Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New soft sole basketball shoes

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

My Nike Hyperdunk 2011's are falling apart and I'm looking to get a new decent pair that have good ankle support, breathable and are soft to jump on too. The hyperdunks were good in all this regard but I think they fell apart a bit too easily, they started peeling pretty soon after I started wearing them and the sole is half way off at the moment.

Are air jordans always a good bet? There's a million variations of them though...

budget isn't really an issue since I get so much use out of them, but I'd prefer to pay for a quality shoe rather than some players name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Jordans are horrible to play in, they look good but they gave me shin splints, they might suit others though..

I use Adidas Rose 2.5's now and find them great. I've just bought a pair of the Rose 773's which are arriving this week, hopefully there as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm in the same boat as cormie. Had a pair of Hyperdunks for basketball only for the past year or so, they were reasonably comfortable, light and I don't think I ever rolled an ankle in them. They did rub a bit on my ankle as I was breaking them in, enough to draw blood, and I suffered some shin trouble too.

Not bothered by names, how they look or price, just want a comfortable shoe with good support.
    I'm going over to the US in a few weeks so might be able to take advantage of a wider selection there, if I knew what to look for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

the adidas crazy lights might be worth a look as well, there's another crowd from the states that makes 'The only shoe banned from the NBA' look good but I've no idea what the are like. . I had a set of air jordans years ago and thought they were pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

ec18 wrote: »
    the adidas crazy lights might be worth a look as well, there's another crowd from the states that makes 'The only shoe banned from the NBA' look good but I've no idea what the are like. . I had a set of air jordans years ago and thought they were pretty good.

I preferred the rose 2.5's to the crazylights, there less bulky / stiff and there cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think I might take a gamble with these: http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:181198/sku:256454/adidas-crazy-shadow-mens/navy/black/?cm=searchadidascrazyshadow

They don't have a lot of reviews, but the small amount of reviews seem good and they seem to be somewhat a successor to the crazy lights. Material looks ok too so hopefully they won't fall apart.

• Advertisement

Arghh, shipping is $40, expensive when the shoes are only $99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

IMO you can't go wrong wtih a pair of Kobe's. Any of the last 3 are fantastic shoes and the flywire technology is quite impressive. I was a bit iffy about getting low tops but I have never had better support from a basketball shoe.

I know someone who went from Kobe Vs to CP3s this year and was not impressed. The same support just is not there.

Just having a look at Kobe's, seem to have some good reviews alright. Are the VII's among the good ones you mention?

They are €145 I think with the custom maker, where I see you can change the sole to outdoor which might give them a bit more durability. I play outdoor too so could be good to have for that too.

So far it's between the Kobe's and the Shadows I linked to above I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

You can but the adidas from the irish site and it's only ~ €7 shipping

Just ordered Crazy Shadows I linked to above from Eastbay.

Good timing, they dropped $20 since yesterday so even though shipping was now at 50% product cost, I still went for it.. even better, a quick google for "eastbay discount code" gave me this code: LKS1RMNJ to get 15% off an order above $75, so all in, it came to $108, shipped, so just under €85. Now let's just hope customs don't nab them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

cormie wrote: »
    Just ordered Crazy Shadows I linked to above from Eastbay.

Good timing, they dropped $20 since yesterday so even though shipping was now at 50% product cost, I still went for it.. even better, a quick google for "eastbay discount code" gave me this code: LKS1RMNJ to get 15% off an order above $75, so all in, it came to $108, shipped, so just under €85. Now let's just hope customs don't nab them!

You will be nabbed through eastbay. I buy regularly from them and they use DHL (or one if the other couriers) and you have to pay Customs before they hand it over.....sorry!

That's not good to hear but thanks for the warning!

Just rang UPS to get an estimated delivery time as the delivery is scheduled for today on the tracking. They said any time between 09:00 and 19:00 :( Plus I've to pay 41eur duties :mad:

I wonder, if I was to wait in the bushes and grab my package off the driver before he gets to my door, is it technically stealing since it's mine? :P

EDIT: So the cost of the shoes works out around 61eur, then the cost of shipping and import duties together is working out to be 73eur. What bollocks.

Just rang UPS to get an estimated delivery time as the delivery is scheduled for today on the tracking. They said any time between 09:00 and 19:00 :( Plus I've to pay 41eur duties :mad:

I wonder, if I was to wait in the bushes and grab my package off the driver before he gets to my door, is it technically stealing since it's mine? :P

Told ya! Sorry though, it's always a kick in the balls when you get that call. You can collect from their depot if that suits you better if that's any help?

Technically they're not yours until you've paid in full (incl. relevant taxes though)........but hey, mug away! :eek:

Haha, was just a thought ;)

What happens if they don't fit well, I have to send them back, and then they send a replacement back, can they be nabbed aswell?

I can't stand paying more for duties and shipping than the product itself!

Haha, was just a thought ;)

What happens if they don't fit well, I have to send them back, and then they send a replacement back, can they be nabbed aswell?

I can't stand paying more for duties and shipping than the product itself!

Ah jaysus.....

Then you're in for a world of pain via paperwork - those hard working people in customs obviously love forms. No, you don't have to pay again, but the amount of paperwork they make you do will make paying seem like a much better option. I hope they fit for your sake!

Me too. Thanks a lot. I don't know how they got a figure of €42 from a product worth only $79, I know they take shipping into account too and then throw on another load of related charges.

So I was out this morning and checked the tracking and noticed a delivery attempt had been made. I came back and thought the chap couldn't be too far so drove around for 5 minutes, dropped into a shop to get a few things and drove around for another few minutes and spotted the van. Paid the 42eur at the side of the road, got my package, took it home and Eastbay mixed up my delivery with some David Yu from California and I now have a black pair of Nike Hyperdunk 2012's!

They are worth $60 more than the ones I ordered so I don't know if the €42 I paid was calculated off this price or what..

So I was out this morning and checked the tracking and noticed a delivery attempt had been made. I came back and thought the chap couldn't be too far so drove around for 5 minutes, dropped into a shop to get a few things and drove around for another few minutes and spotted the van. Paid the 42eur at the side of the road, got my package, took it home and Eastbay mixed up my delivery with some David Yu from California and I now have a black pair of Nike Hyperdunk 2012's!

They are worth $60 more than the ones I ordered so I don't know if the €42 I paid was calculated off this price or what..

If you like them, keep them. If not....hope you have a few spare biros! :rolleyes:

Email Eastbay though, they're very good at sorting out mistakes.

They aren't the right size unfortunately. I'm not too pushed on having paid import duties on a higher priced product so I'll see what Eastbay suggest, on live chat to them now :)

• Advertisement

Just off chat to Eastbay, I'm allowed keep the wrong shoes having paid the import duties on them and they are going to send my correct order soon too and will be sending David his correct order too and don't need me to send the shoes back :) Works out good for everyone I guess!

Kinda figured that's what they'd do (hence why I suggested it), but didn't want to get your hopes up.

They sent me a sweatshirt last a couple of years ago in the wrong size. When I contacted them they told me to keep it and sent a replacement....and a $25 off next order gift cert thing. Happy days!

Glad it worked out...and I look forward to seeing those hyperdunks on adverts.ie!

Hehe, yeah I think I'll pop them up on the facebook basketball groups I play with for €90. That's the cost of my shoes, customs on the Hyperdunks and assumed customs on the Adidas divided by 2 pretty much. They are €140 on Nike Ireland + delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Me too. Thanks a lot. I don't know how they got a figure of €42 from a product worth only $79, I know they take shipping into account too and then throw on another load of related charges.

They base it on the local (Irish) cost, rather that what you actually paid. Normally their local valuations are f0cking daft.

Got the crazy shadows today, right size (in fact a half size bigger than usual as is recommended on the Eastbay page) but they are wayyy to tight so if anyone else is thinking about getting them, I'd go with at least a size bigger.

This is the downside to ordering stuff online as opposed to trying on a pair in a shoe shop!

So after being a little put off with the crazy shadow sizing issue (mainly afraid if I reorder another size they will be off too), I did a good bit of looking into another pair and based on all the reviews I've seen, the Nike Hyperfuse look like the new choice. They are designed for both indoor and outdoor which suits me as I believe some outdoor play in the hyperdunks made them fall apart a little. I listened to this guys review and it's pretty convincing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iwW4wog04o

Here they are on Eastbay: http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:180713/sku:25019401/nike-hyperfuse-mens/navy/white/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

Another contender were the Jordan air lite: http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:180966/sku:24922001/jordan-aj-2012-lite-mens/black/white/?cm=searchjordanshoes#sku=24922052 but I think the durability of the Hyperfuse has won me over for outdoor play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

great site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Got a pair of Air Flight 89 off Santa and they are super comfy. Just like they were in '89'
    Also i have the Air Jordan 4 another comfy shoe. And the 10's are a great shoe too.
    Also the Jordan 'Play in these Q' are a great light shoe. DOnt really have any info on other brands as i only really wear nike/jordan

• Advertisement
Advertisement