Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another mature entry medicine thread...

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I need some advice from those who have applied (either successfully or unsuccessfully) as a mature applicant to medicine in recent years. This is a bit long so bear with me!

I have an 2.2 undergraduate arts degree so the gamsat is not an option. I did 2 years previous of an honours degree in pharmacy and left (family issues).
    So I've deferred my masters this year and decided to focus entirely on beefing up my application for mature medicine. My question relates to the 'experience' needed for my application so if you would be so kind as to suggest any areas which would be helpful. My experience is -
    -2 and a half years caring for a close elderly relative with numerous serious health issues (live in career)
    -Volunteering with the Children in Hospital charity
    -Recently began volunteering with St. John ambulance
    -Volunteer work with UNICEF

I plan to sit the HPAT in 2013 and repeat HL Biology and Chemistry so is there anything else I need? I've only being volunteering since August but plan to continue as I genuinely enjoy it but I'm afraid this lack of time spent (say 9months vs 4years) will go against me. Has anyone any experiences or suggestions relating to work experience issues? Also, what should be put onto a personal statement? I don't want to make it really short or far too long!
    Thanks in advance, SF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

For the personal statement , Essays that wil get you into medical school by Dan Kaufman - 3rd Ed should help . Its US MCAT orientated but it gives the details of whats sought after and what isnt .

Good luck with HPAT , had no luck with it - twice and same result so GAMSAT it is for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Thanks a million, I'll be sure to get it. I sat the GAMSAT, people will tell you how bad it is but it is actually horrendous. If you can get 'Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning'. It is honestly an absolute godsend, goes through all the comprehensions and the answers, explaining why one is more suitable over another. Any of thee Examkrackers science books are similar in their explanations of the answers.

For the essays remember 'ITAS - Introduction, thesis, antithesis and synthesis'. Essentially I - an introduction to the title of the essay you chose, T - your main point/argument, A - a counter point/argument, S - linking both arguments in together. By sticking with this I got a 79 in section II so it worked for me ;)

Best of luck with the GAMSAT, as I said, it is horrible, but the day will fly in for you. :D

Advertisement