Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best beer cities in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Anchor Steam in the Bay area was my favourite beer.

Gorgeous beer. Easy get here now in off-licences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anchor Steam in the Bay area was my favourite beer.

Keep meaning to try it.

sheesh wrote: »
    go for a light ale its like our larger.

I like corona so it's grand, it's more the fact you can't get pints of it rather than the drink itself.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Why should beer be ice cold?

EDIT: wot Getz sed!

To me beer should be a cold refreshing drink its just not nice if its warm. That includes the beers that are served warm always in the uk, just not something I like. If I want a warm alcoholic drink I have hot whiskey.

To me beer should be a cold refreshing drink its just not nice if its warm. That includes the beers that are served warm always in the uk, just not something I like. If I want a warm alcoholic drink I have hot whiskey.

Just drink Coke, you're giving beer lovers a bad name.

Just so you know, your Mancard is now void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

WIZE wrote: »
    Germany have the bestest Beer

I would agree. But I suspect since Germany exports relatively little of it, and usually the poorer quality stuff, it's not as widely known.
    To highlight that : I'm from a small town in Germany, 70 000 inhabitants, with 10 breweries just in the town. Every little village in the surrounding area will have at least 1 brewery of it's own, many have 2 or 3.
    Out of all of this, there is only 1 brewery that exports to outside of Bavaria. And that only exports 1 of the 4 or 5 beers they actually produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Try something like a chilled bottle of Sierra Nevada IPA or Goose Island, or even our own O'Hara's Pale Ale if you don't like your beer room temperature. You won't look at a Corona again!

Confab wrote: »
    Just drink Coke, you're giving beer lovers a bad name.

Just so you know, your Mancard is now void.

No I will stick to Guinness and Smithwicks, nice beer, the right amount of gas and the right temperature (normally anyway).

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Try something like a chilled bottle of Sierra Nevada IPA or Goose Island, or even our own O'Hara's Pale Ale if you don't like your beer room temperature. You won't look at a Corona again!

A good selection for a noob beer enthusiast. Not my glass of beer though, I find IPAs a bit on a bland side. Weissbeer, bocks, Belgians, etc are much better imo.
    No I will stick to Guinness and Smithwicks, nice beer, the right amount of gas and the right temperature (normally anyway).

Consider your Mancard permanently revoked until you try something with a bit of taste and character. Might as well drink fizzy water.
    I would agree. But I suspect since Germany exports relatively little of it, and usually the poorer quality stuff, it's not as widely known.
    To highlight that : I'm from a small town in Germany, 70 000 inhabitants, with 10 breweries just in the town. Every little village in the surrounding area will have at least 1 brewery of it's own, many have 2 or 3.
    Out of all of this, there is only 1 brewery that exports to outside of Bavaria. And that only exports 1 of the 4 or 5 beers they actually produce.

A very useful insight. I'm drinking Paulaner at the moment, first bottle was cold, second is room temp,. The second one is by far the better. Can you name a few breweries in your area that we may not have heard of? Are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

A good selection for a noob beer enthusiast. Not my glass of beer though, I find IPAs a bit on a bland side. Weissbeer, bocks, Belgians, etc are much better imo.

Agreed, they were the gateway beers that got me off Heineken though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

sheesh wrote: »
    go for a light ale its like our larger.

I like corona so it's grand, it's more the fact you can't get pints of it rather than the drink itself.

No offence but Corona is perhaps the blandest alcoholic drink on the entire planet, usually drank by people who fancy a beer but don't like the taste of beer.

• Advertisement

Consider your Mancard permanently revoked until you try something with a bit of taste and character. Might as well drink fizzy water.

Nothing worse than beer snobs, Funny you mention weissbeer one if the most awful things I've ever tasted and smells like crap.

Talking crap calling Guinness and Smithwicks fuzzy water they are damn nice and I've no interest in wasting my time trying all that stuff that I know will be rank. I know what I like and I know how I will feel after it the next day.

Nothing worse than beer snobs, Funny you mention weissbeer one if the most awful things I've ever tasted and smells like crap.

Talking crap calling Guinness and Smithwicks fuzzy water they are damn nice and I've no interest in wasting my time trying all that stuff that I know will be rank. I know what I like and I know how I will feel after it the next day.

No accounting for taste I suppose. Enjoy. I'm worse than a beer snob, I actually brew my own. Easy as hell and very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Benny_Cake wrote: »

As Benny says the above beers are easy to drink with slightly stronger flavours than main stream beers and available in Superquinn for a reasonable price (6 for price of 5 - works out at approx €2 a bottle) - give them a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Like you I always dreaded going to the UK as their beer is muck. I was wrong - the main stream beer they serve is infinitely worse than at home for some strange reason even though it's similar stuff. Try some proper ales and IPA's though and you'll fall in love. Can't do the warm stuff myself either mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Each to ther own man, but to me thats like saying a cheese sandwich will do when a gourmet meal is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Shenshen wrote: »

Which town? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hood River, Oregon, 6,737 inhabitants, 6 breweries and 8 brewpubs.

I think Hood river wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

English beers should ne served cool, not cold, not warm.

You wouldn't serve a red wine cold, so why ale? The only reason is to hide the fact it is a mass produced fizzy concoction of chemicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Since when has cellar temperature been considered warm??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The thing to understand about American beer (IMHO) is that yes, a lot of it is crap, but a lot of Americans get this, and have decided to do something about it. Denver I already mentioned, but I was also pleasantly surprised on a trip to Houston a few years ago. The local speciality is Shiner Bock, which was great, but my favourite after working in a friend's garden in a Houston summer was Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower - a Kölsch.

President Obama is brewing beer in the White House, for Pete's sake ... :D

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Seaneh wrote: »
    You obviously don't know a thing about beer.

It was just a sweeping generalisation that gets said about Belgium a lot and a bit tongue in cheek. Like how all us Paddies are mad for the crack and drink nothing but Guinness.

Wasn't specifically directed at their beer, which can be quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Heineken is lovely I think

I hate it, except the NZ made stuff which is actually nice and completely different. The stuff in the Brewery in Amsterdam is possibly the most vile beer I've ever tasted, apart from Amstel.

Last time came back to Ireland got a Heineken thinking I'd like it since I've been drinking it in NZ but only managed about 1/4 of the pint before I had to give it to someone else... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I hate it, except the NZ made stuff which is actually nice and completely different. The stuff in the Brewery in Amsterdam is possibly the most vile beer I've ever tasted, apart from Amstel.

Last time came back to Ireland got a Heineken thinking I'd like it since I've been drinking it in NZ but only managed about 1/4 of the pint before I had to give it to someone else... :(
    Was it the little free sample at the end of the tour? It was seriously nasty. Had the nicest Heineken near the brewery but it's still not a beer I'd get excited about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

NZ has the most vibrant craft beer scene in the southern hemisphere, why on earth would you drink Heineken there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Favorite beer cities:

Cologne
    London
    Prague (During the international beer festival)
    Munich (No during Oktoberfest)
    Antwerp
    Lille
    Munich
    Berllin
    Tilburg

My favorite beers depend on the situation/weather/mood.

Out 'on the lash' in Amsterdam/Eindhoven wherever, just 'Beer' will do, usually this is Heineken/Bavaria/Amstel.

If i'm having a relaxing day out in the city i'll usually go for an Affligem Blond, Leffe blond, Blanche De Namur or a Hoegaarten or something.

In Germany I'll always go for whats local in the City, except in Dusseldorf, Alt Bier is feckin mingin.

My favorite German beer is Tegernsee Spezial :)
    It really easy to drink and has a lovely taste.
    http://www.biershop-bayern.de/index.php/tegernseer-spezial-9-flaschen.html

Bit difficult to get up north but I know two shops in Dusseldorf selling it.

Sometimes we'll go to bars (In Eindhoven) where beer exploration is the goal, e.g:
    http://www.bierprofessor.nl/bierlijst

Get the menu and have a look through, have a list so we know what we've had before :)

Different strokes for different folks, I like to try everything once :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Can't beat Galway on a summers day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

True ... but theres some weird folk in Galway, a group of lads called me a '******' for having a Paulaner and that they "didn't like my type round here"

:rolleyes:

You'll meet a$$holes everywhere I guess.

True ... but theres some weird folk in Galway, a group of lads called me a '******' for having a Paulaner and that they "didn't like my type round here"

:rolleyes:

You'll meet a$$holes everywhere I guess.

It's only because they watch too much Deliverance. Duelling Banjos is the official Galway song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

to get a decent drink in the UK,you must go upnorth yorkshire lancashire,i notice that the beer that all a rage in the famous strangers bar in the houses of parliament is from a little known burnley brewer called moorhouse,their brewer scoop has just been installed on tap,and it was so popular with the ministers that it sold out in two days,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Best city ive ever been to was Barcelona :D Patis is the most fvcked up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

is that a genuine suggestion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Leftist wrote: »
    is that a genuine suggestion?

Galway is a great drinking town, great atmosphere on the streets when the weather is dry. My favorite drinking town in Ireland by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Galway is a great drinking town, great atmosphere on the streets when the weather is dry. My favorite drinking town in Ireland by a country mile.

not really a qualification for best beer city in the world though is it. It's just a place you like.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Which town? :)

Only one to match the description, the town with the highest density of breweries on the planet : Bamberg.

A very useful insight. I'm drinking Paulaner at the moment, first bottle was cold, second is room temp,. The second one is by far the better. Can you name a few breweries in your area that we may not have heard of? Are they any good?

Here's the lot from the town :

http://www.beerguide.de/bamberg/bamberg.htm

The most beer the town is most famous for is Rauchbier, smokey beer. And the most famous breweries for this is Schlenkerla, so their Rauchbier would be the only one you might occasionally find on a shelf in a speciality shop.

Personally, I favour Ungespundtes, or "U" for short (shortest way to order beer : "A U". That'll get you half a litre of cool fresh beer in my home town). It's very full-flavoured, and very good to drink as it's not as fizzy as Pils or Weizen would be.
    Maerzen is lovely as well, but it's a seasonal beer, they don't brew it year-round.

Only one to match the description, the town with the highest density of breweries on the planet : Bamberg.

They all make the same beer though. Wheres the fun in that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Snowie wrote: »
    Best city ive ever been to was Barcelona :D Patis is the most fvcked up :pac:

Hi. It's Pastis, and it's French lol.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Hood River, Oregon, 6,737 inhabitants, 6 breweries and 8 brewpubs.

I think Hood river wins.

Really? According to the interwebs, there are 3 breweries in that town, and the inhabintants number 7200.
    No mention of any breweries located in surrounding villages.
    Still a good average, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Big difference between a drinking town and a beer town. Most places in Galway are the bog standard 8 or 9 beers you get in every pub in the country. And I'd taking drinking on the reeperbahn in hamburg on a sunny day miles ahead of galway!

reeb wrote: »
    They all make the same beer though. Wheres the fun in that?

Er, no, they don't.

Faessla : Gold Pils, Zwergla, Weizla, Weizla Dunkel, Lager and Bambergator
    Greifenklau : Lager, Pils and Rauchbier
    Kaiserdom : Alt-Bamberg Dunkel, Rauchbier, Hefeweissbier (wouldn't recommend that particular brewery, though)
    Keesmann : Herren-Pils, Helles, Weissbier, Bock, Sternla
    Klosterbraeu : Bamberger Gold Pils, Schwärzla, Braunbier, Lagerbier, Bock, Braun's Weisse
    Mahr's : Helles, Pils, "U", Gig, Bockbier, Mahrs-Weisse, Weisse Bock
    Schlenkerla : Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, Urbock, Helles Lagerbier, Weissbier
    Spezi : Lagerbier, Märzen, Weizen, Bock, "U", Kellerbier

Serious question: Are there any craft beer bars in Galway along the lines of The Porterhouse, L Mulligan Grocer, The Brewdock, Against The Grain etc?

• Advertisement

Serious question: Are there any craft beer bars in Galway along the lines of The Porterhouse, L Mulligan Grocer, The Brewdock, Against The Grain etc?

Not in Galway itself, but close by I think.
    We were in Clare the other weekend, and I had a Dooliners.
    I would recommend it, very nice stuff.

Er, no, they don't.

Faessla : Gold Pils, Zwergla, Weizla, Weizla Dunkel, Lager and Bambergator
    Greifenklau : Lager, Pils and Rauchbier
    Kaiserdom : Alt-Bamberg Dunkel, Rauchbier, Hefeweissbier (wouldn't recommend that particular brewery, though)
    Keesmann : Herren-Pils, Helles, Weissbier, Bock, Sternla
    Klosterbraeu : Bamberger Gold Pils, Schwärzla, Braunbier, Lagerbier, Bock, Braun's Weisse
    Mahr's : Helles, Pils, "U", Gig, Bockbier, Mahrs-Weisse, Weisse Bock
    Schlenkerla : Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, Urbock, Helles Lagerbier, Weissbier
    Spezi : Lagerbier, Märzen, Weizen, Bock, "U", Kellerbier

These are just lagers and wheat beers (with one smoked and an altbier thrown in for good measure). Which are very nice, but personally I prefer a little variety in what I drink.

These are just lagers and wheat beers (with one smoked and an altbier thrown in for good measure). Which are very nice, but personally I prefer a little variety in what I drink.

Again, sorry, no. There are dark beers, Bock beers, Maerzen, U...
    I'm not a big fan of lager, and cannot stand wheat beers. There are lots of others in that list, though.

Again, sorry, no. There are dark beers, Bock beers, Maerzen, U...
    I'm not a big fan of lager, and cannot stand wheat beers. There are lots of others in that list, though.

Bock and Marzen are lagers. German dark beers are typically schwarzbier - dark lager. What is U? You obviously know your beer, why not try something different? US beer is far more exciting than anything coming out of Germany.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Bierhaus on (Henry Street?) is about the closest thing to the above.

EDIT: Definately Henry Street http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186609-d2148525-Reviews-Bierhaus-Galway_County_Galway.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Not in Galway itself, but close by I think.

The Oslo (brew their own stuff) , The Salt House, The Cottage, The Scholars Rest. The bierhaus has an ok selection too.

Cheers, forgot about the Oslo, glad to see theres a few others cropping up too.

Acidflash wrote: »
    The Oslo (brew their own stuff) , The Salt House, The Cottage, The Scholars Rest. The bierhaus has an ok selection too.

Mmm didn't know there was that many only ever been in the Bierhaus, must seek out a few more of those when I am down there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Plenty of them. Oslo, The Salthouse, Bierhaus. You can get Galway Hooker in plenty of bars.

• Advertisement

Bock and Marzen are lagers. German dark beers are typically schwarzbier - dark lager. What is U? You obviously know your beer, why not try something different? US beer is far more exciting than anything coming out of Germany.

Ok, I know you're just trying to troll now.
    I've had beers in the US. There are a lot of rather drinkable small brews, but all of them incredibly similar in taste to one another. I think once US brewers stop being scared of producing anything that isn't "like" one of the big names, they might get somewhere.
    For now, I prefer the variety of German and UK beers, as well as the small brweries in Ireland.

Advertisement