Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in cages.

• 04-10-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭

I know of several people who keep thier dogs in a cage in the garden for some reason.What's the point having a dog if it's locked in a cage,at night fair enough but surely it's just a bit cruel to have them locked up all day.Just bugs me a bit when I see it so I thought I'd have a moan about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I know of some people that have dog runs in the garden. the dogs are kept in them at certain times of day.
    Not sure about cages though, I assume you mean something smaller than a run? I dont know what the piont of that would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kneemos wrote: »
    I know of several people who keep thier dogs in a cage in the garden for some reason.What's the point having a dog if it's locked in a cage,at night fair enough but surely it's just a bit cruel to have them locked up all day.Just bugs me a bit when I see it so I thought I'd have a moan about it.

Do you mean a dog run? Its much safer to keep a dog in there, esp if theres a risk they can get out of the garden or escape if you arent there all day. Once the dog is getting enough exercise apart from that, theres nothing wrong with a dog being in a proper dog run for a few hours during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No just cages.

Sounds like a puppy farm to me if you ask me.... Sure how would the dog have shelter if its in a cage? I would def report that to the ISPCA.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »

No much bigger,maybe ten by ten foot and four or five feet high.There not puppy farms just peoples pets who are kept in cages at the end of the garden.I can think of about five that I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You are talking about a run, it is a safe and effective way of containing your dog. A lot of working dogs would be left in a run all the time whereas pets would be kept there while owners are away or giving the dog air.

You are talking about a run, it is a safe and effective way of containing your dog. A lot of working dogs would be left in a run all the time whereas pets would be kept there while owners are away or giving the dog air.

Looks cruel to me whatever you call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Be more cruel to let the dogs wander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Less cruel than risking the dog getting out and being run over, or risking an opportunistic thief stealing the dog, or forcing it to try hold its bladder and bowel for up to 8 hours, which they'd have to if they were in a house. Actually, if they were in a house they'd probably have even less space than that.

A lot of dogs tend to nap a lot during the day, often the only reason that mine would move more than 5' from the bed is to demand a belly rub. Being in a 10' run for a few hours while their owner is at work isn't cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

kylith wrote: »
    Less cruel than risking the dog getting out and being run over, or risking an opportunistic thief stealing the dog.

A lot of dogs tend to nap a lot during the day, often the only reason that mine would move more than 5' from the bed is to demand a belly rub. Being in a 10' run for a few hours while their owner is at work isn't cruel.

This. As long as the dog has food/water/shelter and isnt there 24/7, I think this is responsible dog ownership. Granted, mine are indoors but thats my preference. I dont see the issue?

Then its a dog run not a cage, as thats what i thought it was. Nothing wrong with them at all. They are the safe and responsible way to keep your dog contained when you arent there.

This. As long as the dog has food/water/shelter and isnt there 24/7, I think this is responsible dog ownership. Granted, mine are indoors but thats my preference. I dont see the issue?

The issue is having the dog locked up for most of it's life.What's the point having it if you have to keep it caged.

The issue is having the dog locked up for most of it's life.What's the point having it if you have to keep it caged.

But are you sure its 'most of its life'? If the dog is in there 24/7, its owners never interact with it or take it for walks then yes its an issue. Containing the dog while they are at work, out for a while, have visitors etc - theres no issue.

Like I said, not my preference, I keep mine indoors but thats not for everyone.

Keeping them in a run is far safer and more responsible than letting them wander.

And you keep saying 'caged'. Its not a cage, its a run. Some dog owners even have their dogs sleep in cages - they're called crates. My fella slept in one for a few weeks when I had him first as it's what he was used to. He loved it - it was his little den - I'd often find him climbing into it during the day for a nap. He's even close the door on it himself. He prefers sleeping with his mate now so i dont use it anymore.

Point is, it might look wrong to you but the dogs are probably quite happy.

Why have you got a problem calling them cages?

Because they arent cages, they are dog runs, very big difference.

Why have you got a problem calling them cages?

no problem if thats what they are but they're not. I think you are falling into the trap of humanising the dog. Looks like no matter what I say, you're not going to listen anyway. from my last post, you latched onto the 'cage' word? Did none of the rest of it register?

If they are used responsibly I'd imagine a few hours a day locked up is probably no harm but from what I've seen they seem to spend most of thier lives in these things.Not making judgements just find it strange.

But sure then that probably makes me cruel. I work full time, getting home at lunch for 45 minutes. The rest of the day, my dogs are 'locked up' inside the house.

Like I said, as long as the dog has shelter, water and food and is walked and interacted with when the owner comes home, I see no issue.

no problem if thats what they are but they're not. I think you are falling into the trap of humanising the dog. Looks like no matter what I say, you're not going to listen anyway. from my last post, you latched onto the 'cage' word? Did none of the rest of it register?

Sounds like your trying to make them more humane by calling them dog runs,which thier clearly not.

• Advertisement

Sounds like your trying to make them more humane by calling them dog runs,which thier clearly not.

Of course they are humane. Do they hurt or injure the dog?? No, they keep them safe from harm, being stolen and stop them from wandering the streets or escaping from someones garden.
    Please tell me how they are not humane?

My dogs are in a stable from 9-1pm, get a run at lunch, then back to the stable from 2-5pm then home to my house for the eve where they get walks etc. So they are kept confined and SAFE for the hours that im not with them, its what RESPONSIBLE owners do and looks like these owners are being responsible too with their dog runs.

Dogs sleep for most of the day in case you didnt know, they dont go galloping around the garden all day, so once they are getting their daily exercise, putting them in a dog run is prefectly fine.

Do you own a dog btw?

:rolleyes: ok kneemos, i give up - you're right and i'm wrong. maybe you should ring the ISPCA and report the owners if you feel so strongly.

:rolleyes: ok kneemos, i give up - you're right and i'm wrong. maybe you should ring the ISPCA and report the owners if you feel so strongly.

I don't feel that strongly,I'm not trying to have a go at anyone,but as I said from what I've seen these things aren't used responsibly.

I don't feel that strongly,I'm not trying to have a go at anyone,but as I said from what I've seen these things aren't used responsibly.

How and in what way are they not? Do the dogs looks distressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

@kneemos where do you keep your dogs when you are not at home???

gregers85 wrote: »
    @kneemos where do you keep your dogs when you are not at home???

When I had a dog they were left in the garden.

andreac wrote: »
    How and in what way are they not? Do the dogs looks distressed?

One of looked distressed,he was trying his best to get out,the others maybe didn't know anything else which is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well then report the owners http://www.ispca.ie/suspect_animal_cruelty/ and let someone who knows what they are talking about decide whether it's cruelty and neglect or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

When I had a dog they were left in the garden.

is your garden enclosed?? if it is I dont see the difference in having them in an enclosed run! All my dogs are kept in dog runs during the day while I'm at work and they are all healthy and happy dogs!!

• Advertisement

If you are seriously concerned for the welfare of the dogs then report them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement