you were in the least bit capable. Do your damn job.

Joker-sarcastic-clap1.gif

The other moderators and category mods saw it and didn't act on it, take from that what you will.

• Advertisement

They're called manbags ShadowHearth, jesus... :pac:

Advertisement