Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best beer cities in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Because the stuff from the microbrewerys is rank imo and a lot of people would agree with me. I would rather stay at home than drink the beer from the Franciscan well. Bad enough you cant get Guinness or Smithwicks but you cant even get a bottle of Corona or bud or something to tide you over in the place if you have to go there for some reason.

I know stronger flavoured beers aren't to everyone's taste but if you give some craft / speciality beers a chance you might open up to them. Many of those type of beers are more sipping beers rather than swallowing beers and sometimes best enjoyed with a little food.

My first introduction to 'proper' beer was when I worked in Germany in the 90's. Then a few years later I spent two years in Belgium. I just can't drink mainstream beers now bar Guinness. IMO once you get the taste for them you'll find it hard to go back and wonder how you ever drank the ditch water you're drinking now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Because the stuff from the microbrewerys is rank imo

Are you actually saying everything brewed by micros is crap? Everything?

As stupid as saying everything brewed by macros is crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Because the stuff from the microbrewerys is rank imo

in fairness, almost ecerything brewed by macros is crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No mention of Kölsch specifically named after Cologne??

Is there any other type of beer named after its locality/city??

tricky D wrote: »

pilsner?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know stronger flavoured beers aren't to everyone's taste but if you give some craft / speciality beers a chance you might open up to them. Many of those type of beers are more sipping beers rather than swallowing beers and sometimes best enjoyed with a little food.

My first introduction to 'proper' beer was when I worked in Germany in the 90's. Then a few years later I spent two years in Belgium. I just can't drink mainstream beers now bar Guinness. IMO once you get the taste for them you'll find it hard to go back and wonder how you ever drank the ditch water you're drinking now. ;)

I went to the well a few times when when I moved to Cork first and its actually less I liked their beer the more I drank it to be honest, it also gave me horrible headaches and nasty feelings in my stomach after 3 pints that I wouldn't have after 12 pints of Guinness or smithwicks. I really am a fan of drinking what I'm used to and I don't like changing or being forced to drink something else.

That said I agree that Heineken, carlsberg, bud (on tap) is pi**, give me Bavaria before any of them. But I really like Guinness and Smithwicks. I also don't like Murphys or Bemish.

No not everything but I've drank the stout from the porter house and didn't like it and I have had both the stout and ale from the fran well on a few occasions and they cannot compare to Guinness or smithwicks imo, when I go there now (for one if I have to for some work thing) I have a bottle of some larger just to have something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

buck65 wrote: »
    Dublin is a joke in that list. We produce one world renowned decent product that has been watered and chilled to kill the taste.
    Fair play to the micro breweries in Ireland though, Porterhouse, Franciscan Brewery Cork, Galway Hooker, O Hara's etc. that is the real beer list. Pity the vintners still feel the need to serve imported rubbish like Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud, Miller and ****ing Coors.

PS Belgian beer is fantastic, strong but excellent. Take Leffe for example.

so are most of the other cities on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Seaneh wrote: »
    You obviously don't know a thing about beer.

Or Belgium for that matter. Belgium puts this little island to shame in multiple ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Definitely Brussels

Of course Madrid, Lisbon, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallinn, Panama, Galway,

Even Dubai was far better than most of those US cities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Hamburg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I suppose Munich is bit of a cliche to some (dunno why if the beer is good) but the single best beer I ever had in my life, and trust me I've had them everywhere, was an Augustiner in Munich. They don't export it and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't even get sold much further than a 100 mile radius of the brewery, so you've actually gotta go there to taste it.

I'm afraid you're way off with that. I've never seen it on tap outside of Muenchen, but you've been able to get Augustiner Hell and Pils in Dublin for a few years. McHughs on the Malahide Road does it. It's good stuff alright.

I'd have to throw London in the mix, never seen such a range of local and fordin beers. It's jaw dropping sometimes the amount they have on tap in some places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

buck65 wrote: »
    Pity the vintners still feel the need to serve imported rubbish like Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud, Miller and ****ing Coors.

If only they imported them from Amsterdam / Copenhagen. They are both brewed under license here (afaik) and are nothing like the ones produced in their native countries. Both beers are actually quite nice, unfortunately the stuff that's made here is total muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Acidflash wrote: »
    If only they imported them from Amsterdam / Copenhagen. They are both brewed under license here (afaik) and are nothing like the ones produced in their native countries. Both beers are actually quite nice, unfortunately the stuff that's made here is total muck.
    as a old one,i still believe the only beer is a hops with malt and barley ,i am not that keen with the kind of stuff thats out there now[ale larger]in montreal ,many ago,i was talking to a molsons brewer who told me his beer is made in 24hr with mixing chemicals,

Heineken is lovely I think, it's nice here in the UK and in France etc, but the one brewed in ireland is a weaker different one for Irish tastes, and it's really disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Heineken is lovely I think, it's nice here in the UK and in France etc, but the one brewed in ireland is a weaker different one for Irish tastes, and it's really disgusting.

The UK Heineken is .5% weaker than the Irish version

• Advertisement

The UK Heineken is .5% weaker than the Irish version

I don't think so, it was, or used to be 4.3% in Ireland, the Heineken in my local shop is 5% in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Live in Munich. The beers in bavaria are great. The Munich ones that are my favourite would be Augustiner or Hacker-Pschorr. However not from Munich but bavaria is Tegernseer. Delicious stuff.

Have to say I hate beer in Ireland. On another note Heineken in Amsterdam tasted infinitely better. Heineken in Ireland is ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hamburg

ah here, Hamburg produces 2 of the worst beers in Germany, astra & holsten. Apart from Duckstein and a few decent micro breweries it's not great compared to southern Germany.

jester77 wrote: »
    ah here, Hamburg produces 2 of the worst beers in Germany, astra & holsten. Apart from Duckstein and a few decent micro breweries it's not great compared to southern Germany.

ah here! I like Astra, but maybe it was just the cool bottle I liked. Duckstein is lovely too, the one I drank was a red type of beer, on board the Feuerschiff which you're probably aware of?

I don't think so, it was, or used to be 4.3% in Ireland, the Heineken in my local shop is 5% in the UK
    two types of heineken old in th english supermakets,the ordinary one which is 3.4% and the heineken export at 5% funny enough that is cheeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

IMO Prague is probably the best.

I know people usually associate Prague with hordes of British stag parties downing gallons of Pilsner Urquell then pissing and puking all over Old Town & Wenceslas Square but the Czech Rep has way more variety then just Pilsner, Budvar & Staropramen.

There are loads of other beers like Gambrinus, Krušovice, Starobrno (from the second largest city Brno), Kozel, plus the microfiltred Bernard to name just a few.

Not to mention the hundreds of micro brewery's scattered across the country that produce a large variety of beers that can be sampled at the Czech Beer Festival that is held every May in Prague.

ah here! I like Astra, but maybe it was just the cool bottle I liked. Duckstein is lovely too, the one I drank was a red type of beer, on board the Feuerschiff which you're probably aware of?

Nice place for food :)

I'm not a fan of astra, although the redlight version is ok when served cold. But they do have the best beer advertising in the world :D Do a google image search for their posters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Live in Munich. The beers in bavaria are great. The Munich ones that are my favourite would be Augustiner or Hacker-Pschorr. However not from Munich but bavaria is Tegernseer. Delicious stuff.

Have to say I hate beer in Ireland. On another note Heineken in Amsterdam tasted infinitely better. Heineken in Ireland is ****e.

Totally agree with that. Heinekin in Amsterdam is amazing. Bar man over there told me it was to do with the quality of water, don't know how true that is but it's ****e over here.

Nice place for food :)

I'm not a fan of astra, although the redlight version is ok when served cold. But they do have the best beer advertising in the world :D Do a google image search for their posters!

Have you been lately? Last time I was there the barman, a guy called Frank, was my mate's housemate, nice guy

Have you been lately? Last time I was there the barman, a guy called Frank, was my mate's housemate, nice guy

I haven't been there in ages, I usually only end up there on team night outs from work or when family is over to visit. Must go soon again, it has a nice atmosphere.

I haven't been there in ages, I usually only end up there on team night outs from work or when family is over to visit. Must go soon again, it has a nice atmosphere.

Yeah, it was kind of a Portuguesey area if I remember correctly, I would love to visit Hamburg again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

tricky D wrote: »

I was going to say KILKENNY, but I won't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

getz wrote: »
    two types of heineken old in th english supermakets,the ordinary one which is 3.4% and the heineken export at 5% funny enough that is cheeper

Its the same here the export is 20 cent cheaper per can tastes horrible though prefer the regular version

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'm actually getting angry at the people who say that American beer is crap. These people obviously knowing nothing about beer. As an analogy it's a bit like saying you think all American music is crap because all you know is Justin Beiber and Nicki Minaj.

The amount of amazing craft beer coming out of America is astounding. I would say it's the best in the world at this stage however Belgium will always have the history and finesse.

Dig a little deeper and you'll see yourself that your opinions are backward. There's a hell of a lot more than piss like Coors and Bud. Head over to the beer forum and get yerselves educated.

If I sound patronising it's because I am, about this subject, cos you're desperately wrong, and this is not subjective, it's a fact.

Just on the american beer thing.

Of the two biggest beer sites in the world, Beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com, there are 8 and 7 american beers in the top 10 beers in the world respectively.

So it would seem that the vast majority of beer lovers would rate American breweries as the best in the world.

That's that sorted then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Seaneh wrote: »
    Just on the american beer thing.

Of the two biggest beer sites in the world, Beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com, there are 8 and 7 american beers in the top 10 beers in the world respectively.

So it would seem that the vast majority of beer lovers would rate American breweries as the best in the world.

That's that sorted then.
    It's certainly a strong indication but you'd have to factor population into it and also availability. There are many good American beers available here but I don't know if European beers are widely available there.

They also both seem to be American sites.

humbert wrote: »
    It's certainly a strong indication but you'd have to factor population into it and also availability. There are many good American beers available here but I don't know if European beers are widely available there.

They also both seem to be American sites.

Most european beers are available world wide.

The fact that they can even (at times) get the rarest of Belgian beers Westvleteren 12 is a pretty good testament to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Killer selection of beers in Seattle. I'm here right now.
    Went into a craft beer pub. They had 1000 bottled beers. Savage selection.
    Even the dump-pubs serve decent beer now, instead of the Bud, Coors and Miller garbage on tap.

I would go for Antwerp and Cologne....just because I like Kolsch beer and especially the Kollner girls after they've had a feed of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

tuxy wrote: »
    Dublin made the list, very consistent city with bud,heino,carlsberg,guinness and bulmers horse piss available on tap in most pubs!

FYP

The beer generally accepted as the best in the world, Westvleteren 12, is a Belgian beer. I've tried it and it really is the best. Still have a few bottles left actually. There are some great US beers but nearly all the 'best beer in the world' articles are skewed in favour of the US, so it's not exactly indicative of the rest of the world.

Its the same here the export is 20 cent cheaper per can tastes horrible though prefer the regular version
    i prefer warm beer,that the way it should be drunk

I suppose Munich is bit of a cliche to some (dunno why if the beer is good) but the single best beer I ever had in my life, and trust me I've had them everywhere, was an Augustiner in Munich. They don't export it and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't even get sold much further than a 100 mile radius of the brewery, so you've actually gotta go there to
    I buy augustiner from drinkstore.ie

I buy augustiner from drinkstore.ie

I've seen it in Tesco.

Confab wrote: »
    I've seen it in Tesco.

:eek:

Which one?

:eek:

Which one?

Clare Hall. It's no Westvleteren 12 but it's a good beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Killer selection of beers in Seattle. I'm here right now.
    Went into a craft beer pub. They had 1000 bottled beers. Savage selection.
    Even the dump-pubs serve decent beer now, instead of the Bud, Coors and Miller garbage on tap.

I would go for Antwerp and Cologne....just because I like Kolsch beer and especially the Kollner girls after they've had a feed of it.

Very jealous!!!!
    That area of the US is brilliant for beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Germany have the bestest Beer

Confab wrote: »
    Clare Hall. It's no Westvleteren 12 but it's a good beer.

It's fantastic beer.

Never saw it in Tesco though. Will keep an eye out in future. :)

I can never get my head around this, beer should be ice cold, it's like pubs in the uk loads of warm flat beer which is rank and Stella which is crap and bad Guinness so it means a weekend of corona when I go over. Even the thought of warm beer uurrghhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Living in Prague I can vouch for its brilliance.

I can never get my head around this, beer should be ice cold, it's like pubs in the uk loads of warm flat beer which is rank and Stella which is crap and bad Guinness so it means a weekend of corona when I go over. Even the thought of warm beer uurrghhh.

It depends on the type of beer. Horse piss is generally served ice cold to hide the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Because the stuff from the microbrewerys is rank imo and a lot of people would agree with me. I would rather stay at home than drink the beer from the Franciscan well. Bad enough you cant get Guinness or Smithwicks but you cant even get a bottle of Corona or bud or something to tide you over in the place if you have to go there for some reason.

go for a light ale its like our larger.

that how it was always drank from the middle ages untill the 50s,i have two bottles of theakstons old peculier and a bottle of sheepshager in the pantry and i will be drinking them watching liverpool ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Portland Oregon.

Used to live there and go back every year to visit the in-laws. The high quality micro-brews ease the pain of having to listen to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Guinness traditionally was served in a bottle off the shelf.
    Before refrigeration was widespread, beers were stored and served from casks.
    Why should beer be ice cold?

EDIT: wot Getz sed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anchor Steam in the Bay area was my favourite beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement