Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in cages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

kaza2710 wrote: »
    This argument is clearly going nowhere so I am out.

Yup! With you on that one! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

No need to shout maggiepip - the caps/bold are coming across as aggressive.

The OP's posts are inconsistent so its kinda hard to establish what his actual gripe is. Dog runs full stop or irresponsible use?

I dont think anyone here is supporting keeping a dog in a run or a crate 24/7.

I have no wish to come across aggressive - I should have used the bold key instead as I was just emphasising some points as you do in speech. I didnt quite realise that using caps made you aggressive. I will use bold in future - I presume that is acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

maggiepip wrote: »
    Again - no one said RESPONSIBLE use of these tools was cruel - WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT READING THE POSTS PROPERLY. Its long term overuse which is the problem and this point is being missed. Your dogs obviously have a lovely well balanced life and you integrate them well into family life also......the OP is talking about dogs ALWAYS in a pen.

I am reading the posts. So the OP spends their entire time watching other people's dogs? How does the OP know that the 5 or so dogs that he/she has seen in cages at the end of peoples' gardens are in there for 23 hours a day?

The OP seems to have changed their position from all use of cages is wrong to some use is wrong, no wonder people are confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

maggiepip wrote: »
    This is an excellent post and my thoughts exactly.

I cannot stand people who think it is ok to leave a dog in a crate all day while they are at work - or even worse still just to keep the dog out of the way.

For gods sake dogs need room to move around - there is also lots of research now that dogs are developing muscle wastage, and kidney problems (from holding too long) and BIG behavioural problems from being locked in crates all day.

It is inhumane - and I also cant stand the "repeaters" who have been brainwashed by the companies who sell these crate chant out the mantra "they are the dogs den and they love it" OMG!!! - if a crate is left OPEN for a dog and they love it then thats great - and it does mimic a den because the dog has a CHOICE to go into it or not and leave as they please. If someone MUST lock their dog in for the odd hour here and there that is ok, but not 5,6,7 hours a day (and often more)

A dogs den in the wild is NOT a place they are LOCKED into by humans and have to wait hours for humans to let them out.

The OP sounds like she is upset seeing dogs out in runs all the time - and so would I be. Why in the name of god cant people who decide to get a dog put up some fencing???? - answer they couldnt be bothered and a pen is an easy solution. Give them some space. Runs are also ok for SHORT periods of time here and there but out all day (and god forbid maybe night) in an area of a few feet is horrible for a dog - even if they do get their 1 hour walk - that leaves 23 hours locked up. Wow ..what a life for a dog!!!!!

Of course the people who do this tell us their dogs are really happy.......thats talk to suit themselves - or the dog sleeps all the time....REALLY ? perhaps they have nothing else to do and are bored off their trollies. When people do have to leave their dogs alone fence off some garden space - if you are leaving your dogs indoors while you are out for hours and hours - why cant you just plug out electric wires if you are concerned about safety (perhaps that would be too much trouble??) or leave them in the kitchen with wires unplugged.

Why cant people include dogs a a family member?? why cant they train them not to be destructive - if thats an issue. What a lot of people have intense ignorance about are dogs are not "just a dog, and dogs should be outside" Dogs are happiest and also programmed to be in the company of their human family with lots of stimulation - DOMESTICATION did this to them - it changed their DNA. They want fun, company, interaction and love and thrive on family life balanced between being indoors and out.

So to the OP - I know exactly where you are coming from.

Wish I could thank this post twice. It says everything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kneemos wrote: »
    I would feel uneasy about reporting it if I'm honest as I don't think it would achieve much,plus from what I've seen and the posts here it appears to be quite a common thing to lock up your dog.Don't know if there's much they could do anyway if the dogs being well fed and exercised.Its the pointlessness of it that get's me,why have a dog if you have to keep it locked up and if you do have to keep it locked up perhaps you shouldn't have one in fairness to the dog.

tbh there'd be little point :( Animal abuse is not really punished at all in this country.

• Advertisement

Looks like your adding two and two and coming up with nine there Kaza.I said yesterday I had no problem using them for a few hours or indeed at night.The issue from the start has been overuse.I do have a problem calling them "dog runs"who came up with that one?

Does this not clarify exactly what the OPs point is? The OP has also used a little irony in some of her posts which some are failing to "get" or perhaps not reading properly.

If they are used responsibly I'd imagine a few hours a day locked up is probably no harm but from what I've seen they seem to spend most of thier lives in these things.Not making judgements just find it strange.

This is also another clarification of his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I used to crate my dog inside during her early months over night as she couldn't really be trusted on her own indoors - but I didn't really like doing so. There was a kennel outside but I didn't want her to whine during the small hours as she was prone to doing and annoy the neighbours! I think crates are ok for the short-term but it doesn't seem right to lock a dog up without a good bit of space to roam for any length of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    I used to crate my dog inside during her early months over night as she couldn't really be trusted on her own indoors - but I didn't really like doing so. There was a kennel outside but I didn't want her to whine during the small hours as she was prone to doing and annoy the neighbours! I think crates are ok for the short-term but it doesn't seem right to lock a dog up without a good bit of space to roam for any length of time...

then WHY BUY A DOG IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!!?!? u seem deluded to think that allowing a dog or any animal to be caged up is perfectly normal!! NO it is not right to lock up a dog for ANY length of time!

ISDW wrote: »
    Some dogs are great escape artists, so a dog run will keep them safe.

are you actually joking? why would a dog feel the need to be a "great escape artist" if he actually liked where he was ....

"escape artist" ..... ive heard it all now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

mariecxx wrote: »
    are you actually joking? why would a dog feel the need to be a "great escape artist" if he actually liked where he was ....

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You really should do a bit more research into dogs. yes you are right, dogs are humans and if they like where they are, they will never try to get out. why on earth do people use leads, surely if a dog likes the person he's with, he will always just walk right next to them and never leave their side. Why on earth does anybody ever both fencing their garden? A dog will never leave the property if they like where they are. :rolleyes:

Maybe look into prey drive in dogs, just for a starting point in your research.

Complete and utter clap trap! Have u ever owned a terrier? Well guess what, they like to chase things; cats, balls, anything that moves really. If they aren't secure they'll chase something under the wheels of a car.

You say 'cages' (your word) shouldn't be used at all in one post and then you highlight where another poster says they're ok for certaain times and agree with them? Make up your mind.

I note the 'fifteen' posts - I'm assuming you just joined to come on here To troll and argue.

Probably the stupidest post on this forum, never mind thread. Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Complete and utter clap trap! Have u ever owned a terrier? Well guess what, they like to chase things; cats, balls, anything that moves really. If they aren't secure they'll chase something under the wheels of a car.

You say 'cages' (your word) shouldn't be used at all in one post and then you highlight where another poster says they're ok for certaain times and agree with them? Make up your mind.

I note the 'fifteen' posts - I'm assuming you just joined to come on here To troll and argue.

Check posters names.

Check posters names.

???

???

I didn't write the last post your complaining about,also I don't think there is a limit on the number of posts somebody can make.If you have a problem with a poster you should contact a mod not call thier posts stupid because you don't agree or tell them to grow up.

I wasn't talking to you I was referring to the poster I quoted??

Posts 70, 71 and 72. Nowt to do with you - and I don't see mod after your name either :)

And I'm not just disagreeing - it's contradicting and nonsensical in everyway.

I wasn't talking to you I was referring to the poster I quoted??

Posts 70, 71 and 72. Nowt to do with you - and I don't see mod after your name either :)

And I'm not just disagreeing - it's contradicting and nonsensical in everyway.

You did say fifteen posts and actually quote some of my previous posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

then WHY BUY A DOG IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!!?!? u seem deluded to think that allowing a dog or any animal to be caged up is perfectly normal!! NO it is not right to lock up a dog for ANY length of time!

Righteo, i should have just allowed an 8 week old puppy to roam around the house on her own at night. I'm sure she'd have been fine. :rolleyes:

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Either a troll or a nutjob....

erm stalker .... I in no way condone cages.. and ur hilarious comment about me only joining to troll is quite ironic

"Probably the stupidest post on this forum, never mind thread. Grow up."

.... hmmm yep u seem lovely :pac:

for your information, i own a jack russell and volunteer at several animal homes.. so i no EXACTLY what they are like.. yes secure them in a garden, a field but NOT a cage.. do you own a dog? are they subjected to cages? from the type of posts you're writing, YOU GROW UP.... pfffft...

You did say fifteen posts and actually quote some of my previous posts.

Sigh. At that time the poster had 15 posts in total and the three specific posts where what I was referring to. This is nonsense altogether. Goodnight.

• Advertisement

erm stalker .... I in no way condone cages.. and ur hilarious comment about me only joining to troll is quite ironic

"Probably the stupidest post on this forum, never mind thread. Grow up."

.... hmmm yep u seem lovely :pac:

for your information, i own a jack russell and volunteer at several animal homes.. so i no EXACTLY what they are like.. yes secure them in a garden, a field but NOT a cage.. do you own a dog? are they subjected to cages? from the type of posts you're writing, YOU GROW UP.... pfffft...

And you sound mad. I have two dogs by the way. And they stay indoors. Stalker?? This thread is completely ridiculous. Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Would love to know these animal homes you volunteer at which don't use cages/pens/runs (whatever name you want to call it, so many used throughout this thread :rolleyes:).

Pens are necessary for keeping dogs on your own property, not allowing them to escape causing hassle with livestock, defecating in neighbours gardens, causing disagreements with other dogs, getting in the way of traffic.........should I really go on to the advantages and safety issues for both people and dogs for keeping dogs confined in their own pens for a couple of hours a day?

As for escape artistry in dogs? Feck that, plenty of sheep and cows manage to get out our way. You'd think the buggers would be happy in the acres they're allowed to roam, but dammit the grass on the side of the road is more appealing :rolleyes: Really should look into a few more breeds of dogs, some are notourious for getting out, especially the more "ancient" or "primitive" breeds.

Sigh. At that time the poster had 15 posts in total and the three specific posts where what I was referring to. This is nonsense altogether. Goodnight.

what? so i only have a few posts therefore im not allowed an opinion?

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Would love to know these animal homes you volunteer at which don't use cages/pens/runs (whatever name you want to call it, so many used throughout this thread :rolleyes:).

Pens are necessary for keeping dogs on your own property, not allowing them to escape causing hassle with livestock, defecating in neighbours gardens, causing disagreements with other dogs, getting in the way of traffic.........should I really go on to the advantages and safety issues for both people and dogs for keeping dogs confined in their own pens for a couple of hours a day?

As for escape artistry in dogs? Feck that, plenty of sheep and cows manage to get out our way. You'd think the buggers would be happy in the acres they're allowed to roam, but dammit the grass on the side of the road is more appealing :rolleyes: Really should look into a few more breeds of dogs, some are notourious for getting out, especially the more "ancient" or "primitive" breeds.

right this is ridiculous.. if u look back at the very beginning of this... the poster was referring to "cages".. a garden is completely different... a cage is where one cannot move. completely different. this is ridiculous and stupid. goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

And had you read the thread it would have come to your attention that it was indeed runs/pens that the OP was actually referring to.

Apologies as I assumed you had read all, seeing as you quoted other peoples posts.

right this is ridiculous.. if u look back at the very beginning of this... the poster was referring to "cages".. a garden is completely different... a cage is where one cannot move. completely different. this is ridiculous and stupid. goodbye.

I was reffering to "dog runs"I was calling them cages,which they are large cages.

No just cages.

u were talking about cages

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    And had you read the thread it would have come to your attention that it was indeed runs/pens that the OP was actually referring to.

Apologies as I assumed you had read all, seeing as you quoted other peoples posts.

it was cages

Looks cruel to me whatever you call it.

you admitted urself its cruel ...

• Advertisement

all im saying is i think cages/pens (they're all the same) are both unecessary and cruel. a dog or any animal to be in an enclosure like this all day everyday is simply not fair. just my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement