Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small rig for the girlfriend

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads i want to build something small and tidy for the girlfriend.
    She just needs something for her facebook,tv3 player,movies,ect ect. you know...all that girly stuff:rolleyes:

I was thinking along the lines of mATX,On board graphics...Something very simple..

I have a spare monitor and keyboard.

No need for overclocking..Simple simple is what she needs..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Depending on how much money you want to spend, a G530-type/i3 2100-type, and I'd nearly go mITX, with an Element Q case or something, if you want tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Serephucus wrote: »
    Depending on how much money you want to spend, a G530-type/i3 2100-type, and I'd nearly go mITX, with an Element Q case or something, if you want tidy.

Im thinking around 450-500e.
    I like tidy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.62
    Intel Core i3-3220 Box, LGA1155|€111.23
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€78.95
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.31
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€88.03
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€460.02

Something like this so?

If more space is needed then you'd be able to fit a Mechanical HDD in the bay and just blu-tac the SSD into the 5.25" bay so long as a DVD drive isn't needed. Or you could get an external and make use of the USB 3.0 ports on the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Item|Price
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€52.62
    Intel Core i3-3220 Box, LGA1155|€111.23
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€78.95
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.31
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€88.03
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€460.02

Something like this so?

If more space is needed then you'd be able to fit a Mechanical HDD in the bay and just blu-tac the SSD into the 5.25" bay so long as a DVD drive isn't needed. Or you could get an external and make use of the USB 3.0 ports on the mobo.

I like this build but Thinking to give the new amd cpu a go..
    Do they do a mitx board to suit the element Q case?
    128 gig memory is plenty for her...
    I have windows sorted..the young lad is in college so will tap him:cool:

• Advertisement

I like this also but the element q case takes my fancy...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Nokia08

Just an FYI Windows 7 is gone from software4students.ie they are unsure when it will be back into stock.

Nokia08 wrote: »
    Just an FYI Windows 7 is gone from software4students.ie they are unsure when it will be back into stock.

Oh right...Thanks for the heads up

dwighet wrote: »
    I like this also but the element q case takes my fancy...

It's a lovely looking case but I have a hard time trusting bundled power supplies.
    I'll have a look around for problems and such.

As I said MSI are releasing mITX FM2 boards soon, so if you can wait, the Q case and a Trinity CPU is a viable option.

EDIT: People with that case sometimes complain about the noise of the PSU and poor airflow, leading to high temps. Also that it's not a nice as the pictures make it out to be, which is a damn shame because it looks great. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A good bit dearer and would also require a seperate PSU purchase but the BitFenix Prodigy has gotten some really good reviews.

Style wise it is possibly a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it, but if I had the cash for a mITX build I think that is what it would be going in :)

• Advertisement

It's a lovely looking case but I have a hard time trusting bundled power supplies.
    I'll have a look around for problems and such.

As I said MSI are releasing mITX FM2 boards soon, so if you can wait, the Q case and a Trinity CPU is a viable option.

EDIT: People with that case sometimes complain about the noise of the PSU and poor airflow, leading to high temps. Also that it's not a nice as the pictures make it out to be, which is a damn shame because it looks great. :(

I wont be ordering until the end of the month so will see how the mITX board goes...If its on the shelf when im ready i will go the amd route..if not the trusty i3 will be the finest..

Thanks for your help.

marco_polo wrote: »
    A good bit dearer and would also require a seperate PSU purchase but the BitFenix Prodigy has gotten some really good reviews.

Style wise it is possibly a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it, but if I had the cash for a mITX build I think that is what it would be going in :)

Thats nice also...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Nokia08 wrote: »

According to the e-mail they sent me they won't be getting it back in stock full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

dwighet,

Give a look a the FT03 mini in silver, IMO the nicest SFF case I have seen by a long shot.

glynf wrote: »
    dwighet,

Give a look a the FT03 mini in silver, IMO the nicest SFF case I have seen by a long shot.

Very nice..
    I gotta carefull...This is for the girlfriend...It could end up nicer than mine:(

Doubt it, unless you wedge a pair of 7970's into the FT03 :)

did you get the second sorted?

glynf wrote: »
    Doubt it, unless you wedge a pair of 7970's into the FT03 :)

did you get the second sorted?

No mate...Its toast..

Will get another once herself is kitted out..

Sry to hear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭chickendinner

I will give it a go

I will give it a go

sry dude...Its gone to a better place

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Why not just get her a mac mini? That **** gonna get you laaaaaaaid son! ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

If you get the element q..the stock psu fan is like a helicopter you'll prob end up having to replace it..or have the neighbours complain about the tv volume level.. IMO I'd get a cooler master advanced 120.. It's a slight bit bigger but takes an ATX psu so more options for a quiet one..

I'm posting this after replacing the psu on my element q

Andy!! wrote: »
    Why not just get her a mac mini? That **** gonna get you laaaaaaaid son! ;P

Whats a Mac? Is it some sort of burger?:confused:

Its just a matter of pointing to the bed room and clicking my fingers:cool:

dwighet wrote: »
    Its just a matter of pointing to the bed room and clicking my fingers:cool:

It's actually 1 finger simple!

It's actually 1 finger simple!

nice one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

facebook,tv3 player,movies
    Save yourself some dosh. Don't need a PC for that. iPad.

pwurple wrote: »
    Save yourself some dosh. Don't need a PC for that. iPad.

Shes not into gadgets..Nor am I..
    But thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I know its sacrilege to speak such things in the building forum, but what about a laptop ? you lose out on performance, but they seem to work out a bit cheaper and you can always blame the laptop maker, where as if you build it the blame lies at your door ! Also it can be carted around the house which can be handy.

I like the look of some of the AMD llano ones for cheap machines that aren't completely crippled

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Don't knock it till you tried it, I am mainly a windows user, but my mac air is great for the stuff your gf needs it for. A mac mini would do just as good a job.

• Advertisement

imitation wrote: »
    I know its sacrilege to speak such things in the building forum, but what about a laptop ? you lose out on performance, but they seem to work out a bit cheaper and you can always blame the laptop maker, where as if you build it the blame lies at your door ! Also it can be carted around the house which can be handy.

I like the look of some of the AMD llano ones for cheap machines that aren't completely crippled

I had a good serious think of getting her a laptop..
    But The monitors are to small and it gets too messy once the speaker cables and hdmi cable for the big screen and so on are connected for the friday night piss up and you tube sing song..

In all fairness I was very close to getting one.

Advertisement