Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still a bit of body fat on me but wondering whether do work on cardio or strength?

• 04-10-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Ok, so first off I know that post looks weird but I have no idea what my "goals" are and I know goals can be achieved by proper dieting and working out right hence why they are there too.
    First off: I'm 18. I weigh about 87-89kg. I'm 6 ft 3. I recently joined a gym. College student (low budget).
    This is what I look like now.As you can see I'm thin enough, but I still have some unshiftable fat on my stomach.
    http://imgur.com/a/gPBwL

At the moment my (regular) diet is breakfast: weatabiz (4 biscuits), lunch rice (2 cups), or a plate of chips, depending on whether I'm in college or at home, dinner Pasta (or a pizza) and at night I sometimes have 4 more weatabix , but that depends on whether I ate dinner early or late.

Ok, so to clarify, I know in my head what my goal is, and that is to get into shape, but I don't know what that phrase really is, or what workout regime that I would need. (i've been told if I work out I could look like Thad from Blue Mountain state, and yes I'd like to look like that)

I want to gain muscle, but look thing and lean. I want to get toned, but still be able to run, jog and cycle. I enjoy cycling regularly and running too. I fear that if I'm gaining mass from muscle I won't be physically fit.
    I have joined a gym so treadmills, all weight equipment, pools and bikes are availible to me.
    I know the basics of muscle gain, protein consuption and calries mean gain in mass. But I don't want to be eating loads and loads of calories and just gain fat. I've recently lost a lot of weight so I really don't want to gain the wrong kind of weight.
    So what should I be doing? Should I be eating loads, lifting and doing cardio? Or eating little, doing cardio and weights? Or eat loads the days I lift, less the days I run/cycle?
    Please help.
    If anyone has any thing they want to ask me that may help then please do so.
    SO should I try and reduce my body fat level seperately or will that come with building muscle??

I've also been told to do weights one day, then cardio the next, then weights, then cardio, then weights, then rest.Is that a good idea? If so what diet should i follow?

Also I'm not weak either. I can squat 60kg and bench 50kg, so I can do starting workouts easily... I presume.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

tankosaurus, epic name.

Your diet is fairly **** from a elite level point of view. Just going to say that now rather than try and break it in slowly. If you really wanted six pack abs and all that jazz, you'd want to be focusing on your dietary improvements big time.

For someone your age, if you fixed your diet, you'd probably grow on any strength routine.
    "Squat, deadlift, pull up, bench, OH press, row. Base your training mostly around those and you won't go far wrong."

Incorporate some hIIT / tabata style training and some running / rowing machine and you'll progress very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tankosaurus

tankosaurus, epic name.

Your diet is fairly **** from a elite level point of view. Just going to say that now rather than try and break it in slowly. If you really wanted six pack abs and all that jazz, you'd want to be focusing on your dietary improvements big time.

For someone your age, if you fixed your diet, you'd probably grow on any strength routine.

Incorporate some hIIT / tabata style training and some running / rowing machine and you'll progress very well.

Could you suggest any diets for me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

Well I don't think there is any fad diet I could recommend. I would suggest you try to eat clean and healthy 90% of the time. As an exercise maybe you would like to list out 20 foods you think are clean and 5 or 10 you would consider not so.

E.g in your opinion where does a hot chicken fillet baguette go

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tankosaurus

Well I assumed it would be clean as chicken is good and so is bread.

But this may also be a trick question....

I'd say it depends on the extras really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Well I assumed it would be clean as chicken is good and so is bread.

But this may also be a trick question....

I'd say it depends on the extras really.

Hot chicken baguette from your local shop or service station is gonna be poo. Watery pumped up processed chicken. I would exclude that from your diet as of yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭rock27

As stated before try clean your diet up. Avoid processed foods. Google maintenance calories, make that number up as follows. Try get two grams of protein per kg bodyweight. Restrict your carbs to rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. A hot chicken roll is a million miles from clean food.
    Add in some fats like fish, olive oil etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Read this thread from Health and Fitness. It has all the information you need.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963342

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Cill94

First off you really need to establish what your goals are. It's illogical to expect results when you don't know what you want them to be.

However the first thing I can pinpoint that is acting as a roadblock to losing fat is your diet. If you're serious about losing the fat then the best option will be to go paleo. If you don't know what the paleo diet is then look it up online. Essentially it is only eating what was available in the paleolithic era, and what our bodies are still designed to process and use most efficiently. What this will mean in layman's terms is removing all grains and processed foods from your diet, as they are a prime culprit in storing fat, and your diet is littered with grains.

Breakfast- ditch the weetabix. You would be better off having fruit with natural yoghurt. At the very least have some porridge with fruit in it. Eggs are another good option too.

Lunch - If you have to eat rice make it wholegrain, and certainly ditch any notions of having chips. You'd be best off having a salad with lean meat like chicken or some fish, along with some vegetables.

Dinner - Pizza has very little good nutrition in it and is bread so: no. Have a dinner that is roughly 1/3 lean meat, 1/3 carbohydrates (potatoes seem to be a great source of this), and 1/3 vegetables.

If you want a snack in between you should take your pick between nuts, fruit and vegetables. Also with regards to becoming lean, fit and muscular, look no further than crossfit. Here's a list of workouts you could do to get started: http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/2007/11/27/named-crossfit-workouts-the-girls/

Some of those are quite difficult but Annie, Cindy and Helen would all be good ones to start with. If you train 2-3 times a week at max intensity and follow the diet strictly you will see results. I'd allow yourself one cheat day a week of eating as you usually would just to keep your morale up and give you something to look forward to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Why are people so afraid of eating egg yolks?! They're fine. Fat doesn't make you fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Cill94

shizz wrote: »
    Why are people so afraid of eating egg yolks?! They're fine. Fat doesn't make you fat.

Actually after doing a bit of research, you are right and I stand corrected!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Advertisement