Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco scales

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

I went to pay for banannas on a self service till. produce weighed and price entered and certain amount. The machine wouldnt accept coins then so i started again on another machine which weighedand price the product nearly 10% dearer! I was in a rush so couldnt complain. Who validates these scales on self service machines in likes of tesco?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

The scales are measured and weighed and logged at least once a week. If you lean on them in any way (which happens more than you might imagine), it will add to the weight of the scales. I have seen people put keys, bags, wallets etc. on them without thinking. If, for whatever reason, the scales has been pulled up (happens occasionally too), it will mis-weigh.

What I'm getting at is that the scales were likely wrong because of human error rather than malfunction.

Keep an eye on the screen before you weigh -- you will be able to see a 0:00 gram weight on that if the scales are correct.

If you've any suspicions that it's wrong at all, call the attendant and ask them to push the "scale zero" button for you before you weigh anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

If the scale of the check-out weights something incorrect, shouldn't the second scale, where you put your shopping after you've scanned it, catch the error. It should be very unlikely, that both scales are wrong by exactly the same margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,414 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mdebets wrote: »
    If the scale of the check-out weights something incorrect, shouldn't the second scale, where you put your shopping after you've scanned it, catch the error. It should be very unlikely, that both scales are wrong by exactly the same margin.

I don't think the second set of scales are anywhere near as sensitive.

I think they simply make sure you don't buy try and pass off a litre bottle of Whiskey as a naggin.

noodler wrote: »
    I don't think the second set of scales are anywhere near as sensitive.

I think they simply make sure you don't buy try and pass off a litre bottle of Whiskey as a naggin.

They actually are that sensitive. That's why the freak out when you so much as put a reusable bag on them without scanning it.

Millicent wrote: »
    They actually are that sensitive. That's why the freak out when you so much as put a reusable bag on them without scanning it.

Those brown reusable bags are quite weighty imo.

I remember an ocassion when I accidently put a chocolate bar down on the bagging area without scanning it through and there was no error message.

• Advertisement

Those brown reusable bags are quite weighty imo.

I remember an ocassion when I accidently put a chocolate bar down on the bagging area without scanning it through and there was no error message.

I'd guess that was someone approving the weight without even checking it. From working those tills, they are ridiculously and irritatingly sensitive. They pick up on everything.

I'd guess that was someone approving the weight without even checking it. From working those tills, they are ridiculously and irritatingly sensitive. They pick up on everything.

How do you mean approve?

I mean, every single thing isn't manually approved.

Staff only come over to the scales when there is an issue and there isn't always somebody standing by the machines (usually there is but they don't seem to be doing much unless there is an issue).

How do you mean approve?

I mean, every single thing isn't manually approved.

Staff only come over to the scales when there is an issue and there isn't always somebody standing by the machines (usually there is but they don't seem to be doing much unless there is an issue).

They can press a button on their computer screen to override stuff without having to come over to you. I worked those machines for about four years. They pick up on everything that goes on the second scale without being scanned unless the machine is seriously malfunctioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

If you lean on them in any way (which happens more than you might imagine), it will add to the weight of the scales. I have seen people put keys, bags, wallets etc. on them without thinking.

That really is stupidity. Anyone who does that deserves to be overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

The original scales could have been undercharging, while the second set were correct.

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    That really is stupidity. Anyone who does that deserves to be overcharged.

I've seen worse. Working those tills is the definition of retail hell...

Advertisement