Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of swords/katanas?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi all. I hope this is the right forum to post this in heh..

Basically im wondering what is the legal status of swords? particularly katanas? cause i've been obsessed with them since i was a kid, i've been doing martial arts on and off for about 11 years now and for the longest time i've wanted to have a one and lately I've been genuinely considering buying one but obviously im not going to if it will land me in jail or with a fine haha.

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Section 9 of the firearms and offensive weapons act makes it illegal to posess a blade in a public place without a valid reason.

Afaik being obsessed with them is not a valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Basically, in your own home as a decoration piece, they're legal.

If you step outside your front door with it, you're commiti g an offence under S.9, firearms and offensive weapons act. If you're, transporting it, it would need to be in the boot or similarly out of reach.

Edit: by transporting it, I mean moving it from one place to another, not keeping it permanently in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dipti

Although katana swords are a great battle ready swords but still they are restricted in some parts of the countries ( may be because of misuse issues which you can read them today also like people are using them to kill other people without any reason). Not only samurai swords, but other curved swords have been banned ( except there are some exceptions for registered martial artists, re-enactors and even certain genuine Japanese swords).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dipti wrote: »
    Although katana swords are a great battle ready swords but still they are restricted in some parts of the countries ( may be because of misuse issues which you can read them today also like people are using them to kill other people without any reason). Not only samurai swords, but other curved swords have been banned ( except there are some exceptions for registered martial artists, re-enactors and even certain genuine Japanese swords).
    ... ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well you know FreudianSlippers, Master Yodishima and the Hangpeng dynasty are amassing forces as we speak. Everyone must remain vigilant and battle ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

SI 338 of 2009, the Firearms And Offensive Weapons Act 1990 (Offensive Weapons) (Amendment) Order 2009 added Katanas or 'samurai swords' to the list of offensive weapons under Section 12 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 which prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, hire or loan of these weapons.

There are exemptions for a sword
    (i) made before 1954, or
    (ii) made at any other time according to traditional methods of making swords by hand

Advertisement