Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countryside landlords.

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys.

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child and we really don't want to raise it in Dublin. We're looking for a nice 3 bedroom family home, preferably in the literal middle of nowhere. We've seen some really beautiful places in Kerry at around 400 a month. Near that price would be ideal.

Also we're looking for a long term let. We need a minimum of 3 to 4 years.

As said we're open to anywhere so I'd love to hear back if you have anything.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

are you hoping to live near killarney, dingle, caherciveen, killorglin, all are beautiful places, with fine properties within a few miles of them,
    do you know people in kerry,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chiram

goat2 wrote: »
    are you hoping to live near killarney, dingle, caherciveen, killorglin, all are beautiful places, with fine properties within a few miles of them,
    do you know people in kerry,

We actually don't mind where we go. Neither of us have a lot holding us here. I have some friends in listowel but I don't need to be right by them :)

then some place like outskirts of ballybunion would be nice for ye, not far from sea, beautiful walks,
    also ballyhigue, is fab, would be one of the places i would pick, there is also inch, there are good houses going there for very affordable rents, inch has a very long beach for walks,
    there is glembeigh that is in the ring of kerry route between killorglin and chaerciveen, there is beaufort, near the gap of dunloe, and just a few miles from both killarney and killorglin and about three quarter drive from tralee, and there is milltown that is situated between killarney killorglin, tralee, dingle, very central to all,
    tet out the google maps when you are looking and you see all these places, just insert addresses of houses you may have an eye on to get a look at house and surrounding area on the satellite, it is a great way of seeing things, also download the local magazsines, like killarney advertiser, west kerry live, tralee advertiser, in there you will see loads of houses going for rent, you have your pick of the bunch, it is a renters market out there,

just make sure these places are well insulated and sealed, also make sure there is the kind of heating you can afford, remembering that those multifuel stove is the most economical form of heating, for the radiators and water, as that is the biggest bill in a house,
    where by you need a god few quid to fill an oil tank, you can fill the stove as you afford it, and there is wood selling all over the place, and look into what the leccy bills are in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chiram

Wow cheers for all the info. I'll definitely take a look around Ballybunion now. Great to know about the wood burning /Solid fuel stoves being common there.

I'm going to be looking at biodiesel from algae when I get there and some other methods of producing some of your own energy. I intend to pull that from from the aquaponics system I'll install to produce food. I'll use the biodiesel to run a generator linked to a bank of batteries for the pumps on the system. No waste in no waste out and certainly a welcome step up from our 'bottleponics' experiment.

The missus and I have wanted to see how far we could take a self sustaining lifestyle and now we have the opportunity to try it for at least a year. We need a lot of information getting into this so again, thank you for taking the time to respond in detail like that.

• Advertisement

Chiram wrote: »
    Wow cheers for all the info. I'll definitely take a look around Ballybunion now. Great to know about the wood burning /Solid fuel stoves being common there.

I'm going to be looking at biodiesel from algae when I get there and some other methods of producing some of your own energy. I intend to pull that from from the aquaponics system I'll install to produce food. I'll use the biodiesel to run a generator linked to a bank of batteries for the pumps on the system. No waste in no waste out and certainly a welcome step up from our 'bottleponics' experiment.

The missus and I have wanted to see how far we could take a self sustaining lifestyle and now we have the opportunity to try it for at least a year. We need a lot of information getting into this so again, thank you for taking the time to respond in detail like that.
    make sure you get the leccy bill in your own name, as the coin meters can be jipped up in prices, only have the bill addressed to you, well insulated walls and ceilings, and sealed allover make sure you have double or treble glazed windows, also a house with the largest windows facing south gives best ssun so the heat can be trapped with windows, making it a brighter and easier home t o heat,
    and as i say, the ball is in your court, it is a renters market

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

If you genuinely don't care where you go, why not list all thing things that are important to you and your girlfriend. Then find out about towns/villages around Ireland that will meet your needs.

Your position sounds unique, so you have a great oppertunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Agree with Harry

Op I am in same situation as yourself and OH, we wrote down a list of things we need biggest one being that we have no transport so need to be in a town with a train station, supermarket and junior school, other than that we are not bothered.

Once you figure out what you need to be around you then as already said look at the different counties and what appeals to you and then look at properties

we are counting the days to the end of the lease here in dublin :)

so best of luck with it all and happy moving

if it is kerry you are heading, then that would be tralee and killarney, i think it also stops in farranfore,
    there are also eireann road busses from the outlining towns that you could connect with the train in killarney and tralee, i also think that rathmore also has a train stop,
    but you really can get to the outskirts of towns and enjoy walking near the lakes of killarney or blennerville tralee has beautiful walks also, if you have a pet these would be beautiful places to walk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Make sure you research the employment opportunities in whatever area you decide to move to.

Country living is great but it comes at a price.

• Advertisement

i would rather be living in the country, if a person is unemployed and have a good size garden and on long term lease, you could enjoy growing your own veg, and being beside the sea go for long walks, weather is much milder in cork, kerry, waterford than it is in galway, mayo, you would find flowers in those counties down along the south coast while they would have been burned by frosts the further north you go,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Make sure you research the employment opportunities in whatever area you decide to move to.

Country living is great but it comes at a price.
    This is so true, unless you are independently wealthy you should research access to economic opportunities, be it work, enterprise start up support, decent upskilling courses etc.

also some landlords as we have heard of, dont know the rules concerning renting out a property, there must be agreement that land lord does not enter house without your permission and with you present,
    that is one thing you have to discuss before handing over a deposit, it is your home while you are there, and everyone of us is entitled to their privacy, which means that if you want to trow your clothes around or are a bit untidy it is your business,
    so be sure to try and judge the landlord as the land lord is also judging you,

it is hard for prosptctive tenants to find information on a land lord,

while the land lord can ask for the landlord numper of the places you stayed to make sure that they are dealing with people that are of good character,
    i know that when i am asked for a reference i give it, but if i had a problem with the tenant, and a phonecall from the new prospective land lord, i then say it as it was for me

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bushi

Chiram wrote: »
    (...)I'm going to be looking at biodiesel from algae when I get there and some other methods of producing some of your own energy. I intend to pull that from from the aquaponics system I'll install to produce food. I'll use the biodiesel to run a generator linked to a bank of batteries for the pumps on the system.(...)
    Hello everyone,

Chiram,

I am researching aquaponic system myself, and I was intrigued by your biodiesel idea. Myself, I was thinking about solar panels instead of generator - to me, it seems to be a simpler setup, defo less maintenance, and all in all, I believe it would work out cheaper and way, way less hassle than the generator/biodiesel one? Care to elaborate more on your rationale/setup?

cheers,
    Michal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Just to give you a reality check guys, you'll never generate electricity as cheap as the grid from your own generator with a battery based system. Batteries are expensive and have a finite life span. Go grid tied with any renewable energy system if you have grid electricity available at your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bushi

air wrote: »
    Just to give you a reality check guys, you'll never generate electricity as cheap as the grid from your own generator with a battery based system. Batteries are expensive and have a finite life span. Go grid tied with any renewable energy system if you have grid electricity available at your location.

Thanks air,

I am well aware of shortcomings of PV panels (especially here in "sunny" Ireland, one might question their purpose ;)), yet "never" is a big word - in the landscape of ever-increasing energy prices. I am in contact with a US fellow/scientist type, who went "off-grid" in late 70ies, and his earliest panels bought back then are still alive and kicking. Batteries, yes that is a cost, but they will also last, if used as intended (deep cycle ones), and not get killed by dodgy design/installation/usage.

But I generally agree, my planned solar system will be "stage two", at first I want to do this grid-connected - it will be enough R&D for me as it is, without over engineering things(!). Solar power, is mainly for "the end of days" scenario, and the crack of doing it ;)

cheers,

Advertisement