Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can The school charge you to get your phone back?

• 04-10-2012 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.There didn't really seem to be a better place for this.
    I'm just wondering if schools are allowed to charge students money to get their phones back that the school confiscated.Now I've never actually had my phone confiscated myself as I couldn't be arsed bringing my phone into school but they have been doing this since I was in first year and it seems strange that they can charge you money to get your own phone back.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If that is what it says in their rules and you and your guardians signed the rules to say you agreed with them and would abide by then, then yes they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Our school did this and it cut down on a lot of messing in class. If it's in their rules and you are in the school (therefore accepting of said rules) of course they can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Presumably they were confiscated because they were being used by students during class, or otherwise in breach of the rules.

And someone, probably the school secretary or a designated teacher, has to take responsibility for storing them and returning them at the end of the day or whatever.

And that's a waste of their time, time which is paid for by the state and ultimately the taxpayer, time which they could be doing other things of more use to the school as a whole, including the body of students.

So why shouldn't those students who act the mick and disturb classes and end up having their phone confiscated and thus waste staff time compensate the school for the loss of both time and money?

Students aren't being charged for their own phone; they're being charged for that needlessly wasted staff time.

Funny how students in that kind of position tend to whinge on about their "rights" but seldom seem to know the word "responsibilities"!

Advertisement