Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best beer cities in the world

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

marco_polo wrote: »
    Mmm didn't know there was that many only ever been in the Bierhaus, must seek out a few more of those when I am down there again.

The bierhaus is probably the one i'd visit least. The salt house is only about 300 metres away on raven terrace. The Oslo is in salthill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, I know you're just trying to troll now.
    I've had beers in the US. There are a lot of rather drinkable small brews, but all of them incredibly similar in taste to one another. I think once US brewers stop being scared of producing anything that isn't "like" one of the big names, they might get somewhere.
    For now, I prefer the variety of German and UK beers, as well as the small brweries in Ireland.

What a ridiculous post. Which 'big name' is Three Floyds Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout supposed to taste like? 2000+ micros have cropped up in the last 20 years in the US. Go drink them, you can thank me later. It will give you a break from all that lager you didnt know you were drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A generalisation here, but german beer is over rated imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭reeb

Cienciano wrote: »
    A generalisation here, but german beer is over rated imho

Depends who you ask I suppose, as this thread shows. There are hundred of small brewers left in Germany who pump out wonderful, traditional fresh beer locally. Unfortunately for them, failure to innovate means the macros have stolen their market. Craft beer has risen up by following the very model the Germans invented, but with a modern twist, and it has exploded all over the western world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Leftist wrote: »
    not really a qualification for best beer city in the world though is it. It's just a place you like.

True that. I'd drink any old ****e if the company and atmosphere is right :p

I live in Belgium and the choice of beer is staggering. I'd normally drink a different beer everytime I go out. I slowing making my way onto the darker beers. Antwerp is a great town for drinking with loads of beers to choose from. Actually most western mainland european cities have good selections.

Saying that, I was in my local a few weeks ago and the pints of Heineken were lovely. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Here's the lot from the town :

http://www.beerguide.de/bamberg/bamberg.htm

The most beer the town is most famous for is Rauchbier, smokey beer. And the most famous breweries for this is Schlenkerla, so their Rauchbier would be the only one you might occasionally find on a shelf in a speciality shop.

Personally, I favour Ungespundtes, or "U" for short (shortest way to order beer : "A U". That'll get you half a litre of cool fresh beer in my home town). It's very full-flavoured, and very good to drink as it's not as fizzy as Pils or Weizen would be.
    Maerzen is lovely as well, but it's a seasonal beer, they don't brew it year-round.

Hmm .. only a 5hr 20 min blast down the autobahn .... Might head there for the christmas markets :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

reeb wrote: »
    Serious question: Are there any craft beer bars in Galway along the lines of The Porterhouse, L Mulligan Grocer, The Brewdock, Against The Grain etc?

yes, yes there is.

Salt House,

The same people who own the brew dock, black sheep and against the grain.

Not in Galway itself, but close by I think.
    We were in Clare the other weekend, and I had a Dooliners.
    I would recommend it, very nice stuff.

Oslo in salthill is a brew pub, they brew all the Galway Bay Brewery beers there (which you can only buy in their own pubs).

Really? According to the interwebs, there are 3 breweries in that town, and the inhabintants number 7200.
    No mention of any breweries located in surrounding villages.
    Still a good average, though.

There are 3 small breweries and 3 big ones (full sail is huge) and then 8 bars with their own brews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Dortmund is famous for it's beer as well :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement